FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I have a question about hosting.

phileplanet
Let's say you have a site that's hosted on Host A, and you have a file that you can download which is hosted Host B.

Assuming that both hosting sites pretty much have the same speed, is the download speed of the file faster if it is on the same host as the site or does it not matter?
Asylum
For the person downloading it would depend on the locations of the two hosts for the differences in speeds so you couldn't really say just from your above question, we would need more detail such as where they are located ect.
phileplanet
I just want to know generally, would the download speed of any file be faster if it were on the same host as the site that it's on, or would it be the same.

I just want to know if i should host a file on frihost or on another site so i don't use frihost's bandwith when i can use another host's bandwith.
gonzo
rcenterprises wrote:
I just want to know generally

Then generally no by construction since your premise is that both hosts are generally the same speed Wink

Quote:
if i should host a file on frihost or on another site so i don't use frihost's bandwith when i can use another host's bandwith.

How close to 10gigs/month are you??

Shocked
Gerardus™
If you really like to know wich one is faster, just put a file on both servers(hosts) and make that a 1 or 2 mb file, so that it will take a few seconds to download. The bigger the file, the better you can see difference in downloadtime. So then try to download it yourself first from both servers and see wich one is faster, then ask a friend in msn or yahoo or whatever, to also download the same 2 files from the different locations. That way you would have a pretty good idea of wich one is faster.
progman89
It doesn't matter how fast the servers are. The file transfer will be slightly slower than the speed of the last server you went through; ie, if you downloaded a file through Host A from Host B, it would be slightly slower than Host A's normal speed.
wildboinga
If both server speed is same, it doesn't matter which one you choose because download speed doesn't depend on server locations. But download speed will depend on your internet speed. As for example, if your internet speed is less than the server speed then you will not be able to download at server speed.
Sajupm
You have not mentioned about the distance between the servers...

If the servers are of same speed then there will be nothing to worry unless one of the servers is located nearby the download point.....

Regards
zimmer
phileplanet wrote:
Let's say you have a site that's hosted on Host A, and you have a file that you can download which is hosted Host B.

Assuming that both hosting sites pretty much have the same speed, is the download speed of the file faster if it is on the same host as the site or does it not matter?

What is your goal? Why do you need host A and host B? for what application?

I think you need to clarify and give us more details so that we can give you more options.
zacky
wildboinga wrote:
If both server speed is same, it doesn't matter which one you choose because download speed doesn't depend on server locations. But download speed will depend on your internet speed. As for example, if your internet speed is less than the server speed then you will not be able to download at server speed.

Sorry but I do not get your point why you replied to this grave post. ???
Ankhanu
Probably much the same reason you replied to something 5 months old asking questions of a user with 9 posts who hasn't been active since that time.

*lock*