FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP with Visual Studio .NET 2005?

RustyM
Is it possible to write/host PHP locally with VS '05? Because i want to learn PHP, and need a good off line source for developmen, that I don't have to pay for(I did pay for VS '05 tho. Wink ) I need to learn it because I'm gunna help with friends site, and it requires PHP.
sonam
You don't need to pay for PHP, MySql and Apahe server nothing and you can learn PHP localy on your computer without spent any cent. You don't need VS '05 for PHP. You can dowload different packages with all in like XAMP, WAMP, etc.

Sonam
rvec
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-92218.html
read the topic below the question "How do I start with PHP? "
RustyM
sonam wrote:
You don't need to pay for PHP, MySql and Apahe server nothing and you can learn PHP localy on your computer without spent any cent. You don't need VS '05 for PHP. You can dowload different packages with all in like XAMP, WAMP, etc.

Sonam

well i have VS '05 already. I wanna know if I can do PHP with it.
rvec
you can:
http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php
AOP Web Development
I heard before that the VS PHP which is a plug in for your VS 2005 BUT you need to pay for it, if i'm not wrong, but there a lot of editor which you can use for your php, Notepad++ is a good one, o Aptana is a better one too.
rvec
That's only writing, not debugging. "With VS.Php you can design, develop, debug and deploy Php applications within the Visual Studio IDE."

edit: solved another mistake Razz
AOP Web Development
rvec wrote:
AOP Web Development wrote:
i guess it's not an iframe thing, if you notice on free hosting sites, that include ads on top or on bottom on every page, let say you sign up for a free hosting, then after you upload your page, so of course you didn't put any iframe tag but, once you view it, theres ads include on top , bottom part. So i guess done with php or a htaccess thing, but not sure about it.

That's only writing, not debugging. "With VS.Php you can design, develop, debug and deploy Php applications within the Visual Studio IDE."

I guess you got the wrong quote on this trend Smile
jossylala
i have a .NET software that a school uses to form thier result through thier intranet.but they are asking for it to be used in thier website so that student result can be online.can anyone tell me how to convert it to php?
rvec
you can't convert something to php, you'll have to rewrite it.
jossylala
can u help me do the convertion?
rvec
I think it would be easier to rewrite it all. The languages are not the same and some functions might be written different in php to make it faster.

I would write down all the functions the program should have, and then start writing in php without looking at how they did it in the .NET. This might not be the best method, but it would be for me since I have zero experience in .NET programming.

Of course I and probably a lot more people on the forums would be willing to help. Just post your questions here.
jossylala
here goes the proble:

the school in particular has a .NET software that the uses to calculate students result.it works this way:

all the subjects offerd in the school is written as an option for each student while it displays only the one that was selected for a particular student.secondly,this is the most tasking to me.the >net software is being categories into different parts for different terms(there are three terms in a section).let me break it down.the first term result breakdown would have something like 1st continous assesment(20%),2nd continous assesment(20%), exam(60%) total and some other fields while second term would have:1st continous assesment(20%),2nd continous assesment(20%),exam total but this time arround,the grand total would be total for first term and second term divided by two which then give the grand total for sencond term.this also applies to third term but this time,it would be total of first,second and third term divided by three.

can you do such?
and not to forget,its the .NET software that does the addition of scores for the school.
rvec
first comment: please don't bump your thread after only 2 hours.

second: it's hard to understand your english so where you can please make simple drawings in paint, links or other stuff to make it easier to understand.

third: with describe the functions I mean what the backbone should be able to do. Functions we'd have to write out.

In this case we'd need a database to connect to (what kind of database?) and we need a login system (with details from the same database). Also do we need some kind of sorting? and if we do, is it possible to make the database do that (like with a mysql query)?

And most important, what do we get (what info, what resources(ftp, ssh(what access?), PHP, MySQL, ...)) and what do we have to make of it?

Ask yourself these questions (or your school) and the more you can answer the more we know about what we are going to write.
jossylala
ok thanks.i would reach them and get back to you guys.it might not be immediate bcos the school computer operator traveled and he is the only one to give me this info.thanks.
Mamsaac
.NET and PHP are very different languages, even when both can be and are used mainly for web development.

If you gave me the .NET code you have (all the folders, including the config file for database connection) I could rewrite it in PHP, but it would take a few weeks, depending on the size of the application.

Personally, my experience with .NET is limited (I've only done a couple of applications for the web in it), but PHP is another thing =) Still, I doubt I will end up helping.

If you're interested or HAVE to do this, you should learn some php, since it's probably the easiest language I've used (... it can get very messy if you're not careful, tough), ignoring crap like Visual Basic.

BTW, if the application is in .NET, I'm asumming it's written using C#, but it could also be done in VB (which I have never used for web, although it should work similar).
jossylala
thanks.i presently have the project onhold and would contact you when i start.about learning php,how can i get a book that would help me out(i know of online schools but its stressful)
rvec
I started on sites like http://www.w3schools.com and made small scripts which most of the time weren't very useful.

After a month or two I bought this book:
http://www.phparch.com/c/books/id/0973862149

I kept making small scripts of most stuff in the book and whenever I had a question I searched on php.net and asked in #php on irc.dal.net (in that order).

I think that's the fasted way to learn PHP (especially the making small scripts part is important).
jossylala
ok thanks
Mamsaac
As rvec said, small scripts are the key.

I have never done a big project (biggest has been 4500 lines of code), but I've done many. The experience small things give you is great, because you learn the stuff you need and you take very little time to learn it instead of doing something big.

I started to program in PHP on 2005, using a tutorial in .txt a friend sent me. Then I read the manual on php.net over and over and go to it every time I have a doubt. Lately I read a book on Zend PHP Certification, since I'm taking it on October, and I'm starting another one for Zend Framework Certification. Sadly, I didn't get them legally, so I can't give out details. (well, at least I have to pay for the certifications =) ).

What I mean is... read, read and don't stop reading. I think it's the secret to many things. But after each thing you read, no matter how small it is, you should do one or two scripts to practice. If a book recommends one, search for another application on the Internet and then try to do it yourself instead of downloading code.

After you learn, using and modifying CMS (in case you're like most people -and unlike me) shouldn't give you too much trouble (just be careful on how the databases are structured).
rvec
and when working on a cms make sure you read their documentation. For example drupal, it has support for more types of database than just MySQL, and by using the functions build in drupal you can also have your addons work on all those database types.

And that's the same book I use Smile. If you did the exams, please send me some example questions. I am also thinking about trying it, but don't know how hard it'll be.
mahirharoon
rvec wrote:

edit: solved another mistake Razz

but many other free softwares like dev-php have debuggers too
[FuN]goku
meh tbh, Notepad2 is good nuff for me. I got VS 2K8 Professional, and i use that for all my regular coding. I cant see the use in putting a php plugin into it, at least not for me anyways.