FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frozen Throne 1.22 - a bit of irony

hofodomo01
If you play Warcraft 3, you probably know a new 1.22 patch recently came out. Exicted as the bnet community was, two common problems quickly arose:

problems either occurced concerning the no-CD fix from 1.21, or people had problems downloading the patch from bnet. After looking around to fix this problem, a certain forum-poster had mentioned something to the effect of

Quote:
I noticed that the new patch had corrputed my War3.exe...gee thanks a lot, Blizzard Sad

At that time, I thought to myselt, "wow, the only other instance I had with updates corrupting their own programs was with Microsoft updates (i.e. the Software Distribution Service issue from a year back)".

Then when I was trying to deal with the second issue, fellow interent-users pointed me to the solution: I had to download a Microsoft C++ update. Hey, look, Microsoft came in the picture again! Though while this time, they weren't directly at fault, it did strike me ironic that something like this happened, since Blizzard usually has a reputation of taking great pains to ensure their products are the best they can be...
QrafTee
hofodomo01 wrote:
If you play Warcraft 3, you probably know a new 1.22 patch recently came out. Exicted as the bnet community was, two common problems quickly arose:

problems either occurced concerning the no-CD fix from 1.21, or people had problems downloading the patch from bnet. After looking around to fix this problem, a certain forum-poster had mentioned something to the effect of

Quote:
I noticed that the new patch had corrputed my War3.exe...gee thanks a lot, Blizzard Sad

At that time, I thought to myselt, "wow, the only other instance I had with updates corrupting their own programs was with Microsoft updates (i.e. the Software Distribution Service issue from a year back)".

Then when I was trying to deal with the second issue, fellow interent-users pointed me to the solution: I had to download a Microsoft C++ update. Hey, look, Microsoft came in the picture again! Though while this time, they weren't directly at fault, it did strike me ironic that something like this happened, since Blizzard usually has a reputation of taking great pains to ensure their products are the best they can be...

Yeah, my friends complained to me about the same problem. I'm the "computer guy" so they come to me with this stuff. If you have any fixes, it'd be great because I'm stumped.
David_Pardy
I didn't have a problem with the 1.22 patch.

Besides, if you're using a no-CD crack you should copy the original executable back before you patch it anyway, unless I've misread what you've written.
gh0stface
There are a few "solutions" that can be found on battle.net's technical forums. Some even suggested by Blizzard's own staff.

I myself will probably wait for the official Blizzard patch then use the suggested solutions. I'm afraid if use the suggested solutions, it may break my game for the future patches.
OsLendas
David_Pardy wrote:
I didn't have a problem with the 1.22 patch.

Besides, if you're using a no-CD crack you should copy the original executable back before you patch it anyway, unless I've misread what you've written.

Many lan-houses got this problem, because they use no-cds for a good reason.
David_Pardy
I use no-cd cracks so I don't have to put the CDs/DVDs for my games in all the time.

You still need to copy the original executable back to patch most games anyway.

The latest Diablo patches prevent the need for a No-cd crack anyway since they remove the disk check.