FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

my computer, suggest good OS

frih
my computer is too slow.....

please suggest me a good operating system for my computer.....

i want to make my computer fast.....

i owned this computer on 2001. Built by Compaq.

my computer configuration is----

a) 128mb Ram
b) intel pentium 3 processor
c) 996Mhz processor speed
d) 20Gb hard disk....
e) window Xp professional 2002
ezekiel_rage
frih wrote:

a) 128mb Ram
d) 20Gb hard disk....

With that configuration I highly suggest a lightweight Linux distro like VectorLinux or any other Linux distro targeted to old/legacy hardware.

You could check this list from DistroWatch http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old+computers&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

Or if you like to use windows with that, I'd suggest Windows 2000 SP4

Hope this help
Studio Madcrow
The CPU on that isn't too bad, but the low amount of RAM could be a problem. I'd say that if you could get the RAM up to 512 MB or so, then an mid-weight Linux distro like Xubuntu (Ubuntu using the XFCE environment as default) would serve you quite well.

If you can't upgrade your RAM, then your best bet probably would be either Windows 98SE or some legacy-oriented Linux system.
frih
thanks guys for your replies.....i am fed up with my pc....
ForceRun
Dude, time to upgrade.
end of line
thadnation
virtually any linux distro should work. a good one for you would probably be "Damn Small linux"
dmystic
you can also use a unix version like opensolaris wich is stable. u can also just use DOS on it, or Windows 98 if u like microsoft... but it also depends on what you want to do with it.
LostOverThere
If you're interested in Linux, you might consider giving TinyMe a go. It's based off PCLinuxOS and only needs 64mb of RAM to run!

It also uses LXDE as the desktop environment, which is both lightweight and beautiful. Give it a go, its a really great little distro.
mehulved
Try Arch linux. Though it has a bit higher learning curve than your ubuntu's and mandriva's.
Flarkis
thadnation wrote:
virtually any linux distro should work. a good one for you would probably be "Damn Small linux"

What are you talking about. Most modern distro's have requirements that are around 800 MHz processor and 512mb of RAM.
csoftdev
go for you linux, it doesn't require huge resources to run and it is stable
Diablosblizz
Or, if you don't want to deal with Linux, I apologize but I got completely lost, then you could downgrade to Windows 98 or 95. Could also go to 2000 if you really want to, but that would only be if you had the CD's because I don't think any retail store stocks these anymore.

If you're willing to buy a new OS, why not just buy a whole new computer. You can pick up a cheap one for maybe $300?

Quote:
go for you linux, it doesn't require huge resources to run and it is stable

Windows is stable as well. Only time I've had Windows crash on me was when I was installing faulty drivers from a stupid graphics card.
MeddlingMonk
If you wanted to use Windows on it without upgrading, I'd suggest Windows 98 (I find that 98 is more stable than 95). Otherwise, I agree with the suggestions for the smaller Linux distributions listed above. If you want to run XP on it without it being too slow, you'll need to upgrade the RAM.
teko
frih wrote:

a) 128mb Ram
d) 20Gb hard disk....

Ive a dell laptop with kind of similar specs to you, only Ive 398MB of RAM. Im able to run XUbuntu quite well and it does fine for surfing, skype and light processing tasks. You will probably face difficulties if you want to run graphical installers thats all, but Xubuntu gives you the option of running it using text-based installed.

Opensolaris I reckon will be too heavy for your machine, at least it was for my laptop when I tried it a while back.

Xubuntu , Damn Small linux or some of the other small linux distors will probably be your best choice. Of course it depends what you want to use it as, if you want a desktop then X Windows will still use up quite a bit of memory.
Studio Madcrow
I still think that your best action would be to add more RAM. That's the only thing that's really holding back your rig there.
shkhanal
I have used windows only and don't know about other operating systems much. But it looks that its time to change your computer.
J-Evil
I'd suggest upgrading your RAM. a 1GB stick doesn't cost too much now days and there will be a noticeable difference with how fast your system/programs load up Very Happy
Diablosblizz
J-Evil wrote:
I'd suggest upgrading your RAM. a 1GB stick doesn't cost too much now days and there will be a noticeable difference with how fast your system/programs load up Very Happy

By the look of his computer, I doubt it could even handle a GIG of memory. In addition, RAM sticks (let's just say his is ram type is SDRAM) of that type are very hard to find today. I recently bought a 2 GB stick and it cost me $80, although that is DDR. DDR2 would have cost me $30, but my motherboard cannot handle that, just yet. Wink

Best bet would be 98, 95 or a new computer in general, like I said they can be picked up cheap.
LostOverThere
Just because he's got an old computer doesn't mean he has to use a 13 year old operating system. As I said, give a lightweight Linux distribution a go. TinyMe, and Damn Small Linux are both good (Though I'd give "TinyMe" a go first).
ForceRun
I guess it matter what he plans to use it for. I'm guessing anything for then word processing he needs to get a totally new system.
thetinyclam
HOLY SHIT lol! I don't know if your wallet is really burnt out, but you can buy a faster computer for a 100 or 200 bucks like an EEE PC desktop. With 128 mb of Ram, I can't believe you've been running XP Pro for all these years. It's time to get a new one buddy.
cvkien
get a new computer. it cheap nowadays. otherwise, use windows 98 or me. it will be fast.
kansloos
Win98SE is probably the fastest choice, still if you want linux, Pick a really well known distro, the smaller ones are generally much harder to use.
ThePolemistis
frih wrote:

a) 128mb Ram
d) 20Gb hard disk....

You can use xp on that specificaion and it will run fast.... not the normal xp, the tinyXP (which takes only 400mb of space) Smile

btw: since u odn't use