FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

makeing video games

rhocutt
im curently working on a rts the sprites are not the greatest but pretty good for 15 year old makeing his second game. im haveing to do it by my self :/ but the programing and codeing is going pretty well i would also like to make a flash rpg and eventualy a 3d mmorpg.
I still need to work on the game story though il work on that last. i got introduced to game making in june.
kxgrunt
that sounds pretty cool..making video games has to take some skill and patience all the coding Shocked brain wrecker
rhocutt
thx
dawidplet
Yeah, I tried to make a game once but I don't have the patience to code it, I only like to write configs for game servers Razz
rhocutt
my favorite part is testing the game lol. Codeing can be anoying sometimes but i do like logic so its not that bad.
bonestorm74
Hey good luck with it. Too bad you weren't a child of the 80s. Back then one person could make a game that competed in terms of size and quality with commercial releases. In fact a lot of the little guys actually got picked up and became successful game makers.

These days they have whole teams working on visuals, audio, stories, programming, animation etc. Still, you've gotta start somewhere. Good luck with it and hope you have some fun with it.
rhocutt
i think im gona make like java browser game when i get out of college with my buds. (like runescape) and also have a minigame site where we just post minigames that we make in a week.
silentdae
bonestorm74 wrote:
Hey good luck with it. Too bad you weren't a child of the 80s. Back then one person could make a game that competed in terms of size and quality with commercial releases. In fact a lot of the little guys actually got picked up and became successful game makers.

These days they have whole teams working on visuals, audio, stories, programming, animation etc. Still, you've gotta start somewhere. Good luck with it and hope you have some fun with it.

Yes, it's a bit sad it has come to this.
I'm not a child of the 80s, for the record.
But I've seen so many indie game makers struggling.
The big games nowadays have massive teams of programmers, artists, QA, etc.
And it still takes them years.

But hey, you can still get a little 2D game out there.
Nowadays 3D games are expected to yield huge amounts of unique gameplay.
But you can get by with just having your 2D game be replayable and flashy.
HamsterMan
bonestorm74 wrote:

Could't agree more. Nowadays it seems like everyone and their mother knows how to make games.

You spend months creating a flash game or something, and then upload it on for example newgrounds just to have it overshadowed by 50 other games within a few hours.
Liques
I did my first game when I had 15 years old too. =)

My second game is hosped here. Very Happy I did it to learn PHP and today is working well yet. ^^

For who like to make games, it is very joyfull.

Today I learning how to make games using XNA Framework. It's easier than to make using Flash (my first was using it) and Flash doesn't support to make games using 3D.
HamsterMan
Liques wrote:
Today I learning how to make games using XNA Framework. It's easier than to make using Flash (my first was using it) and Flash doesn't support to make games using 3D.

Officially no, but there are mods out there that let's you create games in 3d for flash, like for example papervision.

My last flash game was in semi-3d, but it looked pretty fake.
rhocutt
miniclip has gotten prety popular they have made dozzens of 2d games.
RubySlasher
Dang, well good luck.
The most I've done and probably ever will do is work on some stuff with RPG Maker.
Well at least it's fun and accomplishing enough, anyways.
Libby
I used to make text adventures. XD (Inform, mostly.) That's a really fun way to make a game, if you like writing.

Then I made a platformer with one of those free game maker programs. I love making sprites so that was really cool. And I've done a couple simple games in Flash...

And I've made loads of games with Basic. Very Happy

Making games is about 500x more fun than playing them, IMHO, as long as you're just doing it for fun. As soon as I even think about publicly releasing a game I'm working on, it goes from fun to nerve-wracking in a heartbeat. But that's just my neurotic self. Smile
rhocutt
you might find it better to have a team working on it thats what i did at wake tech it made it pretty fun and less stressfull
urdumaila
can anyone tell me how can i make flash game?
PennyLane
I'd love to seee more games especially for women... Don't know what to expect though, but I don't really like all those war and fight games... I'm a Sims person Smile
Libby
PennyLane wrote:
I'd love to seee more games especially for women... Don't know what to expect though, but I don't really like all those war and fight games... I'm a Sims person Smile

I made really girly games... My favorite, even though I'm not working on it anymore, was a diplomacy game where you were trying to become homecoming queen and had to make everyone in school like you. It also had a dating element of course. Smile That one was good fun, but really hard to code... When I lost it a year or so in a laptop ago I didn't have the will to start over. :/ Lesson: back up your games!!!
jenss
There are now some really great college programs that deal with games. The Art Institute has a really great one that focuses on all aspects of the development process of writing games. And this is not meant as an insult but be sure you work on your writing skills. Punctuation and misspellings make your posts a little hard to read and any company appreciates good communication skills. I test software for a living and it's important to be able to relay all of the details of any bug you might find.

You are doing a great thing for yourself by writing games now. Your skills will continue to develop and when it comes time you will have a great portfolio to present to prospective employers. Keep it up!!

Jen
Underprotest
Try making homebrew games for handheld consoles. There's a lot of documentation on the web on how to program for the Gameboy Advance (Harbour and Tonc, especially), and there's an open source handheld coming out that, while probably not going to exactly dominate the market share, does look like a homebrew game coder's dream. Arstechnica did a review for it a while back - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080826-open-source-gaming-goes-commercial-with-wiz-handheld.html