FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

worms

aswapathy
I've heard that you can coax worms up out of the ground by placing electrodes from a car battery into moist soil. Dies anybody know how much current (amps or ma) is required to get them come up out of the ground?
ptfrances
It's a funny way Laughing Laughing
coolclay
I've never heard of this technique. Sounds like a lot of work, and I don't think it will work. There are 2 techniques I have heard of for catching worms. Find a nice grassy patch of ground, good soil is the best like with topsoil. Wait until a nice raining night. Go out with a flashlight, you don't want it to be bright or you can put a red filter on the top. I use to use red saran wrap, and a rubber band. Nightcrawlers will be everywhere if you found a good spot.

The other technique is to go out at night, (it doesn't need to be raining) hammer 2 metal posts into the ground as deep as you can. String a wire or string tightly from one to the other. Tap the posts and/or the line gently with another metal post. This is supposed to simulate the sound of raindrops on the surface. I have never tried it, so I don't know if it works.

I definitely have my doubts about a battery.
ninjakannon
If you let a current flow into damp or wet ground I would expect it to become charged, knowing the nature of the relationship between water and electricity. The question is then, would this encourage the worms to leave the ground? The same might occur if a patch of ground was struck by lightning, perhaps? So it could be natural to escape the charged ground.

Perhaps the worm would risk being fried alive if the current was high enough.

coolclay, your second method sounds like a lot of effort; surely you would have to tap the wire / posts for a very long time for any worms to emerge!

Out of interest, can worms actually hear?
ocalhoun
ninjakannon wrote:

Probably not, but surely they can feel vibrations.

As for the car battery scheme, it might possibly work, but you'd have to put the two leads close enough to make a perceptible current, but far enough away to not fry them (and possibly other things...). There would be no ideal distance, because the distance would change with different soil conditions, even for the same spot at different times.
Yantaal
worms come up from the soil when it rains, just tapping the floor with a shovel or something hsould be enough to coax them up after a little while.
Idoru
It is quite funny, like in the movie 'Godzilla', if I don't remember wrong...
But, more funny is the game, 'Worms'. Totally brilliant idea, sorry if a bit ot.
panthro
You don't need electricity to get the worms up. Spray a mixture of bleach and water (1 cup bleach, 1 gal. water) in the area you wish to seek them. Better to do this at night with a dim light so you don't spook them. walk soft as your vibratios could alarm them as well.
then It's HAPPY FISHING Very Happy
ninjakannon
panthro wrote:
You don't need electricity to get the worms up. Spray a mixture of bleach and water (1 cup bleach, 1 gal. water) in the area you wish to seek them. Better to do this at night with a dim light so you don't spook them. walk soft as your vibratios could alarm them as well.
then It's HAPPY FISHING Very Happy

Just a qualm, if the worms take in some bleach, then the fish eat the worms, are not the fish damaged?

And if you ate the fish you caught, wouldn't you also be taking in a little bleach?
pll
Did you know that when you take a worm and you cut it in 2 parts... Those 2 parts are still moving ?!
Cool Laughing
Gonzalo
Did you know if you play Worms Armaggedon on PC you can kill worms without even making them suffer?
KronikSindrome
why go through all that trouble when you could just pour some bleach on the ground...
ninjakannon
KronikSindrome wrote:
why go through all that trouble when you could just pour some bleach on the ground...

Please read my previous post:

ninjakannon wrote:
Just a qualm, if the worms take in some bleach, then the fish eat the worms, are not the fish damaged?

And if you ate the fish you caught, wouldn't you also be taking in a little bleach?

I want an answer! Razz
James_Hicks
I'm pretty sure that this could be dangerous but with the proper gloves & shoes you'll be fine at any amp from a car battery and see them squirm out. If they slime over then turn the amps down. They'll lubricate themselves for protection but even this can fail them and they can die from electrocution and not surface at all.

On a more humble note, don't do it. Just dig them up. Water the grown, go to a bait shop, or just breed them yourself. It's quite easy to do and you can price match or beat the other bastards selling them.

Oh, plus you can sell the used soil from your worm farm for fertilizer. Worm crap makes the best fertilizer.
Josso
That's hilarious haha, I'm not sure why you would want to spend your time doing that but please let me know if it works.
Thumpercats
So write that down...

To find worms, electrcute them! lol..

This is a neat tippic of information that I will gladly share when the time arsises.. .lol.
jsfdan
It's the redneck way. A true warrior sniffs them out!
watersoul
I only go sea fishing so usually just dig worms up from the shore.
I've never tried to coax "land" worms up from the ground, but if this is useful, I often spend time watching sea-gulls tapping the ground with their feet on my grass lawn and being really successful catching our wriggly friends!
It's so funny if I've nothing else to do, some gulls are really good at it, must be their fast and fancy footwork, certain number of beats per minute, I don't know, it's even funnier though when a gull thats useless just waits until his pal has got a few to the surface and just steals them himself!

Of course, I'm not saying tie a random seagull to the ground or use a couple of dead ones feet as instruments, but their tapping thing definitely works for them Smile
tony
ninjakannon wrote:
If you let a current flow into damp or wet ground I would expect it to become charged, knowing the nature of the relationship between water and electricity. The question is then, would this encourage the worms to leave the ground? The same might occur if a patch of ground was struck by lightning, perhaps? So it could be natural to escape the charged ground.

Perhaps the worm would risk being fried alive if the current was high enough.

coolclay, your second method sounds like a lot of effort; surely you would have to tap the wire / posts for a very long time for any worms to emerge!

I do not think they have ears. Do they?

Maybe they do, but just not like ours?