FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I have a rant:





Craeft
Ok... this is a rant about something that drives me nuts.

The words are:
you
your
you're
the
why
please
are

etc.


Use them. You have 26 letters on your keyboard. The following are NOT WORDS:

u
ur
ur
teh
y
plz
r


It's an absolutely ignorant way to speak. It started from cell phones where it actually serves a purpose. There is a character limit on text messages and it's a pain in the butt to get to all the letters. Again... you have 26 letters on the keyboard. When you type like that, you look like a 5 year old with a learning disability. Learn to spell simple words, or get away from text-based communication. Thank you.
quilledbroomstick
Actually it started with AOL instant messenger before text messaging on cell phones was even thought of....

But I agree with you that shorthand slang is annoying no matter where you see it!
Craeft
quilledbroomstick wrote:
Actually it started with AOL instant messenger before text messaging on cell phones was even thought of....

But I agree with you that shorthand slang is annoying no matter where you see it!


The LOL, btw, brb, etc. was AOL stuff... but actually abbreviating three letter words I think started on the cell phones.

I don't remember seeing it back in my AOL days. Maybe I was lucky. heh
ocalhoun
Yeah, I hate it when people misuse 'ur'! If it is meaning "u r", then it is a contraction and needs to be spelled "u'r"!

Just helping with the rant there.
Helios
Yeah, I agree that it's quite annoying. I don't understand how people find it easier to write this way.
It's just much more comfortable to write those words properly, at least for me...
linkmenot
Craeft wrote:
Ok... this is a rant about something that drives me nuts.

The words are:
you
your
you're
the
why
please
are

etc.


Use them. You have 26 letters on your keyboard. The following are NOT WORDS:

u
ur
ur
teh
y
plz
r


It's an absolutely ignorant way to speak. It started from cell phones where it actually serves a purpose. There is a character limit on text messages and it's a pain in the butt to get to all the letters. Again... you have 26 letters on the keyboard. When you type like that, you look like a 5 year old with a learning disability. Learn to spell simple words, or get away from text-based communication. Thank you.


i absolutely agree. Makes people look completely retarded. Its ok if ur messaging on mobile cuz sometimes they do involve lesser keystrokes, but using "mah" instead of "me" is totally killing language
deanhills
Agreed. Most irritating. I see it mostly on text messaging. Sometimes I cannot even understand what it means. But quite a number of us are agreed that it is quite annoying. So justifiable ranting Smile
panthro
Abbreviating works for me !
Arty
I hate it D: It's so annoying to read...
rashid
yeh iam also agree with every one

and i dont wana think that it will be so high that no one can pass it

hope i will try to do this one



what r u talking rehana
polly-gone
you know what is even more annoying it is when people dont capitalize at all or use any punctuation or anything so it looks like it is just one big long run on sentence and you dont know when they are pausing or anything it is so obnoxious becuase it usually takes like 15 minutes to read becuase people are not used to reading like this at all are you guys confused yet just so you know i am making a point i usually dont type like this at all i had to hit backspace 15 times becuase i accidentally use the right punctuation and shift and stuff.

And you know it is more annoying? When they leave letter and word out and don't proper grammar.

-Nick Razz Cool Razz
BugBear
When posting I think it's best to write the words full and proper but when chatting, especially with friends, I sometimes abbreviate my words just to save a few button clicks or get a certain informal feel to it I guess.
Craeft
Helios wrote:
Yeah, I agree that it's quite annoying. I don't understand how people find it easier to write this way.
It's just much more comfortable to write those words properly, at least for me...


That's the thing. They say it's easier, but typing is all based on muscle memory. It's only easier if they actually took the time to practice it. That alone says a lot about the type of people who do it. They actually had to PRACTICE being lazy.
Craeft
linkmenot wrote:
Craeft wrote:
Ok... this is a rant about something that drives me nuts.

The words are:
you
your
you're
the
why
please
are

etc.


Use them. You have 26 letters on your keyboard. The following are NOT WORDS:

u
ur
ur
teh
y
plz
r


It's an absolutely ignorant way to speak. It started from cell phones where it actually serves a purpose. There is a character limit on text messages and it's a pain in the butt to get to all the letters. Again... you have 26 letters on the keyboard. When you type like that, you look like a 5 year old with a learning disability. Learn to spell simple words, or get away from text-based communication. Thank you.


i absolutely agree. Makes people look completely retarded. Its ok if ur messaging on mobile cuz sometimes they do involve lesser keystrokes, but using "mah" instead of "me" is totally killing language


Yeah. Your mature sense of humor is enlightening. Thank you for the example, though.
Craeft
polly-gone wrote:
you know what is even more annoying it is when people dont capitalize at all or use any punctuation or anything so it looks like it is just one big long run on sentence and you dont know when they are pausing or anything it is so obnoxious becuase it usually takes like 15 minutes to read becuase people are not used to reading like this at all are you guys confused yet just so you know i am making a point i usually dont type like this at all i had to hit backspace 15 times becuase i accidentally use the right punctuation and shift and stuff.

And you know it is more annoying? When they leave letter and word out and don't proper grammar.

-Nick Razz Cool Razz


I agree with every sentence you wrote up there! Every single one! hehe.


That is equally obnoxious to me as well. This is what our society is becoming; a bunch of lazy-ass slobs who can't bother themselves with a period or to add two more letters to a word to make it 'proper'. Jack-tards like that are the reason words like "d'oh" get in the dictionary. I'll bet you that within a couple years, "u", "r", "y", etc. will all be considered words.

Our language is devolving. It's very pathetic.
Craeft
BugBear wrote:
When posting I think it's best to write the words full and proper but when chatting, especially with friends, I sometimes abbreviate my words just to save a few button clicks or get a certain informal feel to it I guess.


I've blocked and banned friends for doing that with me. Not without warning them first.
Insanity
Well to be fair most of the people who type like that are usually kids and such who don't know better.

At least that's what I tell myself to suppress the urge to slap them silly.
Craeft
Insanity wrote:
Well to be fair most of the people who type like that are usually kids and such who don't know better.

At least that's what I tell myself to suppress the urge to slap them silly.


I tried telling myself that. The unfortunate reality is that most of them are in their 20s and 30s. :-/
MissBosh
Too true, this floods all over the internet, Gaming, Websites, Forums, IM Chats,
whats weird is that most of the time its people who should be old enough to know how to spell.

Start a petition. Razz
gr8inferno
you can't stop this, ppl like me will be using them no matter what, so get used to it. Very Happy jk, I know how you feel.
Craeft
gr8inferno wrote:
you can't stop this, ppl like me will be using them no matter what, so get used to it. Very Happy jk, I know how you feel.


HEHE... correct response would have been...

u cant stop dis ppl like me will b using dem no matter wat so get used 2 it lawlz.

Razz

It's interesting the number of people I see around who HATE that sort of stupidity, yet it is still outweighed by the stupidity itself.
Craeft
MissBosh wrote:
Too true, this floods all over the internet, Gaming, Websites, Forums, IM Chats,
whats weird is that most of the time its people who should be old enough to know how to spell.

Start a petition. Razz


Petition to who? LOL... Trust me, if I thought it would do any good whatsoever, I would. Interestingly, swearing, casual vulgarity, etc. is not offensive to me in the least. However, that netspeak crap is. Go figure.
ocalhoun
I think it is time to just live with it and accept that lazy people who probably can't type anyway (and therefore want to hunt and peck for the fewest letters possible) will do this no matter what.

The best thing we can do is ridicule them when we see them to make them want to change.
Srs2388
If i am in a long text message and close to running out of space I'll say urs instead of yours. Usually I type the words out correctly.
SpellcasterDX
I don't type all chat speak/net speak. I use full words. Everywhere. IMs, Forums, Chats, etc. Even when I'm texting I type out the full word. Unless I need to quickly type my text out or if I'm running out of space or if I'm feeling a bit too lazy. ( Razz )

But it bugs me too. Especially when it's the overly annoying netspeak. Example: tYpInG li3k thizzzz...
That really gets my goat the most.
Magicman
I could never bring myself to be that lazy to type like that. On anything that I post online (forums, comments, Facebook, etc.) I always use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. On texts and IMs I usually spell things out properly (or use standard acronyms like lol or brb) but I don't worry too much about proper capitalization or punctuation because it saves time and is more informal. Texts and IMs are also private compared to online postings in which everyone can see that you are too lazy to type properly.
mattyj
i couldn't agree with U more on that 1...so plz every1 listen to this post Wink

just kidding...and i agree, its VERY annoying
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:
Yeah, I hate it when people misuse 'ur'! If it is meaning "u r", then it is a contraction and needs to be spelled "u'r"!


This ... this kind of logic is going to be completely lost on those would need to use it, and contradicts the entire phrase it's being used *brain crashes* Laughing
PatTheGreat42
I always use the King's English and proper punctuation in text messages, actually.
Craeft
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I always use the King's English and proper punctuation in text messages, actually.


You are my new hero; not sarcasm.
raine dragon
Actually, it is from AOL Instant Messenger, and other older forms of chat communication. It's very common in multilayer games and chatrooms when people are trying to keep up with the flow of a very fast conversation. I've been seeing people write things like "u" and "r" as words in AIM since the 90's when cell phones were these chunky things that business people had in their cars.
Craeft
NOTE TO EVERYONE:

Don't reply to people individually. If you do, you will get a warning from the moderators. Instead, waste your time copying and pasting all of the posts you wish to reply to, one at a time, into your reply. Apparently, this is the way it's "supposed to be done." Go figure. Hitting REPLY isn't an option, apparently. Neat. Who'd've thunk it. So anyway... yeah...

Hey look... a new rant. Just when I thought I was running out of something to complain about.


Quote:
Actually, it is from AOL Instant Messenger, and other older forms of chat communication. It's very common in multilayer games and chatrooms when people are trying to keep up with the flow of a very fast conversation. I've been seeing people write things like "u" and "r" as words in AIM since the 90's when cell phones were these chunky things that business people had in their cars.

Again, I said I don't remember it on AOL is all. It is very possible it was there, and as I said, I just got lucky to not have had to deal with it.
Thumpercats
The shorthand ways of posting words is a great thing to have. It saves people that chat all the time in instant message windows some time. I know some people that use instant messaging all the time, but they cannot type at a decent pace. So taking out 3 letters here and three letters there really makes them reply a whole lot faster. Most of the shorter versions of words are pretty easy to comprehende, so I really see nothing wrong with it. Now when people start using those in emails and in regular day english it is just wrong on so many levels.
Craeft
Thumpercats wrote:
The shorthand ways of posting words is a great thing to have. It saves people that chat all the time in instant message windows some time. I know some people that use instant messaging all the time, but they cannot type at a decent pace. So taking out 3 letters here and three letters there really makes them reply a whole lot faster. Most of the shorter versions of words are pretty easy to comprehende, so I really see nothing wrong with it. Now when people start using those in emails and in regular day english it is just wrong on so many levels.


I have one word for this...

Bull$h!t
saratdear
I can't stand seeing people post in short words.

It may be because that I started posting on these forums, that I started giving emphasis on spelling, grammar, and even capitalization, wherever it is : forums, chat rooms..whatever.
ftv_flung
I never use shorthand in my text messages, no matter who I'm sending it too... it's only when I send longer messages that I have to sacrifice a few of the words "you" for "u"....

I do like and prefer writing in proper English though.
standready
I must agree with you. Proper spelling, abbreviations and punctuation makes post a lot easier to read.
James_Hicks
I can't stand that shorthand typing crap. I guess it's a teenager thing but I have noticed a lot of adults that do it too. I know I'm not the best with typing either but at least it's eligible. It reminds me of the book and movie 1984 with the Ingsoc language. Quite sad.
ninjakannon
On forums and the internet in general I think there's no excuse not to use proper English spelling and grammar. I believe the reasons that people type like this are quite straightforward, mainly, however.

Firstly, laziness. It's so much easier just to write phonetically because you don't have to think about it (I say that, I think it would take a while to accustom to it, then it would be quicker and easier). Once you start writing like this then actual spelling mistakes don't stick out: you can write as you wish.
Another reason is surely because others you know do it, or because you see it and copy. I don't think people make a concious decision to type like this, though; it's far more likely that this just happens. The ones who think are the people who rant against it.

Interestingly, I know some very intelligent people who talk like this on MSN. So it's got nothing to do with how clever or intelligent someone is, just their personal context. I'm one of those few people who puts a full stop at the end of each MSN message, even if it is only "lol".

On the subject of instant messaging, I think it's acceptable to use "lol", "brb" and a few other shortcuts like this that have a meaning in said environment. The difference is that these are not bastardisations of English words but merely acronyms used for similar and overlapping reasons to the use of the shortened words. I don't write these often, but will; although, I'm often pedantic and will use 'bbs', for be back soon, instead of 'brb'.

If you think about it, it is especially important to use correct English on forums. Least of all so that people may understand you (just using these abbreviations is irritating but comprehensible, it is poor syntax that generally undermines reader's comprehension), but more to teach those who are learning English.

With regards to texting, I suppose using word shortcuts to save money or stay inside the limit is acceptable. So long as comprehension is retained, as with any context of this really. Personally, I even use apostrophes and will send another text if I fill up the first!


Adding my own rant. I HATE it when people use ellipsis (...) but don't put a space and a capital letter afterwards; also, when countless full stops are used. Moreover, when commas are used... Commas, why!

This and not using capital letters for Names, although that isn't so irritating as the ellipsis problems people seem to have.


I hope there's no one who wants to rant about long posts... Whoops!
Craeft
ninjakannon wrote:
On forums and the internet in general I think there's no excuse not to use proper English spelling and grammar. I believe the reasons that people type like this are quite straightforward, mainly, however.

Firstly, laziness. It's so much easier just to write phonetically because you don't have to think about it (I say that, I think it would take a while to accustom to it, then it would be quicker and easier). Once you start writing like this then actual spelling mistakes don't stick out: you can write as you wish.
Another reason is surely because others you know do it, or because you see it and copy. I don't think people make a concious decision to type like this, though; it's far more likely that this just happens. The ones who think are the people who rant against it.

The thing is, they DO make a conscious decision to type like that. The whole netspeak/1337speak crap is "cool" according to them. Pretty pathetic though, really.

Quote:

Interestingly, I know some very intelligent people who talk like this on MSN. So it's got nothing to do with how clever or intelligent someone is, just their personal context. I'm one of those few people who puts a full stop at the end of each MSN message, even if it is only "lol".

I disagree. I think it does show their level of intellect, personally. They may be rocket scientists, but if they can't spell a simple three-letter word, I'll pass on flying on their ship.

Quote:

On the subject of instant messaging, I think it's acceptable to use "lol", "brb" and a few other shortcuts like this that have a meaning in said environment. The difference is that these are not bastardisations of English words but merely acronyms used for similar and overlapping reasons to the use of the shortened words. I don't write these often, but will; although, I'm often pedantic and will use 'bbs', for be back soon, instead of 'brb'.

I agree. Abbreviations are different than complete respelling to be "cool".
Quote:

If you think about it, it is especially important to use correct English on forums. Least of all so that people may understand you (just using these abbreviations is irritating but comprehensible, it is poor syntax that generally undermines reader's comprehension), but more to teach those who are learning English.

Thank you! I've been saying that for some time now. It doesn't even need to be "proper" English, but at least "acceptable", i.e. slang, colloquialisms, etc. The whole shortcut crap is a pain to read and as I said previously, I feel as though I'm communicating with a 5-year old with a learning disability.
Quote:

With regards to texting, I suppose using word shortcuts to save money or stay inside the limit is acceptable. So long as comprehension is retained, as with any context of this really. Personally, I even use apostrophes and will send another text if I fill up the first!

I just despise texting. Drives me nuts.
Quote:

Adding my own rant. I HATE it when people use ellipsis (...) but don't put a space and a capital letter afterwards; also, when countless full stops are used. Moreover, when commas are used... Commas, why!

Well, depending on the function of the ellipsis, a capital letter isn't required. But I agree with the overuse of full stops... LOL. Or when people send me IMs

Like
This and they don't seem
to finish a thought
before hitting ENTER.

For the love of God! Type your thought then hit the damned ENTER key! Stop scrolling my friggin IM box!
Quote:

This and not using capital letters for Names, although that isn't so irritating as the ellipsis problems people seem to have.

Or simply not using capital letters after a full stop. That one, I can agree with you on as well as the names issue. Then again, I can at least chalk that up to typo as long as they otherwise use capitals.
Quote:


I hope there's no one who wants to rant about long posts... Whoops!

Not at all. It gave me a lot to reply to. *grin*
Dj15232
The thing I hate most is when someone doesn't understand you and the say "Whatever Trevor" that really gets me sooo angry. I just walk away from them most times but please tell me I'm not the only one.




DJ15232
ninjakannon
I'm not going to bother replying to what you agreed with, just the disagreements. Razz

Craeft wrote:
ninjakannon wrote:
On forums and the internet in general I think there's no excuse not to use proper English spelling and grammar. I believe the reasons that people type like this are quite straightforward, mainly, however.

Firstly, laziness. It's so much easier just to write phonetically because you don't have to think about it (I say that, I think it would take a while to accustom to it, then it would be quicker and easier). Once you start writing like this then actual spelling mistakes don't stick out: you can write as you wish.
Another reason is surely because others you know do it, or because you see it and copy. I don't think people make a concious decision to type like this, though; it's far more likely that this just happens. The ones who think are the people who rant against it.

The thing is, they DO make a conscious decision to type like that. The whole netspeak/1337speak crap is "cool" according to them. Pretty pathetic though, really.

Oh, you've got to make the concious decision to use 1337. I don't think the average person decides consciously to shorten 'you' to 'u' - or am I wrong?

Craeft wrote:
Quote:

Interestingly, I know some very intelligent people who talk like this on MSN. So it's got nothing to do with how clever or intelligent someone is, just their personal context. I'm one of those few people who puts a full stop at the end of each MSN message, even if it is only "lol".

I disagree. I think it does show their level of intellect, personally. They may be rocket scientists, but if they can't spell a simple three-letter word, I'll pass on flying on their ship.

I disagree! I'm sure it is more common for intelligent people to type with 'proper' English, after all they are better equipped to do so. Similarly, I'm sure less intelligent people are more likely, for the aforementioned single same reason, to use shortcuts.

However, I believe that when an intelligent person has less intelligent friends who follow my previous general statement and use shortcuts, consciously or unconsciously (most likely unconsciously?), the intelligent friend would likely and probably consciously use these shortcuts as well - at least when communicating with the less intelligent friends. This may then become habit and, hey presto, we have an intelligent person using shortcuts. I have witnessed this and also have very intelligent friends who use shortcuts yet themselves don't have many 'unintelligent' friends, perhaps to be 'cool'? I'm not sure why, but it proves my main argument.

Craeft wrote:
Quote:

Adding my own rant. I HATE it when people use ellipsis (...) but don't put a space and a capital letter afterwards; also, when countless full stops are used. Moreover, when commas are used... Commas, why!

Well, depending on the function of the ellipsis, a capital letter isn't required. But I agree with the overuse of full stops... LOL.

Yeah, you're right. And to be pedantic we mustn't confuse this with just missing out a word or words for effect. Razz

Craeft wrote:
Or when people send me IMs...

Oh that too. Arrg, that IS so arrrggravating! That could spring from a message / comment style some people use on social networking websites. But that's only me linking the two as they're similar.

Craeft wrote:
Not at all. It gave me a lot to reply to. *grin*

My pleasure!



Dj15232 wrote:
The thing I hate most is when someone doesn't understand you and the say "Whatever Trevor" that really gets me sooo angry. I just walk away from them most times but please tell me I'm not the only one.

Whatever Trevor!


Is your name Trevor, or have I missed out on this phrase? Or is it just that everyone always understand what I'm saying. _
Afaceinthematrix
Why does that bother you? People like to save a little time so they use a shorthand type of thing when they're typing online. I even use them all when I'm talking on AIM or in a chat room. I don't use them on a forum because I try to be a little more professional on forums. But still, it's just a little internet usage to save a little time. When you're talking to a friend it's not an essay or anything. Grammar isn't the most important thing. As long as it's easy to understand what you're saying, then I don't find it to be a big deal. But I guess I can see why it annoys you because I get extremely annoyed by emoticons, ESPECIALLY the stupid ones that move :roll: (I turned those off, so I don't think it will show up on my post)! I've coded forums in the past and I've never, nor will I ever, put those in.
rhocutt
i dont see anything wrong wit ppl talking like this i mean realy. its basicaly new language that some ppl are not used to
heres a defintion of language
A language is a dynamic set of visual, auditory, or tactile symbols of communication and the elements used to manipulate them.

isnt that basicaly what it is. it was typicaly designed for ppl on the computer in chat areas so that they could get alot of sentences typed real fast. cuz when you about it when you talk it doesnt take that long to say what you are going say. but when you typed you have to punch a letter key for each letter to eventualy make a word which can take awile and it realy stinks when you dont no how to spell something with this new language you can basicaly spell it how it sounds and some one could read it.

This new language is used heavily on cellphone texts, pc games,Ims. but realy it is used alot in pc games because you have to typed and play a game at the same time so you could maybe type out a one corectly sentece and take about 10 min by then your dead some noob has just powned you. Plus ppl using this dont have to punch as many letters so you are less likely to get carpal tunnel Razz
JaneLane
I Think,

A) People Are Lazy

B) Some People Are Illiterate When It Comes To Technology. My Father/Mother For Example, When Texting They Do Not Understand The Whole T9 Concept And Are Too Lazy To Type Out The Whole Word When It Take 3 Seconds Per Word.

Other Than That People ArE Just Too Lazy To Actually Type Out The Full Word, And Even More So An Actual Sentence.
Craeft
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Why does that bother you? People like to save a little time so they use a shorthand type of thing when they're typing online. I even use them all when I'm talking on AIM or in a chat room. I don't use them on a forum because I try to be a little more professional on forums. But still, it's just a little internet usage to save a little time. When you're talking to a friend it's not an essay or anything. Grammar isn't the most important thing. As long as it's easy to understand what you're saying, then I don't find it to be a big deal. But I guess I can see why it annoys you because I get extremely annoyed by emoticons, ESPECIALLY the stupid ones that move Rolling Eyes (I turned those off, so I don't think it will show up on my post)! I've coded forums in the past and I've never, nor will I ever, put those in.


Same concept. I won't read some illiterate moron's crap because apparently, I'm not worth the extra picosecond it takes to put the "y" and the "o" in "you". It isn't faster unless it's trained. There is no "saving time" involved unless they've practiced it. Grammar may not be the most important thing, but it is important if you want to be understood.

rhocutt wrote:

i dont see anything wrong wit ppl talking like this i mean realy. its basicaly new language that some ppl are not used to
heres a defintion of language
A language is a dynamic set of visual, auditory, or tactile symbols of communication and the elements used to manipulate them.

You're an idiot. No. Seriously. You are an idiot. My 3 year old nephew spells better than you. The word is "people". See those things in the middle and at the end of the word? Those are called "vowels".
Quote:

isnt that basicaly what it is. it was typicaly designed for ppl on the computer in chat areas so that they could get alot of sentences typed real fast. cuz when you about it when you talk it doesnt take that long to say what you are going say. but when you typed you have to punch a letter key for each letter to eventualy make a word which can take awile and it realy stinks when you dont no how to spell something with this new language you can basicaly spell it how it sounds and some one could read it.

Same with punctuation too, huh?
1) BS
2) Learn what punctuation is
3) Stop being an idiot
4) Punching each letter is called - *gasp* - SPELLING!
Quote:


This new language is used heavily on cellphone texts, pc games,Ims. but realy it is used alot in pc games because you have to typed and play a game at the same time so you could maybe type out a one corectly sentece and take about 10 min by then your dead some noob has just powned you. Plus ppl using this dont have to punch as many letters so you are less likely to get carpal tunnel

What the hell are you saying? If you spoke English at ALL, this would be a lot easier to translate.
1) I play MMORPGs and I play on RP servers.. and I don't have a problem typing out sentences while playing.
2) LOL at the carpal tunnel line. That's cute.
3) If it takes you ten minutes to type out a sentence, then put the damned game down and try studying some spelling and hone your typing skills. You don't need to be playing a game at that point.
4) You can't even MISSPELL correctly. (the 'word' is "pwnd").
5) You're still an idiot.
ninjakannon
JaneLane wrote:
I Think,
A) People Are...

...Actual Sentence.

Another thing that irritates me is the use of a capital letter at the beginning of every word, it actually makes it harder to read!

Would you mind explaining why you do it? I've always wondered.



@ Craeft:
CALM DOWN!

You can spell and you do know your grammar, but now I think it's time for you to work on your argument skills. Calling people idiots doesn't prove your point, it just adds heat and tension to the situation.

I just went and spoke to my brother about how he types on online games. He says he uses a mixture of both 'proper' English and shortcuts but says that it doesn't matter which he uses as he can type both quickly. Obviously, and evidently, shortcuts only help when you're a slow enough typer for it to make a difference.
Vladalf
Yes I'm kind of annoyed of people who talk like that. I'm also annoyed in multiplayer video games of the excess of: 'noob' and swear words.
Also here where I live people use in excess the letters: 'q' and 'k' wich is even more annoying.
-Vladalf
rhocutt
I can type normarly i am not a idiot. For me it is faster to type the way I type, of course if i am going to type for a project i will type correctly. If you dont like the way people type then leave the computer alone. Because trust me its every where.


pwned lol some ppl say powned (player owned)
apparently you are not a gamer if you do play games you are probably a noob lol.
McDucque
There's a lot of great and true things said in this thread.

All I've gotta say is don't use shorthand ever. When I read it I want to die it's so annoying to have to drudge through.

It's awful how its bleeding into the real world through text messages, popular culture, and perhaps worst young people putting it in their school writings.

I want to be an English teacher when I finish school. I would give a kid a bad grade in a heartbeat for using text message lingo in their writing. Or at least seriously talk to them - and even their parents - about fixing it.
catscratches
The good part: You can easily separate the posts you want to read from the ones you don't want to read. Just look at the spelling and amount of abbreviations in it and you automatically know if it's interesting. =P
ninjakannon
catscratches wrote:
The good part: You can easily separate the posts you want to read from the ones you don't want to read. Just look at the spelling and amount of abbreviations in it and you automatically know if it's interesting. =P

Although, that's not always the case. It isn't uncommon for a post written with shortcuts and bad grammar to actually contain a good point!

I don't decide between reading and not reading posts based on this, as generally it's only posts with poor syntax that really are hard to understand.
jeremyp
rhocutt wrote:
For me it is faster to type the way I type, of course if i am going to type for a project i will type correctly.

This tells me you are an inconsiderate selfish person because you don't consider the rest of us worth the effort of getting your spelling and punctuation right. The few milliseconds you save are worth more to you than the extra seconds the rest of us take to read your posts.
rhocutt
I dont see how its so hard to read it. (Just read it how it sounds.) Its as easy as reading ur alphabet. My question is if someone starts speaking spanish or another language are you anoyed by it? If you are then you are ignorant to other people's culture. Culture is how you live. (What you eat,what you watch,HOW YOU TALK SPEAK OR TYPE, what you listen to.Culture is learned.If you grow up in china you are going to have a chinese culture. If you are anoyed get over it.
ninjakannon
rhocutt wrote:
I dont see how its so hard to read it. (Just read it how it sounds.) Its as easy as reading ur alphabet. My question is if someone starts speaking spanish or another language are you anoyed by it? If you are then you are ignorant to other people's culture. Culture is how you live. (What you eat,what you watch,HOW YOU TALK SPEAK OR TYPE, what you listen to.Culture is learned.If you grow up in china you are going to have a chinese culture. If you are anoyed get over it.

I agree with your first statement, and will repeat something I've already said twice in this thread in an endeavour to make someone listen.

It is the syntax that alters the difficulty of comprehension.

If words, clauses, sentences and paragraphs are in the correct order but misspelled then it is not a challenge to read (this is, generally speaking, scientifically proven). If shortcuts, instead of misspellings, are used then it is probably slightly more difficult to interpret if you are not accustomed to the shortcuts. Becoming accustomed is not any challenge or feat.

This thread, in my eyes, is surely not about justifying the use of either 'proper' English or a language of linguistic shortcuts. It is not about culture, as you suggest rhocutt, nor is it about illiteracy or being understood (for, as I said, shortcuts are not the cause of loss in comprehension). Nor, jeremyp, is it about insulting or psychoanalysing other members.

No, this thread is about the feeling of some people towards others who do not 'correctly' write, on electronic devices, the language, which they speak.

The said feeling is one of irritation and/or annoyance caused by the reading of writing using shortcuts; isn't this thread about addressing the reasons behind this feeling? (Such as the thought: 'this user is not putting any effort into their posts, they are lazy'.) The reason almost certainly comes after the feeling, so be careful in putting reason to any such feeling.

I don't think this thread should be about insulting people or other forum members who do not write with 'proper' English. 'They' could open up a similar thread to slag off 'proper' English members. Then where would we end up?

I'm not saying that I believe this thread's contents to be limited to my aforementioned ideas.


One thing that really gets on my nerves is when people don't read previous posts before replying to a topic. I guarantee that people will do so after this post. I further guarantee that some of those posts will contain things that I, according to this post, believe to be off-topic without explaining why they believe it is not so.

Oh, and rhocutt, would you please take care to insert a space after a comma or full stop, that's another thing that irritates me. (I must sound like such an intolerant person!)
rhocutt
O sorry did not notice i did not have a space. I did read your post about syntax and i agree with you.


I found this on one of my games. Smile
Cna yuo raed tihs?


I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
molif
haha... i'm using dictionary or rather, they call it T9 which makes me learn to type correctly instead of using the shortcuts.. which somehow got me rooted till I won't even type shortcuts while typing on this keyboard..
Diablosblizz
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
I always use the King's English and proper punctuation in text messages, actually.


Ditto here. It's a stupid way to talk unless you're in a hurry, and if so why not just phone the person, makes it a lot quicker. Amen to this topic.

Quote:
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!


This is actually quite interesting to read, and it's completely true.
tony
quilledbroomstick wrote:
Actually it started with AOL instant messenger before text messaging on cell phones was even thought of....

But I agree with you that shorthand slang is annoying no matter where you see it!


haha; really? I would have guessed IRC.
ninjakannon
rhocutt wrote:
O sorry did not notice i did not have a space. I did read your post about syntax and i agree with you.


I found this on one of my games. Smile
Cna yuo raed tihs?


I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

That letter jumbling thing crossed my mind when I was writing my previous post, which part of why I said it was, "generally speaking, scientifically proven" that it is not a challenge to read if words were misspelled. Good example!

tony wrote:
I would have guessed IRC.

So would I, and I still expect it did. Razz
friuser
I also really hate Abbreviating things. It's worst on established forums. I really do not think there is a real need to abbreviate on a forum. If there is something to type, than type it out cause it just confuses everyone or just me. Than you have abbreviations that basically mean the same thing but you dunno what it is cause it's a one letter change. I stop going to forums like that cause I couldn't understand a single thing and while someplaces have a newbie section with abbreviations... you would think with the bandwidth someone has... do you really save that much time... maybe a second to type it out?
ninjakannon
friuser wrote:
I also really hate Abbreviating things.

Such as:
friuser wrote:
forums like that cause I couldn't

Either you abbreviated or simply missed out the apostrophe. The word is because or 'cause. Oh, that was niggly.


Also, you are person #1. [sarcasm]Thank you for proving me correct.[/sarcasm] Razz
rhocutt
The miltary Abbreviate a lot of course you know why, unless you know nothing of warfare.(for those who dont know. It takes to long to say "capture the aircraft landing zone imeditately." When you could just say take the lz asap. The miltary uses abbreviations pretty much every where so that they can get used to and understand there orders.Abbreviations do not take long to understand unless your stuborn about learning about them and plus you can always guess. Just read the words around.


sorry for any misstypes i have 30 mins to finish codeing my game im developing.
ninjakannon
rhocutt wrote:
sorry for any misstypes i have 30 mins to finish codeing my game im developing.

Then why are you posting? Confused PROCRASTINATION, there's a thread about that somewhere!

Offtopic: What's the game?
rhocutt
i post atleast 1 post everyday its becomeing a habit. its a shooter still developing the story.
rajupp
Even I try to avoid the "sms lingo" as its popularly known here whenever I post in forums or send text messages to my friends. But frankly, I dont find any problem with the sms lingo as long as the person sending it doesn't lose the hold he/she has over the language and the person reading it has no problems whatsoever in understanding the intent behind the message.
Proper communication is all that matters at the end of the day!
ninjakannon
rhocutt wrote:
i post atleast 1 post everyday its becomeing a habit. its a shooter still developing the story.

Heh heh, I think we've posted too much in this thread, rhocutt! Razz

Oh cool, what platform is it for?


@ rajupp:
Your points are valid, but this thread is really becoming repetitive (surprise, surprise). Also, you're #2!
rhocutt
Agreed let them fight amgonst themselves, its pc. Its a topdown shooter because i dont have enough cash on me for a 3d engine.
daljirman
I really write in that way, but only when chatting on the instant messaging or writing an SMS. I adopted it but its really bad way and it will effect your writing skill. It's laziness by the way.

4 = for
4ever = forever
ilu = I love you
g2g = got to go / going to go
wlc = welcome

And many more stupid ways. But as I know so far, many languages do not fit these abbreviations, its the English...
DenkiWeb
It is terrible to think that people learn to abbreviate instead of learn how to write in propper english. I met a high school kid the other day who didn't know the difference between to, too, and two. He also didn't know the difference between there, their, and they're. When I was younger, we had dedicated computer programs that taught us about grammatical english. Are those programs are gone now?
rhocutt
It is terrible how people dont read before they post. Just because you use abrevitions doesnt mean your are not bright. You are stereotyping that is the most anoying thing to me. Just because one person didnt the diference between to and two etc doesnt mean everyone is like that. Sterotyping is actualy a very stupid thing to do and now it can even get you fired at your workplace.
Horizon
I used to type just like that a few years back.. but after I read a blog based on this topic, I started to use proper grammar, spelling, etc. It also makes you feel smarter than those who use that horrid slang.

Well most people use 'brb', 'gtg', etc. when they're in a hurry, and 'lol' is just fine.. it's healthy text talk ^^. I think people would eventually find it annoying if you used: "HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH" instead of "lol".

So I guess this slang is appropriate, depending on certain variables. But I laugh at those who do such a thing in school on their work. That's when they're taking it too far and become pathetic.
ninjakannon
DenkiWeb wrote:
It is terrible to think that people learn to abbreviate instead of learn how to write in propper english. I met a high school kid the other day who didn't know the difference between to, too, and two. He also didn't know the difference between there, their, and they're. When I was younger, we had dedicated computer programs that taught us about grammatical english. Are those programs are gone now?

Not knowing the difference between homophones is irrelevant to this topic, which is about abbreviating words instead of writing them out in full. What you are talking about here is a lack of knowledge of aspects of the English language. I can see how links between this and abbreviating words could be found, but probably disagree with these links. If you have a poor knowledge of the English language you may spell words, as children learning their language often do, phonetically. This will inevitably lead to spelling mistakes, but these are not the same as the shortcuts discussed here. However, I can see that if you were not hot on spellings or had little knowledge of fundamental rules of your language you may type (and indeed write anywhere) using common shortcuts that you saw others use. If one never came into contact with these shortcuts, they would come up with their own 'bad' habits. Hence, the questionable link between your post and this topic.

Also, DenkiWeb, you have ironically not used "propper english" in here quoted phrase. That should be 'proper English'. Wink




rhocutt wrote:
It is terrible how people dont read before they post. Just because you use abrevitions doesnt mean your are not bright. You are stereotyping that is the most anoying thing to me. Just because one person didnt the diference between to and two etc doesnt mean everyone is like that. Sterotyping is actualy a very stupid thing to do and now it can even get you fired at your workplace.

It is not terrible, it is inevitable. Further, it is irritating only to those who endeavour to sustain an argument throughout a topic only to be interrupted - after a topic gains more than perhaps, let's pick some arbitrary figure, 10 or more replies and certainly after a page of them! - by countless, but I repeat inevitable, members who post after reading only the first post.

In a similar tone, and I know none of this really relates to the topic, stereotyping is more than inevitable, it is human nature. Stereotyping is a method we use to aid our understanding of situations.

A little example for you:
You stand in the opening of a dark alley and see a drunk man further down who looks the worse for wares, you have compartmentalised society, and humanity, into many, many boxes and this man fits into one of them. You decide, therefore, not to walk down this alley for reasons of, let's say, safety. Of course, you have no idea who this man is or how he may react to you but here stereotyping has perhaps saved you from some vile act or 'merely' uncomfortableness. Certainly, stereotyping enabled you to take a rational look at the situation.

I believe stereotyping is in fact an extension of - or one and the same thing as - our ability to differentiate between things. You can tell the difference between an apple and an orange. You can tell the difference between a man and a woman. You therefore apply the same process to discriminate between a man in a business suit, and a man on a skateboard, and a man, like our man in the alley, staggering along with a bottle of drink, and a man with glasses, slightly tousled hair and smart clothes who was, perhaps, always the first to his lessons at school. This 'phenomenon' extends far further and has roots in many topical issues today. We just don't realise it. We don't make connections.

Stereotyping has its downfalls, oh yes, but it is far, far from "stupid".



@ Horizon:
Do you think you could find that blog, if it still exists? I would very much like to read it.
rajupp
ninjakannon wrote:
rhocutt wrote:
i post atleast 1 post everyday its becomeing a habit. its a shooter still developing the story.

Heh heh, I think we've posted too much in this thread, rhocutt! Razz

Oh cool, what platform is it for?


@ rajupp:
Your points are valid, but this thread is really becoming repetitive (surprise, surprise). Also, you're #2!

honestly its tough to go through all the pages to know what everyone feels, first few posts are just fine and last few posts are enough.
But I didnt get in what I am #2??
rhocutt
just skim its what i do just read a little bit of the paragragph and try and figure out whats going on.
Horizon
Well that was about a year ago when I found it. But I'm pretty sure you can Google such a thing and get tons of results.

Edit:

Well here you go:

http://markdykeman.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/brain-broadcast-internet-slang/

I keep interesting links saved in a txt file >.> Don't ask why Evil or Very Mad
Arnie
There can be situations where such abbrevations are inevitable. E.g. in an online game, when you're playing you don't want to type out "nice shot" or "my bad" because it takes too much time. Instead, you type "ns" or "mb". But of course, in any moderately serious conversation this would be inappropriate.

And then there are classical abbrevations that existed way before the Internet, e.g. "e.g.". Or would you prefer to write exempli gratia?

By the way, I have a rant too. It's about people with nonsensical double signatures filled with ~~~ characters, advertising yet another website without stating what it's about. It started with the introduction of message boards on the Internet...

I thought the topic starter was an advocate of clear, proper text-based communication ???

By the way no. 2, since we were talking about homophones (ninjakannon, above) and ~~~ signatures anyway, there's this guy on Frihost who managed to combine the two into a signature with a highly developed and argumented opinion. You really should check that out:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-772887.html#772887

Oh wait, those weren't homophones but homophobes. Mb.
jsarnold
I'm glad to see it isn't just me that's old fashioned here - I am in good company.

As a former English teacher it offends me to even consider the idea of slanging my way through a text message, and many of my texts end up becoming 3 or 4 message strings. I have to use the apostrophe correctly too.

Am I alone, however, in even managing to include a semi-colon in my texts correctly, and deleting half a message when I realise I have split an infinitive?

I jest not...
miacps
Heres the story of "teh".

"teh" was actually started years ago on an online multi-player game called Warcraft 3. It came from a word which was often misspelled when speed typing, "The", and eventually became its own word and spread like the black plague. It hit its peak in vocabulary when it was used by Ignignokt, one of the Mooninites on Aqua Teen Hunger Force, when he said "You are teh suck".

Notice that "teh" and "the" are actually two different words (lets just accept "teh" as a word for the sake of this explanation even if you disagree on its actual standing in English vocabulary). If you said to someone "you are the suck", it wouldn't make sense. However "you are teh suck" works. This is because "teh" has a different meaning than "the". The actual meaning of teh is a semi-fusion between "the" and "a" though the word is its own and not the same as either one. Why do I know this story? Because I am the person most responsible for this bastardization of the English vocabulary. Thats right, I coined this term. You may all take this opportunity to thank me or hate me now.
jsarnold
This document:

http://etd.lsu.edu/docs/available/etd-04072005-145922/unrestricted/LeBlanc_thesis.pdf

Seems to suggest origins of 'teh' from 2001?

Ad with other words, like 'pwn' i think the exact originators are lost in the mists of time. It's never one person who starts to make it popular - it becomes popular when many people are doing it, at which point it becomes known, and used.
ninjakannon
rajupp wrote:
honestly its tough to go through all the pages to know what everyone feels, first few posts are just fine and last few posts are enough.
But I didnt get in what I am #2??

I do understand, but I'm sure you can see how this could be irritating to some. rhocutt has the right idea:

rhocutt wrote:
just skim its what i do just read a little bit of the paragragph and try and figure out whats going on.

Exactly!


And rajupp, by saying you're #2, I meant that you were the second person to reply, after a message I posted previously in this thread, without obvious having read the full thread.


Horizon wrote:

Well here you go:

http://markdykeman.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/brain-broadcast-internet-slang/

I keep interesting links saved in a txt file >.> Don't ask why

I read it and grinned at the suggestion that if you were laughing out loud, you would need medical or psychological attention. Of course, this is exaggerated; however, I find it ironic that the section that induced the most humour seemed to be most against such humour here.


Arnie wrote:
And then there are classical abbrevations that existed way before the Internet, e.g. "e.g.". Or would you prefer to write exempli gratia?

We don't need the Latin, but I do prefer 'for example'. Both, however, have their uses. Which reminds me, I often say etcetera instead of 'etc.'.

Question: See above I wrote "'etc.'."? Well, is the full stop placement correct? I used one to symbolise the shortening of 'etcetera' and one to signify the end of the sentence. But more often than not, especially when 'etc.' is th end of a sentence no extra full stop is used. Is it, in that case, not 'etc..'?


jsarnold wrote:
Am I alone, however, in even managing to include a semi-colon in my texts correctly, and deleting half a message when I realise I have split an infinitive?

Nope! I ensure correct grammar and spelling wherever I can.


miacps wrote:
This is because "teh" has a different meaning than "the".

Since grammar has come up in this thread as well, I find it a good time to ask: shouldn't that be "from"?

Remember, 'different from', 'similar to'.


miacps wrote:
Because I am the person most responsible for this bastardization of the English vocabulary. Thats right, I coined this term. You may all take this opportunity to thank me or hate me now.

I'm sure you did your bit in using this 'word', perhaps even in it's 'infancy', but I hardly think you can claim to coin a term that is possibly the most misspelled English word on the planet (that's a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was). And certainly, due to this single point, it would be impossible, and surely meaningless anyway, to find a person who had the most influence on its being given a use in some contexts.

Origins of 'teh'? Don't even try; yes, there will be uses of it from sources seen by large audiences and early references in 'documents'. Don't you think though, the origin of such a term is going to be more a subject of postulation than hard fact and evidence?
RubySlasher
Whenever I read some shmuck's internet shorthand, I automatically imagine the voice of some random 12-year-old Inuyasha fangirl with a gruff lisp.

And though it makes me chuckle, I also die inside.
jsarnold
Ninjakannon - you sound like my sort of forum poster!
ninjakannon
jsarnold wrote:
Ninjakannon - you sound like my sort of forum poster!

Why, thank you! I'll take that as a compliment.
sondosia
I agree; textspeak is annoying and I would never use it for anything other than text messages, to save time. That being said, whenever I do text or IM, I usually use complete sentences, punctuation, and capitalization anyway. But that's just a habit. I'm a writer, and it's much harder for me to shorten the language instead of just using it the way it's meant to be used.

However, there are people who end up writing "u" and "i' in their papers for school, which I think is really ridiculous. They can't possibly not realize that it's inappropriate for that sort of writing.
aswapathy
... when people create totally meaningless posts just to get points.
Arnie
^ At first I didn't see how that was related to the topic. But then I realised if you abbreviate, you get less points.

...
rockx502
i love how this post has gone so far off from its origional meaning
but ill agree. even though i do use the 'textspeak' or abbvrs (too lazy to figure out how to spell) when im talking to friends. if im emailing a teacher or another adult i go out of my way (just like now) to talk in complete words and sentences. sometimes i mess up but its cus im just going too fast for my own good... haha

but yea that is pretty funny how people are just posting to get their post count up but it counts. haha

and this post basically made my day btw. the first few replies are priceless.
rhocutt
I think you have gone to far when you are going to school and talking to you friends like this. Omg that dude pwned him with that dlong. You are gona sound wierd talking aloud but there is nothing wrong with it being used on the computer.
rshackelford
I agree that people using abbreviations is very annoying, but I have a bigger problem with people who use the abbreviations while speaking. Yes, it saves 2 seconds to say omg or brb but come on that's as bad as people saying 'like' all the time.
rhocutt
truefuly not many people do that when they actauly talk to some one.
Rico
Craeft wrote:
Ok... this is a rant about something that drives me nuts.

The words are:
you
your
you're
the
why
please
are

etc.


Use them. You have 26 letters on your keyboard. The following are NOT WORDS:

u
ur
ur
teh
y
plz
r


It's an absolutely ignorant way to speak. It started from cell phones where it actually serves a purpose. There is a character limit on text messages and it's a pain in the butt to get to all the letters. Again... you have 26 letters on the keyboard. When you type like that, you look like a 5 year old with a learning disability. Learn to spell simple words, or get away from text-based communication. Thank you.


This is called evolution. Nasty hey?
ninjakannon
Rico wrote:
This is called evolution. Nasty hey?

Evolution? How do you make that link?

I could give a more reasonable argument that would explain how this, as with many bastardisations of language, leads to new words or colloquial ways of writing and speaking. [Note that here I am considering the internet as an 'area' in the same way a town or county might be considered an area. Hence my use of colloquial.] This would explain how these 'terms' came into being.

Using the word "evolution" implies a change for the better - even, a change that aids survival. Normally, evolution is a natural process intertwined strongly with natural selection. Is there any form of natural selection with the words we see here? And if we discount natural selection as I'm sure you have, how is this change of language in an area evolution at any stretch?
Arnie
The word evolution can be used in so many contexts and with so many variances in meaning, it's not even funny anymore. Not all are related to natural selection.
karysky
Oh yeah! I agree!

It's particularly painful for non-English people to read such language! My young brother (8 years old, French speaker) had an English research to do on pandas, and at some point, he wrote: I hope ur interested in pandas.

He told me that's the way he saw it written on the net.

This problem is the same in French, and in all languages.

And it's all the fault of text messages that had caracters limit... because I've got to admit, I use plz Razz in my text messages... Rolling Eyes
ninjakannon
Arnie wrote:
The word evolution can be used in so many contexts and with so many variances in meaning, it's not even funny any more. Not all are related to natural selection.

You are right; although, I do realise; notice how I used natural selection as a side point. I was trying to include a topic linked with the concept of evolution as a process for improvement and that's what came out Razz. However, I do recognise that there are other meanings of 'evolution'. My point was that evolution has connotations of adapting for the better - Rico did not say 'development', or 'change', both of which apply here.
furtasacra
My two cents: I find "textspeak" extremely annoying. As far as I'm concerned, it is absolutely unacceptable unless you actually are forced by necessity to condense a message down to 160 characters or less.

I assume anybody who can't or WON'T spell, capitalize and punctuate correctly in a situation where they have room to do so is a moron. If a person has so little respect for their own ideas that they can't be bothered to present them in a reasonably literate manner, I see no reason to read them, much less respond to them.
Battle_Off
I have agree.

Even on phone messages i don't use the slang short-hand words, unless the message is really long cause I am charged an 50cents (AUS) is the message is over 1500 characters.

Most of the people who use these slang terms only have 4 functioning brain cells anyway.
houdney
i agree. There's no reason why people don't just type the words in their entirety. Also, there's no need for that on the mobiles because of predictive text, it's almost as easy as typing on a keyboard.

What I have a problem with, since we're ranting and all, is the pictures I keep seeing of annoying little kittens with the words "I haz cheezeburger". I want to cut their arms.

Also, people who kill, I don't enjoy the killers.
Related topics
Download IPB 2.0.4
Any 1 like green day
Ne one want to have some fun with Jack Thompson?
Want to know if LOVE is real?
Poker Bad Beat Stories- Let it out have a rant
A rant on God, religion and morality
Windows Activation (Story and [i]slight[/i] rant)
Wednesday Rant
Wednesday Rant March 4th 2009
Wednesday Rant Clean Plate Club
The drunken rant.
A place to rant
A rant about Rants
Rant - Why can't we 'Search'?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.