You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Notepad++ is a free (free as in "free speech", but also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement, which supports several programming languages, running under the MS Windows environment.

This project, based on the Scintilla edit component (a very powerful editor component), written in C++ with pure win32 api and STL (that ensures the higher execution speed and smaller size of the program), is under the GPL Licence.

This project is mature. However, as you can see it's a one-man-project, there are still some bugs and missing features. If you have any question or suggestion about this project, please post them on the forums. As well, if you have any feature requests, you can always make the demand, but there's no guarantee that I'll implement it.

You're encouraged to translate Notepad++ (if it is not present in the Download Section) and/or to translate the Notepad++ official site into your native language.

I hope you enjoy Notepad++ as much as I enjoy coding it.

Here are the features of Notepad++ :
Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding

Supported languages :
C C++ Java C# XML HTML
PHP CSS makefile ASCII art (.nfo) doxygen ini file
batch file Javascript ASP VB/VBS SQL Objective-C
RC resource file Pascal Perl Python Lua TeX
TCL Assembler Ruby Lisp Scheme Properties
Diff Smalltalk Postscript VHDL Ada Caml
AutoIt KiXtart Matlab Verilog Haskell InnoSetup

If you have a colour printer, print your source code (or whatever you want) in colour.
User Defined Syntax Highlighting

It allows user to define his own language : not only the syntax highlighting keywords, but also the syntax folding keywords, comment keywords and the operators. ( screenshot1, screenshot2, screenshot3, screenshot4 ).

For most supported languages, user can make his/her own API list (or download the api files from dowload section). Once the api file is ready, type Ctrl+Space to launch this action (see screenshot). For more information about Auto-completion, please see Auto-completion HOWTO.

You can edit several documents at the same time.

You have two views at same time. That means you can visualize (edit) 2 different documents at the same time (screenshot). You can visualize (edit) in the 2 views one document at 2 different positions as well. The modification of document in one view will carry out in another view (i.e. you modify the SAME document when you are in clone mode, see screenshot).
Regular Expression Search/Replace supported

You can search and replace one string in the document by using the regular expression.
Full Drag N' Drop supported

You can open a document by drag & drop. You can also move your document from a position (or even a view) to another by drag & drop.
Dynamic position of Views

The user can set the position of the views dynamically (only in 2 views mode : the splitter can be set in horizontal or in vertical), see screenshot.
File Status Auto-detection

If you modify or delete a file which opened in Notepad++, you will be notified to update your document (reload the file or remove the file).
Zoom in and zoom out

That's another fantastic function of Scintilla component. Just see screenshot.
Multi-Language environment supported

The Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic and Hebrew Windows environments are supported. See Notepad++ under the Chinese Windows , under the Arabic Windows and under the Hebrew Windows in action screenshot.

User can just click on the bookmark margin (located right side of line number margin) or type Ctrl+F2 to toggle a book mark. To reach the bookmark, type just F2 (Next bookmark) or Shift+F2 (Previous bookmark). To clear all bookmarks, click the Menu Search->Clear All bookmarks. See screenshot.
Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting

When the caret stay beside of one of those symbol { } [ ] ( ) , the symbol beside of caret and its symmetric opposite symbol will be highlighted, as well as the indent guideline (if any) in order to locate the block more easily. See screenshot1, screenshot2 .
Macro recording and playback

Please dont copy paste like this. At least add some content of yourself too!!
hahaha.... is it worth it? thanx for the info though
I use Notepad ++ as a hex editor. It's not too advanced, but it does get the job done. Also, it cuts open-times on big files, because it doesn't try to open the whole thing at once like Notepad does. It read different code languages, like guhuai said, so my Professor uses it as a Java / HTML editor.
I am using it. It is great
heh you copy-pasted this text only to get points/frih$ Smile

Ultraedit is even a little bit better than notepad++ but unfortunately it's not for free, unless you download cracked, illegal version.
Agent ME
There's also a portable version of Notepad++, which I keep on my flash drive for when I need to do some text editing off on another computer. Definitely something I would recommend.
I use Notepad++ too, but I don't like beta edition Razz
I'm very excited to here this! This has long been my text editor of choice, as it's easy to use, fast and has tabs. What's there not to love?
Studio Madcrow
Back in my days of still using Windows on my home computer, I used this and was great. After moving to a 100% Linux setup, I haven't needed it, as I now have an OS which comes with a good text editor (or five) rather than making you find and download one. Maybe I'll try it in Wine, though, just for old times sake.
NotePad++ is a great text editor.
I ve replaced the Windows notepad with it and its not opening some files only in my PC.
Doesnt open files in archives from 7-Zip.
HexEditor plugin replaced other Hex-Editors.
Love the tabs.
Creating an empty file doLocalconf.xml in the Notepad++ directory makes it portable or else it created config files in %appdata%/NotePad++ directory.
Yeah. I use Notepad2 though, which is essentially the same.
oo.. is this a new version? O.o

i'm gonna get it Very Happy thanks lol
I'll try it, but at the moment I use NoteTab Light, TextShield Fusion and LaTeX.
Thanks for the post, I'll try to get it.

I may place the link on my website if I like it...
I'm use 3.0.4. 5.0.3 not going to MS Vista Sad
I think it's a great alternative to like windows notepad. The syntax highlighting and tabbed interface is great. And I like the explorer plug-in, making it easy to work on large projects.
Studio Madcrow
Notepad++ and Paint.NET are the two free apps that NO Windows system should lack. They so massively outclass the built-in apps they were written to replace, it's not even funny.
Thanks for bringing this piece of open source software to my notice!

It is really good (I write code mainly in Verilog, and the Verilog mode is really great). My only gripe is that I am so used to the Vi modes that I frequently keep pressing the escape key and performing searches and other types of operations that I am used to in Vi.

I just wish Notepad++ has a Vi compatible mode Smile
Notepad 2 is also a great software. But it cannot win notepad++. Notepad++ is really nice with It's functions and plug ins. It is opensource and it supports a large number of programming language syntax highlighting. But the lexer is not nice in notepad++. For eg, when i type my c++ source in notepad++, in the functions list, there are silly function names like for,if. It consider all the words having bracket after them are functions in c++. Anyway, the editor itself is great