FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Couchsurfing

Libby
Has anyone else used this site?

http://www.couchsurfing.net/

I had to make a trip to Detroit, but I didn't have any money (especially after gas + food). This site hooked me up with a really nice person to stay with!! She showed me around the city and staying at someone's house was a lot nicer than staying at a hotel.

I can't wait to couchsurf again! Very Happy
ocalhoun
I've heard about such sites that connect people willing to share some space with people traveling... (There are several.) Does this one require that the traveler also offer hospitality? Does it screen members for quality? Does it require anything of the traveler?
Libby
ocalhoun wrote:
I've heard about such sites that connect people willing to share some space with people traveling... (There are several.) Does this one require that the traveler also offer hospitality? Does it screen members for quality? Does it require anything of the traveler?

It has a system where you can verify information about yourself (and hosts can choose not host unverified people if they want), and you can vouch for other members that you know. Travellers don't have to be able to host (I live with my parents so it's an impossibility for me). It has a pretty good search system so you can say, I want someone WITH a couch, who lives in XXXtown, who is verified, who doesn't smoke, and so on.
user2
people willing to share some space with people traveling... (There are several.) Does this one require that the traveler also offer hospitality
Melacos
Yes, there are several... Obviously the user-friendliest versions in our times, are the net-based ones.. Although 'Servas' is also an organization basically offering the same, but just demanding a bunch of paperwork and various personal requirements up front.. Only had good experiences with this though..

Guess Hospitality Club is another one...
profbis
I have beds in my place. And a tv with attached bathroom too. I own a hotel.

Couchsurfing is a great concept.......for me. Not you bill gates, but me.