FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPhone GPS

Tony The Tiger
What kind of reviews have there been about the GPS on the new version of the iPhone? I am curious because I think I will eventually get an iPhone when they get big enough to carry most of my music. That may be a while though since I am using a 160 GB iPod and it is over half full. Why isn't the new iPhone bigger than prior versions. Past advancements have usually included a jump in size.
brokenadvice
For some reason, Apple is not letting developers to make any real time GPS mapping programs (ie Tom Tom or similar). It probably has something to do with Patents and such, but someone will probably make one no matter what. As for the quality of the actual pin pointing, it should be on par with most $200 Hand held GPS’s, and I’ve heard the cell tower faux GPS is decent as well.
Tony The Tiger
The previous edition used triangulation, which was not real time. I thought this was an upgrade to a real time GPS. Why are you saying it doesn't really have anything but a faux GPS?
brokenadvice
To clarify: It has the capability to use Real GPS, but as of now there will never be an official program that gives turn by turn directions.
Tony The Tiger
Your clarification did not clarify for me. What is the difference between real GPS, as you call it, and turn-by-turn directions?
brokenadvice
It has the capability to connect to satellites, and determine your location very precisely (unlike the 1st gen). Turn by turn directions refer to setting the iPhone in your car, and running a program that maps your current location as compared to a map, and gives you real time directions such as "Turn right in 30 feet".
psycosquirrel
Tony -

The iPhone's "GPS" operates based on signal triangulation. You will not even be able to acquire a navigational signal if you are outside cell phone range. The iPhone analyzes signal strength from (at least) 3 cellphone towers, and uses that to approximate your position. Because of this, the iPhone is significantly less accurate than true GPS, which operates off of GPS satellites in geosynchronous orbit.

Needless to say, it is good enough to navigate based off of. It will get you within a block of your destination accurately.

Did that clear it up enough? I know way too much about electronics, if you need clarification about anything I said. Very Happy
ForceRun
I got the BlackJack II, its GPS sucks when there is no or little cell connection. But with Google maps and a twick to the basic code it does work a lot better.
Tony The Tiger
brokenadvice wrote:
It has the capability to connect to satellites, and determine your location very precisely (unlike the 1st gen). Turn by turn directions refer to setting the iPhone in your car, and running a program that maps your current location as compared to a map, and gives you real time directions such as "Turn right in 30 feet".

I saw on CNBC that the new iPhone has a blinking dot on a map to show current location. It does not give any directions or have any text updates. My friend told me that this is in order to conserve battery power. Does it make sense that the iPhone has the capability to do turn-by-turn but has not incorporated such technology due to battery power limitations? It sounded reasonable to me, but I was not certain it was correct and have seen no such explanation in the press.
Tony The Tiger
ForceRun wrote:
I got the BlackJack II, its GPS sucks when there is no or little cell connection. But with Google maps and a twick to the basic code it does work a lot better.

What do you mean by twick to the basic code?
psycosquirrel
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I saw on CNBC that the new iPhone has a blinking dot on a map to show current location. It does not give any directions or have any text updates. My friend told me that this is in order to conserve battery power. Does it make sense that the iPhone has the capability to do turn-by-turn but has not incorporated such technology due to battery power limitations? It sounded reasonable to me, but I was not certain it was correct and have seen no such explanation in the press.

Power conservation makes a little bit of sense. They would have to throw in a more powerful processor, which would increase price and slightly decrease battery life if they added directions.

You can get turn by turn directions through google maps though, through the browser.

The reason realtime turn by turn was omitted was to make the iphone more economical, and to save Apple millions on developing a nav system.

Tony The Tiger wrote:

I would assume he is referring to modifying the actual program's coding of the GPS software on the Blackjack. I would guess the software is written in Java, which is usually easy enough to modify.

It is one of those things that if you have to ask, you might want to get someone else to do it.
Tony The Tiger
psycosquirrel wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Does it make sense that the iPhone has the capability to do turn-by-turn but has not incorporated such technology due to battery power limitations?

Power conservation makes a little bit of sense. They would have to throw in a more powerful processor, which would increase price and slightly decrease battery life if they added directions.

You can get turn by turn directions through google maps though, through the browser.

The reason realtime turn by turn was omitted was to make the iphone more economical, and to save Apple millions on developing a nav system.

Yes I know how to get turn-by-turn through the browser. Of course, the thing that makes modern GPS great is real time turn-by-turn though.

psycosquirrel wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

It is one of those things that if you have to ask, you might want to get someone else to do it.

I do not own a Blackjack and will not be making any such tweaks.
Tony The Tiger
I just saw as commercial for a U.S. Cellular cell phone contract with a LG UX 300 that has voice turn-by-turn GPS. Is this full blown GPS?