FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox 3

SpellcasterDX
Is it worth it? What's new about it? Is it really buggy or is it stable for the most part?

I'm still using Firefox 2, and I don't know what to expect if and when I upgrade to FF3.
ciureanuc
"I'm still using Firefox 2, and I don't know what to expect if and when I upgrade to FF3."

If you think to upgrade from FF2 to FF3, you NEED to read this:

Firefox 3 mouse wheel text zoom

An annoyance with the latest Firefox 3 Beta. The ctrl-scroll wheel (aka mousewheel) page text resize shortcut inexplicably reversed itself since the last version of Firefox I was using. That is, Ctrl-WheelDown now makes the text smaller, whereas before it made it larger.

In fairness to Mozilla, this change actually makes the behaviour more in line with guidelines and probably, if you were a brand new Firefox user, it’d be more intuitive too.

But for those of us who have grown accustomed to the old behaviour and don’t want to bother retraining muscle memory, here is the secret… go to Firefox’s about:config settings page (type about:config into the location bar) and find the “mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines” setting, and change it from positive one to negative one. That is, after the change, the relevant prefs should be:

mousewheel.withcontrolkey.action = 3
mousewheel.withcontrolkey.numlines = -1

Problem solved. More information at Mozilla bug #141476.
Rajiev
I use FF3 at the moment. Cool nes feature like.

Cloning tabs (ctrl+ drag)
Moving from one window to another (dragging) ... etc
Some obious bug fixes ..

But I still preffer FF2 since it is light weight.

If you are using a old/slow machine with low (~250MB RAM) FF3 can make your machine slow.

here are some cool not-well-known features

Quote:

While the awesome bar, download pause and resume, malware protection, the new themes, and serious performance improvements are perhaps the most representative features introduced with Firefox 3, here are some other useful ones you may not be aware:

1. Duplicate tabs. Press Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) while dragging a tab to create a duplicate of the dragged tab including its history.
2. Move tabs to another window. Just drag a tab and drop it on another window to move it. If the dragged tab is the last one in its window, it will be closed.
3. Resize the search bar. When the search bar is placed next to the location bar, you can drag the handler between them (invisible on Windows and Linux) to resize it.
4. Add keyword search. Select Manage Search Engines… in the search engines menu to open the Search Engines Manager, select a search engine, press Edit Keyword… and enter a few characters to define one. Now you can enter the keyword followed by your search terms in the location bar to search with that plugin.
5. Discontinuous selections. Make a selection with the mouse as you usually do. Then press and hold the Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) key to make additional selections and create a larger discontinuous one so you can copy or print just what you need.
6. Integrated add-ons. No need to visit Mozilla Add-ons because Firefox 3 brings it to you directly from the Add-ons Manager new Get Add-ons page: search, find and install with a single click.
7. Disable plugins. Crashing? It may be a plugin. To be sure, disable the suspect through the new Plugins page in the Add-ons Manager.
8. Check your crashes. Enter about:crashes in the location bar to get a list of crashes submitted by Breakpad (Mozilla’s crash reporter). Click on a crash report to get details provided by Socorro, Mozilla’s crash reports server.

Code:
http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/07/firefox-3-features-you-may-not-know/
[/code][/quote]
riyadh
u should definitely upgrade to ff3...since it is not in beta anymore..it is stable..it hasnt crashed once since i installed and it is way faster than ff2..and if u can do use safari...it is fatser than ff2 or ff3
SpellcasterDX
Just one more question. Is 504MB of RAM enough to run it without it crashing?
Or is that too little?
lethaltriad
It runs good for me, alot of friends say that their internet pages load much quicker but they all load the same speed for me which is almost instantly so its hard to notice a difference. I figure 504 ram should be sufficient, usually my fox uses anywhere from 80-140 megs at any given time. Try it out though it uses just about the same ram as firefox 2 and i'm sure version 3 has some critical fixes/updates.
preel
I have FF3.0 now and i think its great! Razz i havent discovered any bugs yet. Maybe it's an illution but i think it starts up a little faster and load pages a little faster 2 Laughing but maybe my computer just speede up a little Dancing
revani
FF3 really is great. It uses less memory and it's slightly faster when lots of tabs are opened. Firefox 3 is the way!
SpellcasterDX
preel wrote:
I have FF3.0 now and i think its great! Razz i havent discovered any bugs yet. Maybe it's an illution but i think it starts up a little faster and load pages a little faster 2 Laughing but maybe my computer just speede up a little Dancing

For me it takes longer to start up then FF 2 did. lol.
It takes like 2 minutes to start up. FF 2 took like 1 min.

And I only have like 3 add-ons.
[FuN]goku
I've got it on my linux partition on my laptop. Honestly.... i hate it, and i'm sticking with FF2 as long as possible. I hate the whole thing where you type in your address bar, and as you type it will look for key words. I found that to be rather annoying. .. Meh.
Kerschi
Firefox is much more faster than Internet Explorer 7, but the update of some Pages do not work correct. Last time when i update my homespace, the changes was not visible, also when i clear my cookies.
Dennise
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Is it worth it? What's new about it? Is it really buggy or is it stable for the most part?

I'm still using Firefox 2, and I don't know what to expect if and when I upgrade to FF3.

I did the upgrade a couple weeks ago, and it went very smooth in a short time with no hickups.

FF3 is stable and fast but I do miss the automatic Wikipedia feature I had with FF2 that mysteriuosly dissapeared with FF3.

I use a home brew Windows PC running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pak 3. Wink
moorthyrweb
Firefox3 is stable and fast. Simply superb.
Diablosblizz
Quote:
I've got it on my linux partition on my laptop. Honestly.... i hate it, and i'm sticking with FF2 as long as possible. I hate the whole thing where you type in your address bar, and as you type it will look for key words. I found that to be rather annoying. .. Meh.

You are able to disable this feature. More information can be found here:

http://www.pcmech.com/article/firefox-3-disable-the-smart-location-bar-sort-of/
dmystic
FF3 is faster, so its better
FF3 is more stable, so better too
so i would go for FF3
infinisa
One of the features I really like in FF3 (that FF2 didn't have) is that when you close the program, it saves the tabs you have open. As I often I have several tabs open with pages I need often, this saves me a lot of time when I restart FF3.

Another feature I really like is the spell checker. However, I'm not sure that this new in FF3 - I just know I didn't use it in FF2.
achowles
I'm sticking with FF2. Personally I'd sooner use IE than FF3. I really don't understand how they could have made it that terrible. There are some very serious bugs in it.

Ah well, with any luck an alternative browser will be released before FF2 is no longer supported.
rshackelford
I like Firefox 3 a lot. I haven't had too many problems with it, less than Firefox 2 anyway. At first I found the smart bar thing annoying, but now I'm more use to it so it doesn't bother me, even though I still don't really like it all that much.
oufti
the problem with the new version of firefox 3.0 3.1, 3.2, 3.3
the update of the theme and addon is the big problem

like greasemonkey script ou autocopy addon etc...

i'm afraid now to update my ff 3.01 to newer version because i'm thing i loose more that i win
KHO
SpellcasterDX wrote:

Original post, July 12th 8am

rshackelford wrote:
I like Firefox 3 a lot. I haven't had too many problems with it, less than Firefox 2 anyway. At first I found the smart bar thing annoying, but now I'm more use to it so it doesn't bother me, even though I still don't really like it all that much.

The bump 4 months later =|

Firefox 3 has been out for sometime now, all addons should already be tailored for it or considered un maintained and therefore obsolete.
guanzz
the firefox is good
Brownst
Who cares about Firefox, get Chrome Smile
ssthanapati
firefox 3 works great for me... i feel its better than ff2

u should upgrade.. if u dont like u can always install ff2 again
ftv_flung
Thanks for posting that quote Rajiev!

I quite like the CTRL + drag to creating dupes of tabs!!

thanks very much for sharing