FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox add ons

SamiTheBerber
I didn't find any post about most used Firefox add ons. I want to know, which add ons do you use, which of them are most useful ones in web developing, etc.

Personally I use Vimperator, for my look and feel, mostly feel. NoScript to disable all JavaScript by default. Adblock plus to remove, surprise surprise, ads. Foxmarks to synchronize my bookmarks on different computers.

For web developing, I use two add ons, firebug and Web Developer toolbar. Use most firebug, because it is familiar to me, but I saw few interesting matter.

Which ones do you use?
snowboardalliance
Adblock Plus and Filterset.G Updater
BB Code
Bug Me Not
Colorzilla (good for web development)
CuteMenus Crystal SVG
Download Statusbar
Download Helper (flash videos)
Duplicate Tab
Firebug
Foxmarks bookmark syncronizer
Gmail Notifier
IE view lite (because not all sites work in firefox)
McAfee SiteAdvisor (marks spammy/bad sites)
Measure it (for web design)
Password Bank for my fingerprint reader
PDF Download (so I can bypass the default options)
Update Notifier
Web Developer

The ones I think everyone should have are in bold.
ocalhoun
I use 47 of them myself, so I'm not taking the considerable time to post them all...

Some I find very useful though;
Aging tabs, text area resize, link alert, all-in-one sidebar, forecast fox, linkification, fasterfox, foxmarks, downthemall, bbcode...
zellfaze
I like Adblock instead of Adblock+. So I use that. I also use web developer, and Imagezoom. Ubuntufox is installed, (although I dont know what it does, it was a suggested install).

So:
Adblock
Image Zoom
Foxgame
UbuFox
Web Developer
Download Helper
FireFTP
Google Send to Phone
Grease Monkey
Link Alert
No-Referrer
Show-IP
Stylish
Tamper Data
Tor Button
Unhide Fields
URL Fixer
Video Download
Zotero
SamiTheBerber
zellfaze wrote:
Ubuntufox is installed, (although I dont know what it does, it was a suggested install).

I also have that. It might customize the feeling so that is will be more integrated to Ubuntu GNU/Linux. It also might send information for apt, so it will show the correct information about Firefox add-ons.
hunnyhiteshseth
snowboardalliance wrote:

I thought we cannot use any Adblock software or Add-on if we have our site hosted on frihost. Has the rule changed or I misinterpreted the language? Shocked

Personally, I use mainly:

GoogleToolbar
Stumple Toolbar
WebMynd
PDF Downloader
Download-statusbar

I also use several others, but others are used less frequently.
filesharing
Just NoScript + Foxy Proxy + Show IP - so I always can change to "anonymous" mode Very Happy
lastelement0
i use those mentioned already as well as FastDial. its a nice little interface to provide me with easy 1-Click access to the pages that i visit most frequently without having to always type in the address. even though the "awesome bar" handles this quite well itself
myleshi
I personally use just two -

Dr. Web anti-virus link checker (not compatible with FF 3.0, but I much prefer older versions of FF such as 1.5).

Unhide passwords to see what’s behind all those asterisks.

If you have a ton of add-ons installed, why bother with FF in the first place? I prefer sleek and fast to bloated and slow but “to each his own”.
hunnyhiteshseth
myleshi wrote:

If you have a ton of add-ons installed, why bother with FF in the first place? I prefer sleek and fast to bloated and slow but “to each his own”.

Because a slow firefox which wastes 10 seconds to save 1 minute is better than a fast firefox which opens quickly but require 1 minute for you to do everything you normally do. Laughing
myleshi
Quote:
Because a slow firefox which wastes 10 seconds to save 1 minute is better than a fast firefox which opens quickly but require 1 minute for you to do everything you normally do.

Wow, I had to read that a few time for it to sink in, good point! Laughing
snowboardalliance
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

I thought we cannot use any Adblock software or Add-on if we have our site hosted on frihost. Has the rule changed or I misinterpreted the language? Shocked

That would be dumb, all you have to do is disable it for frihost.
ocalhoun
snowboardalliance wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

And we don't have any ads for logged in members anymore anyway, so what's the point of enforcing that rule? In fact, if that rule is still 'in the books', perhaps it should be removed?
Phil
Firebug and Web developer, to me, are by far the most usefull for web developers. Colorzillia and Measure are pretty usefull too.
I'm not on my computer at home, so I can't recall the names of some others I use from time to time, but there's a a link checker that's handy. Google adsense notifier is cool. There's also a ton of SEO ones.... I wish I could remember the names!

Oh while we're on the topic, does anyone use Grease Monkey? I hear people raving about it, but in all actuality, after reading the description, I can't think of a reason that I would use it.
SamiTheBerber
Phil wrote:
Oh while we're on the topic, does anyone use Grease Monkey? I hear people raving about it, but in all actuality, after reading the description, I can't think of a reason that I would use it.

I haven't use it by myself, but I'm going to give a try considering what I have read about it.
biljap
I use a lot of add-ons and that is the reason I simply adore Firefox! The only add-on that I tried and gave up (for now) is FastDial. I wanted to have it because I found it to be very useful while I was using Opera.

Some of the add-ons I use are: Firebug, Fission, Forecastfox, PDF Download, Tab Scope, ColorfulTabs, Duplicate Tab, Extended Statusbar, and Fierr. And of course, there are some themes that make Firefox looks just the way I like it! Very Happy

Sometimes I have problems with memory because of Firefox but still… It is the best!
dude_xyx
I try not to use too many addons to stop firefox getting slow. Addons I use are,

SEO Quake
RemiderFox
Stumbleupon
Download express
Download Helper for youtube videos
prramesh
Adblock
downthemall
foxmarks
download statusbar
FireFTP
Grease Monkey
Stylish
Zotero
taboo
welshsteve
These are my favourite addons.

Web Developer Toolbar - allows you to do so much, including making "on-the-fly" changes to a page to see if changes will do what you want.

Firebug - superb for troubleshooting scripting issues

CSS Viewer - with this "on" you moove your mouse over any element on the page (divs, paragraphs, images etc) and it gives you the CSS associated with it. Great for finding out box sizes and colours.

IE Tab - view a site as if it was in IE, saves you opening more than one browser

Speed Dial - have your favourite websites as thumbnails to choose from when opening a new tab

AdBlock Plus - great at blocking popups

McAfee Site Advisor - gives you a "traffic light" style rating system for websites you visit in the bottom right of your screen. Also rates search engine results.

Dummy Lipsum - generates dummy latin text which is handy when needing large amounts of text to test website layouts.

DownThemAll - the best download manager available for Firefox in my opinion

NoScript - stops videos and other scripts automatically starting when a page loads. Replaces them with a placeholder you can click to temporarily allow the content, or gives you the option via a status bar to permanently allow scripts from a site.
hunnyhiteshseth
snowboardalliance wrote:
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
snowboardalliance wrote:

Hmm, yes that was my dumb moment. Frankly speaking, I dont use Ad-blocking addons nor i have seen much people around me actually using it. So i didnt knew that whether it can be disabled for a site or not. But yes, I admit I should have applied common sense and guessed it.

By the way, ocalhun also made quite a valid and logical point. Does any moderator want to comment on that?
xtranophilist
Yeah, mine one at present, no developer helping addons though-
1. AdBlock Plus - https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/1865
2. Compact Menu - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4550
3. File Title - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/834
4. FlashBlock - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433
5. Greasemonkey - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
6. IE Tab - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
7. ImgLike Opera - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1672
8. SaveWithURL - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2369 (??)

AdBlockPlus blocks almost all ads.
Compact menu condensed menu into a single menu and creates more space for browsing, kind of addictive.
FileTitle makes firefox save webpages as FileTitle rather than original filename from the server.
FlashBlock blocks flash files from the pages and replaces it with a play button. Great context menu options available, like copy flash location, etc.
Greasemonkey - the greatest addon available, modify any page with userscripts.
IETab - Allows usage of IE engine within Firefox, great tab support, context menus, status bar icon. filters, adds mht support in firefox, etc.
ImgLike Opera - Options for loading no images, all images or cached images, great for users with slow internet connection.
SaveWithURl - Inserts original webpage location in metatag or at thr top of the save webpage, configurable.

Many other used occasionally.
guissmo
Better Gmail
It can make the unread number go first so that you see it in the title bar, shows the filetypes of attachments and such.

Better Youtube
It adds a "dowload video" link.

GDocsBar
Easy upload, easy opening of Gdocs files.

Google Gears
I forgot what this does. But I think it's cool.

Google Notebook
Puts a notebook link on the status bar. You can clip stuff you find in the net via right click menu.

Greasemonkey
Powerful scripting add-on thingamajig. You put scripts and they function for you.

Multiply Toolbar
Well, it's a toolbar. For Multiply.

PicLens
Provides a stylish way to vie pictures in Facebook, Youtube, etc.

(Sidebar on Right)
Moves sidebar to the right. Not yet compatible with FF3. Sigh.

Split Panel
Right-click menu a page and it will be opened in a split panel to the right. So you can browse different sites but still maintain the chosen site in view.

StumbleUpon
You get to go to random sites with your iinterests.

Web Developer
Handy stuff for web developers. Wink
viraj
Hi friends,

Any one here knows how can I have a HTML (Designed) Signature for my Gmail.

I use firefox. Do anybody here have a ADD On for this which can help me do a automatic HTML signature to all the outgoing mails from my Gmail.

Please this is urgent, request your replies...
sulavaryal
i use adblock thing noscript and that flashblock thing that is all
GavinJaynes
The better gmail2 addon lets you do all sorts of things with gmail.

Other really useful addons that I use are:

Answers
Better Gmail2
Clear Cache Button
Coolris Previews
Customize Google (good for removing adds)
Download ThemAll!
Fast Dial
Fast Video Download (you can download from you tube)
FireBug ( web developers best friend)
Forecast
Foxy Tunes
Pic Lens
StumbleUpon

surdy
    Greasy Monkey
    Duplicate Tab ( This was one of the IE functionalities which I used to miss the most untillI found this addon)
    Foxmarks (Bookmarks available everywhere was a boon for someone who has whole lot of links bookmarked and rely on them heavily)
    Colourful Tab (Just another fun addon to color my tabs, easier to differntiate and looks good)
    PDF Downloader ( I come across a lot of pdfs ,which I end up downloading)
    Better Youtube (Download youtube windows)
    Clear Cache Button (name says it all)

i'm too lazy to write anymore ...i use a lot of them ...and the list keeps on increasing

This is what i love about firefox the most , unlimited cool features through addons.
    justtj
    I use
    -> Interclue
    -> NoScript
    -> Save Session
    -> Sage
    -> Taboo {one of best ever plugin}
    -> Update Scanner
    -> Pic Lens
    -> Flashgot
    -> Robo Form
    Cwspartacus
    I only use two
    You player and Foxytunes.
    r4inm4ker
    FireFTP : great FTP tools inside firefox.
    DownloadHelper : great tool for downloading flash files.
    Session Manager : manage session easily.
    Arty
    ColorfulTabs (Doesn't lag Very Happy)
    Delicious bookmarks
    Google Toolbar Very Happy!
    Meebo ^^
    Orbit downloader
    Undo closed tabs button ^^
    Veoh.
    harismushtaq
    Apart from using firefox addons, a more interesting topic is writing one. I wrote a addon recently that can run windows applications within the browser. On some of the VISTA systems, it gives an error and does not work where as it works with several other systems. Any idea ?
    moorthyrweb
    Fasterfox, downthemall are very useful.
    ducmanh86
    I use:
    Adblock
    Firebug
    Webdeveloper
    sothink catcher
    FireFTP
    FireUploader
    DownThemAll
    and Flashgot
    Peterssidan
    These are the add-ons I currently use:

Download Statusbar: Instead of showing the downloads in an annoying window they are shown in a statusbar at the bottom.

Find in Frame Hack: Click the right mouse button and you will start search from there. It does not work perfect but it's useful when searching the Java api.

NoScript: blocking scripts, easy to set permission for sites. Makes me feel calm when entering suspicious sites.

oldbar: The new location bar in firefox 3 was not very good in my opinion. Oldbar makes the location bar to look like in Firefox 2. Unfortunately the new search behaviour is not changed.

Ubuntu Firefox Modifications: Something that comes from the start. I don't know what it does exactly.
    ericf
    SamiTheBerber wrote:
    Phil wrote:

I haven't use it by myself, but I'm going to give a try considering what I have read about it.

I love greasemonkey. If you're feeling doubtful... head over to userscripts.org and search for almost any website you frequent and there's sure to be some tweak that makes that site easier/better. Personally, I think greasemonkey and stylish (userstyles.org) are two of my favorite ff addons.

My others include:
    foxmarks, foxytunes, gmail manager, adblock plus, downthemall, IE Tab, text linkification, piclens, and remember the milk for gmail
    tsuvik
    I use CustomizeGoogle for customizing google websites
    Twitterfox for tweeting
    Fireshot for screenshots of webpages
    Datafox for Bandwidth checking
    DownloadHelper and Flashgot for downloading videos
    Foxmarks for saving bookmarks
    Quicknote as a scribble pad
    and Firebug for development purposes
    bachma102
    Display WML (wireless Markup Language) on firefox 1-3. I usually use Wmlbrowser addons view wap page.
    SamiTheBerber
    ericf wrote:
    I love greasemonkey. If you're feeling doubtful... head over to userscripts.org and search for almost any website you frequent and there's sure to be some tweak that makes that site easier/better. Personally, I think greasemonkey and stylish (userstyles.org) are two of my favorite ff addons.

I have visited there after I got Better Gmail, which had that url on about tab.

I have now new add-ons. Better Gmail2, Better Youtube, Google PageRank, NumExt (for better tab-switching in vimperator) and Adblock plus element hiding helper. Also few firebug plugins.
    jsfdan
    - Web Developer toolbar
    - ColorZilla

They are awesome.
    welshsteve
    Don't use that many.

Firebug
    Web Developer Toolbar
    IE Tab
    CSSViewer
    McAfee Site Advisor
    NoScript
    DownThemAll
    Speed Dial
    Dummy Lipsum
    hypnotize191
    I use:

Coluful Tabs- Makes my firefox look really nice, like a rainbow =D

Adblock Plus- I have no idea what i would do without this addon. Its sped up my firefox soooo much!

And i use NoScript- It blocks script from websites unless i trust them. Just one of the precations i take so i dont get a virus/worm/trojan etc... Had that happen too much and its a real pain when u have to reinstall the entire operation system just because some stupid website gave you a virus. Waste of time too.
    HamsterMan
    I use

Foxyproxy: A easy to use proxy addon that can use specific proxies depending on the address mask.

TryAgain: An addon that tries to reload a webpage that failed to load a preset number of times.

AdBlock: Well, you all know what AdBlock is.
    David_Pardy
    I don't use too many.

GreaseMonkey (I got it to make Title tags work as they do in IE, since everyone uses them instead of the correct tags)

Adblock Plus

Smart Bookmarks Bar (Fit LOTS of little icons on the bookmarks toolbar! It's great!)

English (Australian) Dictionary - Because "colour" is not the wrong spelling!

Rikaichan (with Jap/English dictionary). I forget what this does, but it's something to do with when there's Japanese text on screen.
    kacsababa
    It's a little bit hard to read, but it's too mutch to list it per line. Smile
    Adblock Plus 1.0.1 __ Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper 1.0.5 __ Adblock Filterset.G Updater 0.3.1.3 __ Add to Search Bar 1.7 __ Better GReader 0.5.2 __ Calculator 1.1.12 __ ColorZilla 2.0.2 __ CustomizeGoogle 0.76 __ DOM Inspector 2.0.3 __ Download Statusbar 0.9.6.4 __ DownloadHelper 4.1 __ FaviconizeTab 0.9.8.2 __ Fire.fm 1.2.1 __ Firebug 1.3.2 __ Firecookie 0.7 __ FirePHP 0.2.4 __ FlashGot 1.1.7.8 __ FoxyMeter 0.5.0 __ FoxyTunes 3.0.4 __ FoxyTunes Skin - Whiteheart 1.3 __ Gmail Manager 0.5.7.1 __ GooglePreview 3.17 __ Greasemonkey 0.8.20080609.0 __ Hide Unvisited 3 __ IE NetRenderer 0.9 __ IE Tab 1.5.20090207 __ IE View 1.4 __ Inline Code Finder for Firebug 0.93 __ Java Quick Starter 1.0 __ Mouse Gestures Redox 2.0.3 __ NoScript 1.9.0.5 __ Organize Search Engines 1.4 __ Pixel Perfect 0.6.1 __ Restore Scroll Position 0.5.9.11 __ Searchbar Autosizer 1.4.1 __ Session Manager 0.6.3.5 __ Tab Mix Plus 0.3.7.3 __ Taboo 0.6.0 __ toolbarmode 0.7.5 __ translator 1.0.4.4 __ userChrome.js 0.8 __ Web Developer 1.1.6 __ YSlow 0.9.5b2

And the theme: Whiteheart 3.4

It's 43+theme if I'm correct. Smile