FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

history of advertising

ptolomeo
The advertising of new products has evolved in such a way that what seemed to be modern and nice one year ago (some times one month ago) is now opaque and not willing to buy it. But this is new. Some days ago I saw an old publicity in the station made of colored tiles, the advertising was about fifty years ago and it was made to last, because it was very well mantained. Nowdays one would not make a publicity woth tiles. Only paper and not durable materials. Would that trend last? is it sustainable?
deanhills
Good point. The reverse also sometimes happens. What is not so good a year after may in 20 years become fashionable again. Like at one time people in the eighties were all for sixties fashions, then people in the nineties liked the seventies, and the advertising that went with those eras. Maybe something to do with loving our grandparents perhaps and all their photos and fashion styles. I find some modern advertising great, and others off putting. The cigarette advertisements for some or other reasons always seem to be really classy and good. Like Dunhill Cigarettes for example. Chesterfield. Sports advertisements also seem to be consistently good and cosmetics advertisements are always excellent and of the highest quality.
thejam
I gues advertising is never used so intensly as over the last max. century.
So it needs to evolve. Right now we realy reached a peak of imact. If it increases it want be effective anymore, decrease probably won't happen in the race of competing companies.
So the only way to make advertising more effective is make it more special, so the exposure will be bigger. If that means looking '70 style if everyone is doing 2008 style, you already distinguish yourself. If that a big succes, more companies want the same impact, until everyone is looking '70 ies, and the effect/exposure is gone again.. Its a bit like fashion..
ptfrances
As thejam, I think that advertising has never been so developed that nowadays.