FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I be a successful English guide?

snowynight
I am a local guide in my country and now many foreigners come here to visit. I wonder how I can be a satisfying English guide.
Anyone who has experience would you please give me some advice?
Thanks.
deanhills
You probably need to take a course in English, but hopefully will have a nice accent to establish your authenticity as someone who is from your country and would be more knowledgable about the places you are showing to the tourists. Think people who are English are usually impressed by genuine and sincere information that belongs to the country and is presented with enthusiasm and a sense of fun. If you are happy in your presentations they will usually respond positively. Think they are especially interested in stories about historic people, the ones that you do not always find in history books.
ocalhoun
From what I can tell here, your English is just fine, so its just a matter of attitude. (and having something worth guiding around)

The only tip I could think of is cater to your audience; an example would be that kids would like a few jokes and being melodramatic, but depending on the situation, adults probably wouldn't like that as much. (Unless they have kids with them; then if the kids are happy, their parents are happy.)
snowynight
I agree to what you mentioned that people probably will show interests in the historical events or tales that may involve those places they are visiting in. also i agree that if i want to be successful, I need to know what they and perhaps also their children are interested in. Thank you so much.
QrafTee
If you are guiding Americans, don't enunciate every syllable of the words you say it just sounds... weird. Remember, it's inernet, not inTernet... Wink
snowynight
QrafTee wrote:
If you are guiding Americans, don't enunciate every syllable of the words you say it just sounds... weird. Remember, it's inernet, not inTernet... Wink

Your suggestion is interesting and, say, useful... I talked to Americans and found their pronunciation casual. No 'l' sometimes. Hmm, but most of them are friendly and they and i show mutual respect when work with them.....
They understand I am a foreigner and talk slowly.