FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD vs. Intel Relative Speed Info Req'd.

adora333
Hi,

can anyone tell me which of the following two CPUs is likely to be the fastest - I've tried looking at various sites, but can't seem to find both on any one list.
1) AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dualcore 2.40Ghz
2) Intel Pentium Dualcore E2200 2.2 GHz

I'm in the process of replacing the CPU/Motherboard in my mother's computer, and would like to know if one of these CPUs is appreciably faster than the other.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.
jon_k
i wouldbeliveit to betheamd 64 x2 2.4ghz

i have a amd athlon 64x2 6400+ 3.2ghz paid 180
mathiaus
-moved-
jackill
Nope, E2200 will be faster, and You can overclock it to 3.0GHz, on stock cooler.

For example:

Super Pi 16M

15,35.391 - e2140, p5n-e, 2x256(533)patriot + 2x512(667)samsung@all(667)4-4-4-12 ; http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2139/superpipad19zs2.jpg

17,07.219 - X2 3800+ ; Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G ; 1GB@677 Kingmax CL 4-4-4-12 T1 ; http://www.magath.pl/stuff/spi.jpg

Intel @1.6GHz AMD @2.0GHz.

Mine E2160@3.0 is doing Super Pi 16M on 9,xx,xxx
kansloos
I wouldn't recommend the overclocking thingy... it still shortens lifespan, and any warranty will probably be lost
jackill
If You know what are You doing, You can't damage CPU during overclocking. If U set clock too high computer won't boot, if voltage will be too high it shut down due to overhesating warning. Overclocking is SAFE. Warranity can't be set aside because they don't know if U overclocked CPU, because in fact You are overclocking CPU by modifing motherboard settings not CPU settings. It's good to have CPU worth 200$ for 100$ (because of overclocking, for example: 1.6 ->3.0 GHz Wink ).
Craeft
This is gonna be an open-ended debate, because the Intel people will continue to be wrong, and the AMD people will continue to state facts.

Here's the problem... if you have to overclock to compete, then it's not worth buying. It's like a lime in a Corona. If you have to put a foreign object in your beer to make it taste good, then it's not worth drinking.

Notice the unintellectual spelling of "you". That's your first clue.
sandeep898
HEY CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO OVERCLOCK THE CPU
I AM HAVING AN INTEL DUOCORE E2140 1.6MHZ CPU PLEASE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Craeft
sandeep898 wrote:
HEY CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO OVERCLOCK THE CPU
I AM HAVING AN INTEL DUOCORE E2140 1.6MHZ CPU PLEASE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

YEAH! IT'S A LOT EASIER WHEN YOU TURN OFF YOUR CAPSLOCK THOUGH! CAPSLOCK ACTUALLY SLOWS YOUR CPU!
ForceRun
kansloos wrote:
I wouldn't recommend the overclocking thingy... it still shortens lifespan, and any warranty will probably be lost

It is fine to overclock as long as you know what you are doing. Like my Conroe has been overclocked to 3.5 from 2.4 Ghz for 2 years now about and still runs great.
schoenstattmx
I think that the best is AMD, because its fast, better, and cheap, i dont like the intel, because i had a bad experience with a computer with a Celeron at 1.80GHZ and 1gb of ram (Windows XP), it was really slow, i have a cheap computer, a dell that cost me 600 dollars, it has a AMD Sempron, and 1gb of ram memory, its really faster (with Windows XP), i just had an experience and I think that the AMD is BETTER than the Intel

http://www.amd.com/es-es/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_11600_11613,00.html Smile
jackill
AMD faster? You are silly. Overclocked Dual Core E2160 is faster than top in line - Phenom Very Happy
ForceRun
AMD is quite behind right now as far as processors go. Intel has just got a better product line at the moment.
Studio Madcrow
AMD doesn't have the performance advantage that they used to hold over Intel vis a vis high end parts, but their chips are still quite solid (especially their dual core chips, which are not NEARLY as far behind Intel's stuff as their quad core stuff is) and if you're looking to build a small computer, the AMD chipsets with built-in ATI graphics offer a MUCH better solution than anything else on the market.