FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to make an image weight the smallest possible!!!

pollux1er
I am building a web site and the main objective of that website is to show pictures. My problem is is that i want to reduce the capacity of my pictures. Because they weight enough. Tell me tips that can be helpful for me. Thanks in advance.
Donutey
I am assuming you want to make the file size of the images smaller.

This may make good reading: http://donutey.com/imageformat.php

Image compression is a compromise between quality, size on disk, and resolution. Ifranview is a good program that you can use to batch edit images so they are a lower resolution and are therefore smaller on the disk. You can also reduce the images size on the harddisk by reducing the quality of the jpeg compression (see article above). There are also is a program called phpthumb which will generate image thumbnails on the fly for your website, so you don't have to have a thumbnail stored for each image.
pollux1er
Donutey wrote:

Image compression is a compromise between quality, size on disk, and resolution. Ifranview is a good program that you can use to batch edit images so they are a lower resolution and are therefore smaller on the disk. You can also reduce the images size on the harddisk by reducing the quality of the jpeg compression (see article above). There are also is a program called phpthumb which will generate image thumbnails on the fly for your website, so you don't have to have a thumbnail stored for each image.

I don't want to change the size of the picture, but only the weight. I am working on pictures with Adobe photoshop CS but i don't know how to make a picture wight smaller.
Tumbleweed
pollux1er wrote:
Donutey wrote:

I don't want to change the size of the picture, but only the weight. I am working on pictures with Adobe photoshop CS but i don't know how to make a picture wight smaller.

I assume Donutey ment the file size and not the image size, well thats what he said Razz
In CS you can use the "save file for the web" function (alt+shft+ctrl+s) this will leave the image with the same dimensions but a smaller file size....I use the "2 up" view so I can see what I had apposed to what I am going to get , If your pics are say 32x48 inches you may want to reduce the image size (dimensions) before you "save for web" to get even smaller files but you dont have to.
All the best
nTonio
Deferent extinctions uses deferent compression ways, so you should check another file format. 4 example .psd can weight 100 more times then the same file in .gif file.
You have to know that gif file format was created for web browsing and building site. So this format will be just corresponding for you.
furtasacra
If you're using Photoshop, you can preview different file types and compression levels, and choose the best compromise between size and quality.

Another solution is to use thumbnails, and warn people that the actual photos are big. However, you should scale them down to 72 dpi, and reduce the dimensions to less than 800x600px so they'll fit in a browser window without scrolling.

Hope this helps!
keane
Why not make thumbnails so loading time will be faster? Increasing the compression when saving will definitely affect quality.