FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If you could make a game...

Wuppie
If you could make a game, how would it be? Describe your (original) ideas here!
Maserman
I i made a game, no matters what kind would it be, but i would make it also for LINUX.

Developers just ferget about that wonderful open-source OS.
Vladalf
I allready made some games and now I'm learning a better programming language. I have alot of projects with design documents, artwork and such but I still need to learn.

-Vladalf
wombatrpgs
"If" I made a game...? I believe there's an amateur game design thread floating around this board somewhere. Anyway... If that's not what you're looking for, the link in my signature may give you some ideas... There's a couple of forums there for discussion of these sorts of things, as well as a program for people with no programming experience to start up in no time. (Alright, I'll stop shameless promotion now.)
Wuppie
wombatrpgs wrote:
"If" I made a game...? I believe there's an amateur game design thread floating around this board somewhere. Anyway... If that's not what you're looking for, the link in my signature may give you some ideas... There's a couple of forums there for discussion of these sorts of things, as well as a program for people with no programming experience to start up in no time. (Alright, I'll stop shameless promotion now.)

It's not about that.
If you had all the things you need to make a game, if you owned a great game studio, and you are the one who has to come up with new original games, what kind of game would it be.
haydxn
I don't own a game studio, but I do work for one, and have the luxury of making games for a living - although granted it is other people's games that I'm making.

I do have some ideas for games that I want to make, but - being in a reasonably good position to actually achieve that - I don't think I should share, as I want the fun of making them myself!
wombatrpgs
Wuppie wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

It's not about that.
If you had all the things you need to make a game, if you owned a great game studio, and you are the one who has to come up with new original games, what kind of game would it be.

You have a point, though I'd love to say my studio is perfectly competent to carry out these ideas. However, what I've always wanted to try is just a game without any text at all. Just the idea of conveying emotions and characters through scenes, art, and music, just seems to be really appealing to me. It would be almost a surreal experience... However, I don't think I have the time to do that, nor the skill.
haydxn
Ico is a great example of that, if you exclude the few bits of witchvoice. An emotional masterpiece
wombatrpgs
Ico...? Never heard of it. Could you elaborate? I've never seen a game that really did this before, to the extent that a character is conveyed. Most just use a silent protagonist out of laziness.
haydxn
Ico is a PS2 game, where you control a horned boy who's been abandoned in a castle by fearful villagers to appease the gods or somesuch. You have to escape the castle, but also get a little ghostly girl out with you. It's a 3D puzzling platformer, a bit like if you took all the combat out of the original tomb raider, but you also had someone whos hand you have to (literally) hold. It's an incredibly emotive game, especially towards the end, and the graphics are just beautiful.
Loghete
Bird Flying Simulator! You'd be able to freely fly around in this huge, detailed world..
Wuppie
Loghete wrote:
Bird Flying Simulator! You'd be able to freely fly around in this huge, detailed world..

Sounds fun, but there won't be any goal in the game...Or you should really be the bird and need to catch worms to survive, etc...
joostvane
My self made video game would be like a Flight simulator, but then made in space. So you could control a space ship, fight guys, and maybe also people that help control them, like Air traffic controllers.

Star wars style bro, star wars!
Bannik
my perfect game would be an mmorpg but instead of playing as characters you create a MOB yes you heard me a mob of creeps...

let me explain.
instead of a valiant paladin of blah blah blah you play as a band of creeps like wolves etc who attack cities etc.....
this allows for the game to be more tactical and more fair since you can control multiple characters.
wombatrpgs
In theory, an MMORPG is supposed to work like that, with players having to coordinate tactically to get anything done. Though it never turns out that way, does it? Though that does remind me of an idea I had once of a roguelike MMORPG, where players competed for slots as deities, and basically turned the game into a massive manhunt...
Nehallyn
Maserman wrote:
I i made a game, no matters what kind would it be, but i would make it also for LINUX.

Developers just ferget about that wonderful open-source OS.

YES! I use Linux because I cannot stand Windows, and can't afford the gazillions of dollars it takes to buy the cheapest Mac. More games for Linux would be awesome.
catscratches
Unfortunately, commercial releases doesn't bother on making it avaible for minorities.

I'd love to make a horror-FPS or a game where you controlled the inner workings of your own brain and tried to keep yourself from becoming mad.
gugusm
I would make a game, where you are a worm and you have to accomplish your mission of destroying the world Wink
HamsterMan
If I had any good ideas for games, I would have made them already.
Techie87
it would defenitely be a shooter Razz but i'm not the most creative minded so .. ^^
revani
A bug-free Role Playing Game! It never existed lol Very Happy
italianoman
I'd make a virtual representation of a southeast Florida city called something like Weather Station, and the purpose of the game would be to accurately predict meteorological happenings based on full expanses real time information and of course physics (you HAVE to have wind damage if it's florida right). Essential, it'd be a third person mission based structure, you'd have a life and all that jazz, it's just that it would be closer to Sim Forecaster than Grand Theft Auto freeform play, that's simply how I looked at it.

Don't worry though! I can't imagine a single other human being enjoying this game, I've just always liked wind swept oceans and incredible wind, and to practically control that freely in a realistic game environment would be INCREDIBLE.
simonwest80
wombatrpgs wrote:
In theory, an MMORPG is supposed to work like that, with players having to coordinate tactically to get anything done. Though it never turns out that way, does it?

You should play WoW and some of the 25/10 man raids from the burning crusade - Trust in me you need a lot of practice and coordination

And as for designing games i also have the privilege of doing this as a full time job

But, one i would either like to do in the future would be a MMOFPS much like PlanetSide. But rather than in the future be maybe WW2 with continuing moving front lines and massive battles including tanks, planes etc trying to get key locations etc. Another feature of this game would be once you die you start again, so its really important to try and keep you character alive (very small amount of RPG mechanics in there)

So is Planetside meets Battlefield meets Day of Defeat

Different Classes like spy, sniper, soldier, pilot etc
Nameless
Wuppie wrote:
Describe your (original) ideas here!

No such thing. But if I had millions of dollars to hire an team of video game expert developers I'd end up with some kind of massive genre crossover involving turn based strategy, role playing, fighting, through in puzzle solving outside of battle, arcade minigames, somehow shove platforming sections in there ...
shijiang1130
Wuppie wrote:
If you could make a game, how would it be? Describe your (original) ideas here!

MY GAME would be beatiful interface, and mutiplue person can enjoy this, this game publich after tesing more 1000000 time, no patch, no update.....
Zombie
My game would be something like final fantasy... but more like grand theft auto camera and controls. It would have online support in a mmo style!
wombatrpgs
simonwest80 wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
In theory, an MMORPG is supposed to work like that, with players having to coordinate tactically to get anything done. Though it never turns out that way, does it?

You should play WoW and some of the 25/10 man raids from the burning crusade - Trust in me you need a lot of practice and coordination

If by practice you mean level grinding, which I find an unattractive feature in a lot of games. Nothing against the ones mentioned; I've only tried them marginally. If a roguelike element were incorporated, hopefully making that kind of investment would be beyond most. A game with a shorter life of the character?
spinout
reinvent motorcity online.

Or perhaps a totally realistic racinggame in traffic.

Or a mma fighting game - the ones yet has been quite cheap in control and well overall...

A racing game totally realistic with low hp cars on a small circuit - dirttrack style... A stockcars game.
DreamWorld
If i made a game, the game will be identical to starcraft 2 or diablo 3, i think that blizzard is a very good and very competitive company that really makes great games, the sales prove this...every single game blizzard made was a instant hit! This is the best company in the world and should be given a oscar for everything they make Cool
lethaltriad
I love atmospherical games and games that can pull you into the storyline and take you to another world. I would love to make a game like Bioshock... create my own world/universe and then trap my gamers inside. Would also love to make a game like diablo.