FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fillers and Spoilers explained

positive_vibes
As I brows most of the popular anime threads I came across the same basic question over and over again. This is for those of you who don't know, but would like to. A filler is an addition to the original manga or OVA storyline for adaptation to an animated series. Any time you see people complaining about fillers, it is because they have read the manga or seen an OVA to a particular anime, and the story has swayed off course. Many do not like this change one bit, as they want to see what is supposed to happen next. I personally don't mind fillers as I do not like to spoil my anime's by reading manga, so it's all the same to me. Another word you may be interested in is spoilers, beware them if you don't want to know what is supposed to happen next in your favorite anime. Spoilers are often posted by people who have read further in to the storyline of an anime and post dramatic details of future events, generally in places they SHOULD NOT BE *sigh* I hate people lol. If you are one of these people who enjoys talking about future events of ongoing anime, please don't do it in the comments section or threads of current or old releases on streaming sites and forums.
blk3
You're right, maybe people who don't like fillers should just watch it. No one is forcing them to anyways. And its good that there were changes between manga and anime otherwise it would all just be the same thing all over just on another format.
QrafTee
positive_vibes wrote:
As I brows most of the popular anime threads I came across the same basic question over and over again. This is for those of you who don't know, but would like to. A filler is an addition to the original manga or OVA storyline for adaptation to an animated series. Any time you see people complaining about fillers, it is because they have read the manga or seen an OVA to a particular anime, and the story has swayed off course. Many do not like this change one bit, as they want to see what is supposed to happen next. I personally don't mind fillers as I do not like to spoil my anime's by reading manga, so it's all the same to me. Another word you may be interested in is spoilers, beware them if you don't want to know what is supposed to happen next in your favorite anime. Spoilers are often posted by people who have read further in to the storyline of an anime and post dramatic details of future events, generally in places they SHOULD NOT BE *sigh* I hate people lol. If you are one of these people who enjoys talking about future events of ongoing anime, please don't do it in the comments section or threads of current or old releases on streaming sites and forums.

Well you need to realize, fillers aren't only "fillers." They're superfluous episodes which are written by other people--as in not the original creator of the manga/anime. For that reason they're also poorer quality in terms of how the story continues along; very rarely, fillers actually ruin an anime because they explain things differently than what is written in the manga later--this is what happened with Rouroni Kenshin. Usually the animators either take a break and let other people work with the anime as you can see the degradation in animation quality as well--take the fillers in Naruto, for example; as a result, animation looks choppy, skippy, and doesn't have the same look as the rest of the main series.

However, not all fillers are particularly bad. Some are actually written by the original creator and thus adds more to the story. For instance, in the Naruto manga, the Temari v. Tenten fight during the Chuunin Exams were omitted, but they were fully animated in the anime.

@blk3:
No one is forcing us to watch fillers, that's right. However, continuing poor quality fillers like what happened at the end of Naruto only degrades the whole series altogether. And there shouldn't be a "change" between anime and manga. Anime serves as a different means of enjoying manga... it fills in the "gap" between the pages, it's SUPPOSED to add more to the story.
votd
Oh yeah, so in short, filler episodes are:

a) episodes 135 - 220 (and some earlier) of Naruto Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy it's the best example
b) Season 3 of Naruto Shippuuden Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
c) some episodes of Bleach (can't say, I didn't watch it yet) Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

There are fillers in One Piece, Dragon Ball... in every shounen you will come across which is long. For example Dragon Ball GT is a series compromised of 64 fillers... only some production arts were done by the original author.

Fillers could be better than original story in some terms, but majority of fillers are pure crap. If someone wiser would get the screenplay right, we'll get something more interesting.

For example - it's hard to say wheter Naruto Season 3 is better than the rest of series, or is it on par, because action develops much quicker than in manga-plot episodes.

Also for the animation - this is not a condition when it's manga-plot episodes or fillers, look at Naruto again....
Pikokola
I agree with qraftee

many filler are suck because it will ruin the main story. I know the manga are slow, I mean 1 chapter of manga can't contains that much stories like 24 minutes (1 episode) of anime eventough they comes at the same time (1 chapter/week and 1 episode/week)

But they just can't ruin the story itself. Filler or even anime that is adaptation from some manga should have no addition that crucial to the story line, like main character addition, things that reveal some "secret" from the current character that possibly have great differences with the "main story" from the manga.

One of (somehow) good anime filler are one piece, they didn't ruin the main story line, some of them are even already told on the manga which is counted as side story (the first cover of each chapter).
blk3
I'll watch fillers too as I don't get to read mangas so it won't matter if they deviate from the main story of the manga they were based on.
ddukki
Also, you forgot to add that fillers are used when the anime starts to catch up with the manga and the writers don't have anything else to do but make stuff up until the mangaka is finished. Hence the hurried, crappy storyline.