FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Tankless hot water heater

standready
It is time to replace my old very 40 gallon hot water heater. The unit uses natural gas and has a continous pilot. I have decided that given the amount of hot water that I use, the replacement should be a tankless unit. I figure why heat water 24 hours a day when I am not using it. Yes, the tankless unit cost more but I figure I should recoup over time.
I am on a well so pressure varies. Anyone here already using a tankless hot water heater? Comments!
Bluedoll
Yeah, not an expert on this but it makes sense to buy and use a product fitted to your needs. Never had a tankless heater but had actually a very old water wood water heater that cost nothing to keep hot water hot.

Since the cook stove was used as the principal heat for the house the hot water was a bonus. The cook stove was not used in the summer though. In late spring, fall and winter two iron pipes fed the smallest electric water header made 5gallons i think it was, of course a large kettle was on top of the stove as well.

To heat water specially in large tanks requires a lot of energy and as you use it sometimes extreme cold water is replaced so maybe someone could invent a pre heater coming from the room heat or solar??? I think the ratio of energy which equals $ is small for the amount it takes to maintain a temp in tank once heated in comparison to heating replaced water. I am sure maintaining temperature is less demanding than actually using hot water.

I've found that bathing in a sauna requires no hot water at all, you can actually use cool water in pail for rinsing after using soap. There are cold water laundries soaps for laundry but i think warm cycles wash better.

Your question was is it worth the cost? I would think that would depends mostly on your hot water useage, less being better. For me I would go with normal hot water useage with $ spent on more insulation around the tank for the time you are not using the water and drop the hot water temperature.
ocalhoun
Bluedoll wrote:
so maybe someone could invent a pre heater coming from the room heat or solar???

They already exist; in fact, if you build one large enough (about the size of a car, though bigger in a cold environment), you can use only solar water heating. Just get a large, very shallow metal water tank, paint it black, angle it towards the equator at an angle commensurate with your latitude (0 deg straight up for at the Equator, nearly 180 deg straight sideways for near the North Pole), put water input from your regular water supply at the bottom and hot water output at the top, going into the house and into a regular hot water heater (or for hot climates, straight into the pipes). To increase the effectiveness, you can put a few reflectors to angle more light onto it, insulate the sides that don't face the sun, or put glass over it to make use of the greenhouse effect. (But if the weather gets very much below freezing for long periods of time, you may have problems...)

Very economical, very environment friendly, and any good manufacturing or welding shop could make you one for a couple hundred dollars, which would be quickly made back by the electric bill savings. Just make a way to bypass it if you live in a place that could freeze it (or insulate it at night so that its own heat keeps it from freezing, in fact). The only real downside is that it would be a big, ugly contraption in your yard, but in these days of 'going green', you could be proud of it, rather than ashamed. If you wanted to, you might also be able to mount it on your roof, depending on which way your house faces.
tony
Wow; I am new to this idea. It sounds really cool though. THanks for enlightening me Smile
aswapathy
And they make a lot more sense than heating up 50 to 80 gallons of water, then trying to keep it hot all day and all night for hours and hours during which it isn't needed just so you can have it there almost instantly when you want it. With my unit there was just a section of tubing that went through a burner. When you turned on the hot water the (gas) burner came on and heated the water as it went thru the pipe. And it didn't seem to take any longer than what we have now. There must have been some heavy lobbying in Washington for all the home builders to have been putting in those 80 gallon hot water heaters all these years.
DenkiWeb
Tankless water heaters are amazing. It is pretty much just a heater coil around a copper pipe with insullation around it as to not catch the house on fire. It saves tons of energy in your electric/gas bill depending on what your current water heater uses. It does however waste a little bit of water while the unit heats the water. Mine takes about 15-45 seconds to fully heat water depending on the season. I have noticed a huge difference in my electricity bill.
neji
I know we had such in our old house.

It was some sort of High Efficiency heater working on the public Gas network.
If you turned it on, the wather passed the heather heating it up to have heat water after 5 seconds of waiting. Really missing that...
standready
I have installed the tankless hot water heater. I chose a Bosh 1600H. I have seen a drop in my natural gas consumption over my old tank unit. Hard to say exactly how much due to varying stove and dryer usage but it has dropped.
This has taken a bit of adjustment on my part even after getting the settings on the tankless unit set to my confort within the pressure drops of being on a well (would be easier on city water's more even pressure). Unit heats up water quickly however it is strange to have brief period of cold water when hot water is turned. That is because the unit senses the flow of water to turn on burners. Just something to get use too - no biggie.
Going back to the settings - my washer has smaller water connections (reduced flow) so in order to get hot water I have to walk over to the tankless unit and change the flow setting in order to get the burner to kick in and remember to put setting back afterwards (had a scalding HOT shower when I forgot). So far, I am happy.
hummer010
I'm in the middle of building a new house. We looked at the tankless water heater, but in the end our plumber recommended we go with the standard water heater.

Your water quality can be an issue with the tankless heater. We're building on an acreage, and will be using well water. Water in our area isn't great quality with lots of mineral content, which is hard on the tankless hot water heaters. Our plumber built a house five miles from where we are building six years ago. He went with a tankless water heater just to try it out. It lasted three years. The second one he put in lasted two years. He now has a standard tank heater.

In town, with treated water, he hasn't seen the same problem.
standready
hummer010 wrote:
I'm in the middle of building a new house. We looked at the tankless water heater, but in the end our plumber recommended we go with the standard water heater.

Your water quality can be an issue with the tankless heater. We're building on an acreage, and will be using well water. Water in our area isn't great quality with lots of mineral content, which is hard on the tankless hot water heaters. Our plumber built a house five miles from where we are building six years ago. He went with a tankless water heater just to try it out. It lasted three years. The second one he put in lasted two years. He now has a standard tank heater.

In town, with treated water, he hasn't seen the same problem.

I am on well water also. It is recommended (by most plumbing manufacturers) that a whole house filter be installed before any equipment. That mineral content will eat the inside of your standard tank heater causing sediment to build up in the tank and reduce the capability to heat the water and wear the unit out. I suggest you flush the tank at least once a year just like I will do (by recomendation of manufacter) with my tankless unit.