FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer shuts down, Help

shkhanal
my computer automatically shuts down in the middle of my work. All windows closes and Loging off and Shutting down.

Gave lots of headache!
bloodrider
It may be a virus or a error.
Do you have a decent anti-virus? Try ESET Smart Security and do a scan to your hard drive.
You should also go to control panel ---> administrative tools --> event viewer, see the logs and detect any potential conflict, focus at the time your PC had shutdown Wink
shkhanal
I tried everything for viruses. performed system restore too. It does not appear to be infected. McAfee does not detect anything. I started DOS prompt and till DOS prompt is on computer can't shutdown. Prompt for Terminate command window is displayed and I can choose NO. But I need to open DOS prompt for all the time I work.
bloodrider
Without more information, for the symptoms you relate I would bet in a virus.
Mcafee, hummm ahaa Rolling Eyes, not really the best anti-virus Exclamation Eset detected on my PC virus on files stored for 4/5 years, that had been scanned with Symantec, Mcafee, Zone Alarm, ..., and none detected anything.
Try Eset or Kaspersky and you also should install hitman pro for spyware.
In the meanwhile, when the "terminate" appears do, Start --> Run --> "cmd" --> "shutdown -a", this should avoid the shutdown Wink
shkhanal
Amusing problems. Never thought before.

In fact my power switch of CPU box had problem. I changed the power into reset switch, its working now. I removed the reset wires out from mother board and inserted reset wires into power pins. Now it does not shut down automatically. But I don't have reset switcfh now.
cod3rbro
I suppose you are using Win XP, insert the Win XP CD, and use the menu upgrade, it will replace your broken system files, after that you should scan it with Antivirus
shkhanal
Sorry, my problem is solved now

It was a hardware problem infact. The Power switch in CPU Casing box was found giving problem. I made reset switch as my power switch and its OK now.