FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do you like the Lion King I?

takashiro
At the beginnning of the film, it appears a wonderful scence filled with love, Simba and his father Mufasa's happy life. Mufasa told Simba(actually the audience, us!) very philosophical words.
But when it comes to the Scar's murder, I don't want to watch it at all. I felt glad to know Simba get over all the difficulty at last, but I doubt if it's necessary to add such a bloody plot(I mean Mufasa's death caused by his brother Scar) in a cartoon film?
PennyLane
All cartoons have some horror... Think about The Litle Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast,... Okay, nobody dies, but when you're little it's all very scary. And in Bambi there are also some animals killed...
deanhills
I loved this movie. Well made, wonderful music, and the story line was very special. Liked all the animal characters in it. I like well made animated movies and this counts as one of them.
crimson_aria
I don't remember liking it that much when I was young. I did like it, just not as much as I how I like it now. when I watched it with my cute little neighbor years after, I realized how very well done it is. dramatic, tragic, inspiring and everything. life viewed in the eyes of creatures other than humans. I love Lion King.
Magicman
I think it is a very good movie as far as Disney movies go. I think Mufasa's death was an important part of the story. It sets up Simba's success to be that much better. I think that there's no real problem with exposing children to a dark story unless it is overly bloody and violent. The world isn't exactly a perfect place and children's movies don't have to pretend that it is. I don't think that they should be exposed to it too much but a little bit can be a good thing.
McDucque
Wasn't it modeled after a specific work of Shakespeare? (then again, what isn't these days)

Otherwise, great movie. Beautifully animated, colorful, fun songs by elton john, good voice cast of the time.
chi0
My favourite Disney movie, and one of my favourite movies of all time!

The theatre production it inspired is even more beautiful too - never before have I cried in the opening scene of a play!! Laughing
guissmo
I like Aladdin better. As a kid, I wasn't fond of talking animals. It just makes me hope animals can't talk and stuff. Smile) But then again, Aladdin has a Genie. Which is fiction too. But I guess there are some people who grant your wishes. Very Happy
Kelcey
Lion King is probably my favorite disney movie ever. I loved the music and the story when I was little. It just has that *thing* about it. It's awesome.
mehola
my favorite disney's movie is anastasia..
but the lion king is also amazing movie
reiika101
This has been my favorite movie since I was about three. Even my friends and classmates love it. Very Happy
Fake
takashiro wrote:
At the beginnning of the film, it appears a wonderful scence filled with love, Simba and his father Mufasa's happy life. Mufasa told Simba(actually the audience, us!) very philosophical words.
But when it comes to the Scar's murder, I don't want to watch it at all. I felt glad to know Simba get over all the difficulty at last, but I doubt if it's necessary to add such a bloody plot(I mean Mufasa's death caused by his brother Scar) in a cartoon film?

life is not easy, u cant just imagine everything to be nice and smooth all along, that is what they showed in it
zanzou
takashiro wrote:

I think that scene added a lot of credibility to the movie-- it isn't a children's movie, after all, but a film for all ages. Not to MENTION that it's based on Hamlet, which is a very murder-stabby-plot play.
Shewolf
McDucque wrote:
Wasn't it modeled after a specific work of Shakespeare? (then again, what isn't these days)

zazou wrote:
Not to MENTION that it's based on Hamlet, which is a very murder-stabby-plot play.

I too thought of "Hamlet" when thinking about it, and Wikipedia agrees:
Quote:
The story, influenced by the Shakespearean plays Hamlet and Richard III and Disney's 1942 classic Bambi, focuses on a young lion in Africa named Simba, who learns of his place in the great "circle of life" and overcomes many obstacles to claim his place as the rightful king.

I've always loved that movie. Even as a four-year-old girl I did so (even though I got rather angry whenever Mufasa died, and he did that EVERY TIME I watched the movie... Crying or Very sad ). I think it' something about the music, and the universal, simple values which the movie tries to teach its audience.
If you ask me it's one of the best "modern" Disney classics.
- but after all that's just my humble opinion Smile
carl_fernandes
I liked it... Was a good watch ...
takashiro
Fake wrote:
life is not easy, u cant just imagine everything to be nice and smooth all along, that is what they showed in it

I know the world has never been what I imagined in my childhood. More pressions, competitions etc. are around us while growing and we have to fight. Tired, sometime I'd just like to seek something or someplace simple and nice in some fields, most probably in cartoon. I just wish all the children would be able to stay in a simple world for a longer time, even though they have to face something dark in the world someday, when they've grown up.
TurtleShell
takashiro wrote:
Fake wrote:

I know the world has never been what I imagined in my childhood. More pressions, competitions etc. are around us while growing and we have to fight. Tired, sometime I'd just like to seek something or someplace simple and nice in some fields, most probably in cartoon. I just wish all the children would be able to stay in a simple world for a longer time, even though they have to face something dark in the world someday, when they've grown up.

Maybe you don't have or know any kids, but their world is complicated too. Everything is a weird new experience for them. Nothing is certain. Things don't make sense (because it's all new). Also, they have their own complex social structures. In fact, I would say that the social expectations children place on themselves are much steeper/hardcore than those in the adult world. It's part of becoming a functioning person: you teach yourself your place in society as you go along.

A typical day in the life of a child is a precarious balancing act: listen to the adults but try to make friends, try to keep friends but try to learn at school, accept what you see before you but use common sense, believe in magic but don't be a fool. Do you see the inherent contradictions? How do you work with that?

Anyone who looks back on their childhood and remembers a "simple world"--or even remembers imagining that the world was simple--either had a unique experience from the rest of us, or they're idealizing the past. Childhood is difficult. Children know perhaps better than adults that the world is complicated and unthinkable.

I believe the Lion King is an excellent movie. It's one of my favorites. The story has depth but it's straightforward. It's not incredibly violent, but it doesn't paint a rosy, unrealistic picture. It tells a fascinating story, so it's enjoyed by kids and adults. They attach to the characters, they see the deeper levels, they learn lessons.

Children's stories are historically violent. This is not a new invention. A classic example would be fairy tales. Like, hello: the wolf eats the grandma, bluebeard killed his wives, Snow White's stepmother tried to poison her with an apple--all this, and most of the fairy tales that we teach our children now are far less violent than when they were first written.

Violence is in our nature. Violence is in the world itself. Watch the Discovery channel. It's a part of everything. We pass it on to our children through fairy tales, Bible stories, television commercials, the news, books, even in the way we talk and in our play. If we neutered the Lion King for the sake of painting a sweet image of the world, what would we be teaching our children then? And who really would enjoy the image of the happy lion running through the fields, and for how long?
takashiro
TurtleShell wrote:
Maybe you don't have or know any kids,

I'm a kid now(high school student???), so of course I have no kids. Very Happy I thought some kids would feel the same with me.
takashiro
I'm just complained about one plot about this movie. After all, it's worth watching. Very Happy I like what Mufasa told Simba, the circle of life.
dbershevits
I haven't seem that movie in years. I can still remember that i used to cry each time simba's father died. But, its an amazing movie. I think i'll go pop it in the vcr now.
Dean_The_Great
I think it's great, and I did when I saw it in theatres, however back then I didn't get most of the allusions that I understand now. And in regards to the first post regarding death, Lion King is based loosely on Shakespeare's Hamlet, and if you know anything about Hamlet (7 or 8 characters die) then the two in Lion King aren't nearly so bad.
dude_xyx
I like the movie Lion King 1.5 Hakuna Matata. Its soo hilarious.
Arseniy
I love that thing =) That's a cartoon of my childhood...
mgeek
I don't usually cry in movies. But I did in this one. The scene responsible was when Mustafa lay trampled on the ground and Simba went over to him and tried to wake up. Realizing that the father was dead, Simba looks around and starts to cry for help. The close up, with those expressive eyes of Simba plus the sound of his voice, that did me in. No one really close to me has died yet, so it was not a question of sympathy. But I did cry although I had to check myself after reminding myself that boys don't cry Cool It was a well made cartoon movie.
spring567
I like the movie. It's cool.
fox2000
The most part that gets me is that it's soundtrack, It rocks! Han Zimmers is a real genius. every single one of them is perfect for the film!

and timone is really funny too.