FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chinese Diet Tea

MGC77
I've seen ads and claims about this amazing diet tea called Wu Long that is supposed to promote dramatic weight loss and other health benefits simply by drinking it. It does have caffeine, but I'm not sure what else is in this tea that makes it work.

Has anyone tried Wu Long tea? If so, what were your results? Did you have any side effects?
deanhills
If you do not know the source, possibly better not to use it. I have seen many Chinese teas offered for weight loss, and since it is herbal, one probably should know what the ingredients are before you take it. Best to consult with an authentic Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor if you are interested in Chinese teas for weight loss.
takashiro
As I know, Wulong Tea does have such a function that help lose weight. The best way is to exercise! In any other ways is unhealthy. Very Happy
issunday
want lose weight? Smile
drink tea is not the best choice, although tea sometimes can help you. But I think you should do some sports instead.
TBSC
Not sure about the tea. Rachel Ray said something about it. But that is probably just for advertising purposes. I don't see how a tea could work, it may speed up metabolism and may be just diuretic.

If it has caffeine then it may not be a good idea, it might cause side effects if it has caffeine.
TBSC
Well I've been curious about this now so maybe I will try it and get back to you if it works. I don't have that much weight to lose but I could deal with about 10 pounds of weight off. So I will let you know how it works and post the results if it does. Then you will have an honest testimonial.
Liques
Some teas make miracles. Very Happy

But tea to lose weight I don't believe Confused
xaogo
Well, I've admittedly been very weary of anything that promises weight loss quickly. My GF came home with one of those 'diet' teas one day and i looked up all the ingredients on wikipedia/google. Turns out all the ingredients are natural herbs/fungi that the chinese have been using for thousands of years. So i try it (been wanting to lose 4-5 pounds so my 6 pack would show better) and I have loss some weight.

Whenever i drink the tea, I get a rush and feel really 'on drugs' for a bit, like i drank a whole cup of starbucks really really quickly. Then i do notice that i don't get tired very easily (higher metabolism maybe?) and there's something in the tea that makes you not hungry. You don't have food cravings. That is the primary reason why it's so effective.

HOWEVER, there are side effects! it makes you go like a mother!!! That was only the first couple days, i haven't had to go any more after about 4 days.

Also, i really like to drink tea, jasmine, green tea, black tea, etc. The tea we have is really tasty. =))
TBSC
Yes I tried it I have been drinking it for just a couple days. It looks like I already lost weight, a couple of pounds. I am very pleased with it so far.

You are right, it does take away appetite I was so surprised. The first day I could barely take in enough calories. Also it makes it so junk food cravings are not there at all! So it is easier to eat very healthy.

I did not find that I was jittery. It was not like coffee with me. It did make me more focused, gave me endurance and energy.

I will caution though that a couple of pounds in 2 days is probably water weight or something. And experts say that is not healthy to lose more than 2 pounds per week. But I will keep you posted on how much further I do. I could stand to lose up to 10.
thejam
I live in China, and i can tell Wulong cha is consumed by everyone, and never heard of this diet function. Tea is generally healthy, unless you don't use too much sugar, or drink extremely much.

Tea is a warm liquid what gives your stomache a full feeling. So if your eat/drink patterns are bad and you switch to Wulong tea, you might loose weight. But warm earl grey tea would have exactly the same effect..

But hey it never hurts to drink tea (if you don''t drink too much), and most green tea are actually proven healthy.

Just keep an eye on your normal consumption patterns, and have enough exercise..
driftingfe3s
Drinking tea will prob help in loosing weight, but don't rely only on the tea. You have to still eat properly and exercise to get good results.
MGC77
Hey thanks a lot for your input, people. I got a diet tea from my local health food store, that curbs cravings. It is pretty good.
ssthanapati
TBSC wrote:
Yes I tried it I have been drinking it for just a couple days. It looks like I already lost weight, a couple of pounds. I am very pleased with it so far.

You are right, it does take away appetite I was so surprised. The first day I could barely take in enough calories. Also it makes it so junk food cravings are not there at all! So it is easier to eat very healthy.

I did not find that I was jittery. It was not like coffee with me. It did make me more focused, gave me endurance and energy.

I will caution though that a couple of pounds in 2 days is probably water weight or something. And experts say that is not healthy to lose more than 2 pounds per week. But I will keep you posted on how much further I do. I could stand to lose up to 10.

Diet tea that actually works... great... i need to find out if i get it somewhere
Ghost Rider103
Comon guys, do you really think that just by drinking some tea you are going to loose weight?

Be logical here, this is nowhere near possible.

Do you have any proof that you lost two pounds already (have you been weighing yourself, before and after pictures, etc)? The only reason why you would loose any weight at all, is because the tea gives you a full feeling inside, so you will not be eating as much as you usually would to make yourself full.

If you have a problem craving junk food like most overweight people in America, then tea would only help you to get that full feeling so you do not feel like you will have to keep eating, which will lower your calorie intake.

The only way to loose weight is to DIET and exercise. Dieting is 80% of the work to loose weight, and the other 20% is training and working out.

It will vary on what you are trying to do (ie gain muscle, loose weight, etc.) but you have to have a consistent diet and workout routine.

Don't expect to loose weight while sitting on your butt and drinking tea. This is just a miracle advertisement to get people to buy their product. Which sadly, works in some cases.

Hope this helps some of you in believing tea will make you loose weight.
jericho21corellion
Hi Guys,

I would like to share something about Chinese Slimming tea... Find Out The Truth About Chinese Weight Loss Tea in this honest Chinese Slimming Tea Review. Do Chinese Slimming Teas like Oolong Tea really work? Find out Now! just try to visit the link.

Thanks..
nigam
takashiro wrote:
As I know, Wulong Tea does have such a function that help lose weight. The best way is to exercise! In any other ways is unhealthy. Very Happy

so true....exercise is the best solution...you should be involve in sports that will keep you loose weight and healthy! i used to drink green tea before but i don't know if its good or bad since i have been reading some posts here..some say good while some say bad...so i better stop drinking green tea...now, i jog every morning going into the mountain Smile
agbor
I have come to realise that the chines tea is really making waves

I will like to have the tea if only they can be found in all the market.

I will advice everyone who cares to hear that the chines tea is very powerfull to keep the body goinbg strong.
syj824
not very useful,in our country wulong tea is good for health but not for lose weight
gphoenix
Wu Long Tea and Green Tea Scam Warning!
By Tom Venuto
www.BurnTheFat.com

You’ve probably seen the advertisements:

“Drink wu long tea and lose a jeans size every 7 days!”…

“Burn 20 lbs of fat in 30 days with wu long tea!” …

Maybe you even watched Oprah a few years ago when Dr. Perricone said that switching your coffee for green tea would help you take off the pounds.

You may have also read or watched countless news stories which say how healthy it is to drink green tea.

The odds are good that if you’re interested in improving your health and losing fat, you probably either drink tea, take a green tea supplement or you’ve at least thought about it.

But what if I told you that most of the fat reducing claims for green tea were absolute, total BS, based on misinterpretation or deliberate misreporting of the research?

Unfortunately, it’s true. If you’ve bought green tea based on the claim that it causes large reductions in body fat, then you have been scammed.

Here are the facts:

Green tea DOES stimulate your metabolism.

However, the research is very unclear about what kind of impact this small, short term increase in metabolism will have on your bodyweight in the long term

In the most often quoted study (Dulloo, 1999), A swiss research team found that 270 mg of green tea extract 3X a day increased metabolic rate by the equivalent of about 79 calories on average and increased the oxidation of fat as the fuel source.

If you do the math, it appears that 79 kcal a day would add up to an extra pound of fat lost every 44 days. Not much, but you’ll take it, right? Hypothetically, that would add up to an extra 8 pounds lost per year.

What advertisements quoting this study don’t tell you is that this and other similar studies did not even measure long term change in body fat percentage or bodyweight. They only measured a 24- hour increase in energy expenditure.

One study which is used as marketing ammunition to claim that wu-long tea burns 2.5 times more fat than green tea was based only on a 120-minute increase in energy expenditure! (reminds me of that Mark Twain quote: “There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics”)

Numerous follow up studies have confirmed the short term increase in metabolism, but the studies are mixed on whether green tea improves weight reduction or maintenance in the long term.

The research IS compelling, but not conclusive.

As for ad claims that say you’ll lose a lot of weight just from drinking green tea… absolute BS! Hopefully the Federal Trade Commission will catch up with these scammers sooner rather than later, as the marketing messages on the Internet are getting louder and bolder every day.

As for health benefits - green tea is certainly a champ. It’s high in antioxidants and there are more than 2,000 research citations about potential health benefits of green tea (not to mention a 5,000 year history of use in China and the far east).

Even if you’re a skeptic, green tea is hard not to like and it’s hard to dispute that it’s a good idea to add green tea to your nutrition program as one part of a well-balanced fitness lifestyle.

But when it comes to claims for large and rapid losses in bodyweight and bodyfat, (especially the wu-long tea ads that are currently all over the internet), buyer beware.

The science we do have says that the thermogenic effect of green tea - while very real - is also very small.

Train hard and expect success always

References:

(1) Dulloo A. et al, Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 70: 1040-1050. 1999
lrj945
oh ,that's bullshit. The best way to lose weight and keep fit is to have daily exercise and a balance diet. What's more, the most important thing is that you should be happy always.
navya
Nice to see all of your discussion and found it very useful for me..
Wlll Diet tea is really healthful for our help..
Iceaxe0410
Many teas have beneficial effects. I drink black tea (orange pekote) since it noticeably helps me get over illnesses faster. It supposedly opens up the airways and helps reduce heart disease. I've noticed it cuts down my recovery time usually by more than half.

I'm highly skeptical that any one tea can have dramatic effects as instant weight loss. Most teas I think are mostly long term effects; meaning you'd have to drink it consistently for long periods of time to really see any positive results.

I think a primary component of the tea that you mentioned for instant weight loss, would be the placebo effect. If people tell you it does something, you start to believe it even when there is no evidence it does to the contrary. The mind is a powerful healer, but it can only take a person so far.

If the tea is not a well known plant or herb, I'd err on the side of caution. When one thinks about what herbs and plants used in tea are, they basically are naturally occurring drugs. It would be foolish to assume that because it's made in nature, it will have a positive effect. Just as there are many beneficial plants, there are ones that act as poisons or toxins that can have the opposite effect.

Its the same principal for drugs, it may have an overall positive short term effect, but in the long term it may cause permanent harm. That's why it's better to rely on time tested teas and avoid newly found ones. There are much better approaches to losing weight. Drinking tea may help, but overall I'd say looking towards other places would be the way to go.

Almost any "quick" instant weight loss gimmicks are scams.