FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google's new privacy link

SonLight
Google has been criticized for some time because they did not have a link to their privacy policy on the front page. They seemed to feel that "we're not evil, so we don't need that", and besides they want a very sparse home page.

In the last few days, they have added a privacy policy link. They managed to do it without adding a word to the page, by removing the word "google" in the copyright line and adding the word "privacy", which is a link. The new page reads "(C) 2008 privacy". Most people will probably guess the copyright belongs to Google, not to privacy, but it does look sort of strange.

When I use Firefox, I see the new version, but if I use my regular bookmark in Opera, I still see "(C) 2008 Google". I am curious why that is. Some of their code may be browser dependent, or I may have some Google cookies with options that bypass the change somehow. I imagine most of us now see only the new page, unless we've chosen igoogle or some other special feature. I would be interested to hear if any others still see the old version.

By the way, the privacy policy area of their site is very extensive, and includes videos hosted on youtube. To get to the privacy policy with the old page, you can choose "more" and "even more". That page has an "about Google" link at the bottom, and leads to a page with the privacy policy and terms of service at the bottom.
hunnyhiteshseth
SonLight wrote:

When I use Firefox, I see the new version, but if I use my regular bookmark in Opera, I still see "(C) 2008 Google". I am curious why that is. Some of their code may be browser dependent, or I may have some Google cookies with options that bypass the change somehow. I imagine most of us now see only the new page, unless we've chosen igoogle or some other special feature. I would be interested to hear if any others still see the old version.

By the way, the privacy policy area of their site is very extensive, and includes videos hosted on youtube. To get to the privacy policy with the old page, you can choose "more" and "even more". That page has an "about Google" link at the bottom, and leads to a page with the privacy policy and terms of service at the bottom.

It may be because opera is displaying you a local cached copy of page. Just hit refresh in opera and you should see the new page.
SonLight
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

It may be because opera is displaying you a local cached copy of page. Just hit refresh in opera and you should see the new page.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't think it was likely, since I had reloaded and noticed it several times, but I checked it anyway. I also went to the "even more" page and clicked on the "web" link at the top, which took me to:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=iw&q=

and I still see (C) 2008 Google.
brokenadvice
But does it really matter in the long run? Just type in "google privacy policy" and search. First or second hit, and bam, the page you need.