FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Carbon Tax in British Columbia





kody
British Columbia kicked off their carbon taxation plan yesterday. The most noticeable effects being that gas is taxed an extra 2.5 cents per litre, and that everyone got a $100 "carbon tax dividend" that you are encouraged to spend on something "green" or sustainable.

The goal of the tax is to be revenue neutral, so they are decreasing the personal income taxes and commercial income taxes.

I personally think it took a lot of "cohones" to kick off the first North American carbon tax ever. It's only a tiny 2.5c/litre right now, with a schedule to increase over the next 3 years (with more income tax reductions to go along).

However, it's getting quite the backlash from some groups of people who just see it as yet another tax.

What do you think? Shortsightedness by people who just want their 40c/Litre gas back, or is it another tax grab?
LumberJack
I don't mind other people paying my taxes for me. I can drive less, I don't care. LOL

Everyone seems to forget that our income taxes are "suppose" to come down at the same time.

One should not really care about how it affects consumers, one should care about how it affects the people and businesses who make their livelihood driving. ie. Taxi Drivers, Truckers, etc.

How did you spend your 100.00?
kody
I don't buy that argument about caring for people who make their livelihood driving. When it's your business, you simply pass on your costs to the consumer. This is fair and all your competitors will be doing the same thing. However, if one of your competitors starts offering lower fares because they're giving rides in their smart car, well then, we actually have a shift towards a more environmental situation! The market will fix itself over time after these costs are passed on.

As for the people who "need" to drive in from the burbs 1.5hrs each way every day I have no sympathy at all. They are not living a sustainable lifestyle and therefore should have to pay for it.

The true costs are going to become more apparent in the market. Veggies from Columbia and Mexico will cost more, due to increased shipping costs, and will give local farms and greenhouses a more competitive edge.

I'm looking forward to $3/L gas! Smile

Disclaimer: I am working in a green energy sector... increased oil prices really helps our bottom line. Smile
LumberJack
kody wrote:
I don't buy that argument about caring for people who make their livelihood driving. When it's your business, you simply pass on your costs to the consumer. This is fair and all your competitors will be doing the same thing. However, if one of your competitors starts offering lower fares because they're giving rides in their smart car, well then, we actually have a shift towards a more environmental situation! The market will fix itself over time after these costs are passed on.

As for the people who "need" to drive in from the burbs 1.5hrs each way every day I have no sympathy at all. They are not living a sustainable lifestyle and therefore should have to pay for it.

The true costs are going to become more apparent in the market. Veggies from Columbia and Mexico will cost more, due to increased shipping costs, and will give local farms and greenhouses a more competitive edge.

I'm looking forward to $3/L gas! Smile

Disclaimer: I am working in a green energy sector... increased oil prices really helps our bottom line. Smile


Consider how much tax there is on gas in Europe, 10.00 a litre? People still pay it for a variety of reasons.

My concern for the transportation industry stems from the realities of working in such a market, one cannot simply just pass on the cost. People are locked into contracts, etc. Prices go up really quickly. I am sure there are ways they could do things, but I am not sure if they would be widely accepted.
gandalfthegrey
Carbon taxes do not work. They only increase costs for business, rather then encouraging the business to change their practices.

We need strict regulations brought in, with a given time period for industry to change their practices.


The BC Liberal government (a Neo-Conservative party) brought in the carbon tax plan. Ironically it is opposed by the BC New Democratic Party (a Socialist party), with ties to big labour.

It is seriously looking like this tax will help defeat the Liberals in the next provincial election.
kody
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Carbon taxes do not work. They only increase costs for business, rather then encouraging the business to change their practices.

We need strict regulations brought in, with a given time period for industry to change their practices.


The BC Liberal government (a Neo-Conservative party) brought in the carbon tax plan. Ironically it is opposed by the BC New Democratic Party (a Socialist party), with ties to big labour.

It is seriously looking like this tax will help defeat the Liberals in the next provincial election.



I disagree. Yes, it increases costs associated to the use of fossil fuels for a business. What about businesses that don't rely on fossil fuels, or are using alternatives? Lower corporate income tax rates. It's beautiful in its simplicity! Businesses will only be "encouraged" to change their practices when it comes down to a dollar figure. How else do you propose this happen?

Strict regulations can be part of the solution, but people will find loopholes. Also, it would likely cause a bigger political upset. Would you like to be mandated to use your car only on odd or even days, like they're doing in China?
pebbleworm
Carbon taxes on petroleum products has a tendency to increase the cost of everything that is transported but this is not an entirely bad thing. We simply need to slightly modify our lifestyles. Like Cody said, patronize local products and this will lead to an increased activity in the local economy, which, in the end, will benefit all living within that locality. Lobby for the government to create bike lanes and bike for short distances, we'll shed off excess pounds.
Bikerman
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Carbon taxes do not work. They only increase costs for business, rather then encouraging the business to change their practices.
This is surely a non-sequitor. The most important driving force behind any business is profit. If you decrease the profitability of a business based on certain practices then there is a huge imperative on that business to change that practice for a more profitable version. This is pure market economics (which is a little ironic coming from me - a socialist).
kody
Bikerman wrote:
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Carbon taxes do not work. They only increase costs for business, rather then encouraging the business to change their practices.
This is surely a non-sequitor. The most important driving force behind any business is profit. If you decrease the profitability of a business based on certain practices then there is a huge imperative on that business to change that practice for a more profitable version. This is pure market economics (which is a little ironic coming from me - a socialist).


Totally agree.
Related topics
Where do you live?
Google Registers A Few New Domain Names
Can you Guess Quizz!
Turkey Bird flu Spreads
I have back from canada
Nice to meet you guys!
Hello From Canada
Does anyone want to travel? Where?
Paperclip for a house
Expert panel calls for carbon tax to reduce greenhouse gases
Carbon tax could raise billions, lower emissions + cut taxs
British Columbia 2009 General Election
Price for Carbon 1
Soaring costs force Canada to re-assess its health model
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Politics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.