FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Silverstripe? (Joomla-like CMS)

AftershockVibe
Hey,

I was looking at Silverlight at a relatively new CMS called Silverstripe and thought I'd post here while I'm considering using it so you can protest if you think it will consume too much server resource. However, as far as I can tell it won't be any worse than Joomla (which gets the green light).

Have a look and a play here:
http://www.silverstripe.com/

Cool
silverdown
The only think to worry about is if it cranks the Server CPU usage up in way such as constant editing/running of MySQL/Cronjobs which it doesn't seem to do at the look of it. I don't see any problem with it.
mk12327
When I read that it uses Silverlight, I was expecting an animated site, something like a Flash site? But when I accessed the link and checked out the demo, it seems like its not very animated. The links are not like Rich Internet Applications where interactions are instant, rather than reloading a page. Probably extendable to do those, not very sure though.
mOrpheuS
I don't think Silverstripe uses Silverlight.

Atleast I couldn't find anything on their site which indicates otherwise.
AftershockVibe
mOrpheuS wrote:
I don't think Silverstripe uses Silverlight.

Atleast I couldn't find anything on their site which indicates otherwise.

Indeed. Silverstripe has nothing to do with silverlight. The first is a content management system, the latter is Microsoft's flash replacement.
Bondings
I would try it out. Besides, if a script is resource intensive (unless it's so heavy it doesn't work) is only important if it gets a lot of traffic. If you get less than 100 pageviews per day, don't bother optimising it or worrying about it.
mk12327
ok, at least that confirms my doubts. I linked it to Silverlight because it was mentioned by the post starter. So it really has nothing to do with Silverlight... Laughing
AftershockVibe
Back to the original comment...

SivlerStripe requires MySQL 4.1 and the server I'm on (2, the DirectAdmin one) only has 4.0.
So it looks like this is a no-go unless there's a MySQL upgrade coming any time soon? I don't know if the other servers are any higher?
Bondings
AftershockVibe wrote:
Back to the original comment...

SivlerStripe requires MySQL 4.1 and the server I'm on (2, the DirectAdmin one) only has 4.0.
So it looks like this is a no-go unless there's a MySQL upgrade coming any time soon? I don't know if the other servers are any higher?

Yes the other servers have mysql 5. I'm also planning to upgrade the mysql version on server 2, although I can't put a date on it. How fast do you need it? If you really want, you can get an account on a different server. The problem is though, that the subdomain would be different.
AftershockVibe
Hmmm...

An account on a different server would be great if it's not much trouble. I never use the subdomain anyway, besides the Silverlight questions were in aid of entirely rewriting the thing with a different registered domain entirely! So none of this is an issue.

Nothing on my account at the moment is needed (including databases) so feel free to nuke it - no need to transfer anything!
AK47BLAZE
Bondings wrote:
I would try it out. Besides, if a script is resource intensive (unless it's so heavy it doesn't work) is only important if it gets a lot of traffic. If you get less than 100 pageviews per day, don't bother optimising it or worrying about it.
Ya I agree.
AftershockVibe
Any update on this?
I'm in no particular rush, I'm just concerned that the thread was heading for the bottom of the page! Very Happy
swizzy
Hold on... do you really need a account change? Because I managed to get silverstripe working on server 2.

I remember tweaking some options and then got it working, if you want to stay on server 2 and retain your subdomain, I could go back and try to find the tweaking that I had done to get it up. Idea
AftershockVibe
It's not that it doesn't work - it's more that it will refuse to install if it does not meet those requirements.
I'd be interested in knowing how you got it to work though if you can remember.
rajupp
if someone has the details on the advantages it has over Wordpress and other related CMS, please list them out here, it will be very helpful for n00bs like me Embarassed
else, any link explaining the same would suffice as well
cheers!
Bondings
AftershockVibe wrote:
Any update on this?
I'm in no particular rush, I'm just concerned that the thread was heading for the bottom of the page! Very Happy

I'm really sorry. I forgot about it. Please check your email for the account details and take your time to transfer the files/websites.
AftershockVibe
Awesome.
I've been away so haven't had time to test this yet or use my account but it here's a belated thank you.

I'll update the thread if anything comes up. Cool