FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to organize your work

ptolomeo
Lately I have discovered a way to better organize my work. At the begining of the day I think for about ten minutes how will I spend the time during the whole day and after that I follow this timetable rigidly. It is working (and I am working). For Example, right now I had ten minutes asigned to participate in frihost. How do you organize your time?
Tphilakone
Im alway make a time table on my mobile or to do note then i follow them but not at all
Melacos
I'm kinda doing the same thing as what the blogger above says. In a more general perspective, I'm actually I'm not that much a fan of being too organized, as I guess it contains the risk of missing out on a lot of more random (in this context, creative ways of going about your professional life) encounters. But I do the planning myself, and I have to admit that it works really well, as it both gives somekind of satisfaction in itself (making a list etc.) and it definitely gives more of a direction and something more concrete to get your selfdiscipline to lean against.
ptpmonitor
I am really very bad about time management. I also made a plan every morning about what i will do in the whole day. but for the maximum time i could not complete all jobs in my scheduled time. Often many extra problem create which make my plan harder for me to fulfill.
bigt
ptolomeo wrote:
Lately I have discovered a way to better organize my work. At the begining of the day I think for about ten minutes how will I spend the time during the whole day and after that I follow this timetable rigidly. It is working (and I am working). For Example, right now I had ten minutes asigned to participate in frihost. How do you organize your time?

I haven't found a a good way to organize my time. I think that this PDA helps sometimes, but there are many times that I might read something and forget about it before I get back to my desk to answer the request, attach a file, etc. I also seem to never finish a ToDo list, so it either gets longer and longer or things just don't get done. I would like to see what IT professionals have found that works.
joostvane
I use my mobile to list the stuff I need to do for that day. All my appointements. It remembers me about everything and gives me a good overview on my planning for that day.
ciureanuc
I am quite... I cannot organize my work properly. This is like a pain in... you choose the part of the body.
I am lucky that at my work there is a lady special hired to "program" the people. And in the morning I get an e-mail with the list of jobs I have to do.
This person is so tight that if I don't get that e-mail mean that I don't have anything to work that day (it happened couple of times).
When I'm at home I just do things - not organize it (for example, a chair just broke, I repair it; I don't have enough T-shirts? Laundry. I don't make a list)
menino
Mobile organizer is good I guess, but usually to organize my work, I use outlook calendar, so that I can see what jobs I have.
On mobile, I use the calendar, and tasks, as well
slashnburn99
I have a loose plan with everything in need to do that day on it.

There are some items which have to be done at a certain time so i make sure i do those

The other ones i move around, depending on time and energy etc
airh3ad
Prepare your things to do and once you may be involved in a job that needs concentration a lot. You tend to be overworked from all the work load your boss has been giving you and you are also bombarded with personal and family problems that seem to be getting your attention.
julianharry
Looking towards the priorities, you can schedule your work timings. It would help to organize things in much better manner
Chinmoy
one thing is for sure. You have got to have an extreme amount of devotion for lists and routines to work. Else, they all keep hanging on our walls, just for the sake of vanity.
scallywag
I'm absolutely awful at making daily timetables - well, to be fair, it's not really making them that's the problem, it's following them Sad

I usually find it easiest if I just make a to do list for the day, then work on it as the fancy strikes me, taking off and adding items as I need to. Obviously not the most productive method. I need to find a way that works better Confused
deanhills
I usually have a "spontaneous" "to do" list. When I wake up, I sort all of it in my mind. At the end of the day I usually write down really important "to dos", and always seem to remember them when I wake up. I then compare what I have already visualized for the day with that list, just to make sure I have covered them all. Sort of motivates me as well in a way.
jinsdhie
for me spend a minutes to organize your time... example plan your time at night for tomorow that all ty
bigt
ptolomeo wrote:

I have been trying to become better organized. I read a good article about it on Makeuseof.com The article mentioned this organizer that can be easily made and customized. There's a website that you browse to, http://www.pocketmod.com/, select the layout of the pocket organizer, print it out (on a regular 8.5x11 piece of paper), and fold it as shown.
gandalfthegrey
a large Organizer
+
Lots of Bulletin Boards with large text
Radar
If it's a day that I've devoted to work, in whatever form, I'll try to be organised and plan it out. If it's work that's part of a routine, I'll keep trying to do better each time, and hopefully get into a good work ethic that way.

If it's a day that I've set as just a day to recharge a bit, but also getting things done, I'll just see whatever I feel like doing from moment to moment, and run with it until the end of the day. That more or less works. It doesn't always get as much done as I'd like, but yeah, it sort of works.
exitmenu
I alway make a time table on my mobile
sketteksalfa
first organized our self!!!
hiwaypilot
Sadly, I'm a Google Geek. I use my Google calendar extensively along with the Task list. Then using the automatic alerts from both email and text I (hopefully) get through all of my daily chores with a reasonable amount of success. It's not a perfect system, I sometimes forget to add tasks and appointments but it's easier to work on developing that habit than trying to remember all of the insane crap I have to accomplish during my day without the aid of a calendar.

I don't mean to say Google is the solution for everyone, there are dozens of good calendar and task apps out there. (Yahoo, Keep and Share, MSN, etc.)
c'tair
I used to be a very disorganized person. That meant a lot of slacking off and procrastinating in general. However I began to despise that kind of lifestyle because it meant I didn't get anything done or I couldn't move even a single step closer to my goals.

I used to do some mental planning but I noticed it was too dependent on my current mood ie. when I was tired, I wouldn't plan the day good enough. Now I've resorted to having sticky notes on my computer's desktop with tasks for the next day as well as some overall tasks that need to be done.

I'm finding out that this works quite nicely but I'm still getting used to it. I still find that I sometimes have to bump something out because something more important has come up. But it's going good. If everything goes according to plan, this year will have me learn a lot and change a lot.