FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


xMPACT.com is alive!! - And Updated 7-17-2008!!!!






I like xMPACT.com!
totally!
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
not really!
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
I hate it!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
What's a website?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

IceCreamTruck
So, I finally took my project hub site live and I've been doing some work on it. I would love it if you guys would swing through and tell me how I'm doing. Check it out: xMPACT.com

What am I doing right?

What am I doing wrong?

Where should I improve things?

Are there simple changes that make a huge effect?!?!?

Do you guys see anything broken? Doesn't appear right in your browser?

OH, please include links to the frihost post on your website in this post if you'd like me to return the favor!!

P.S. the video (second link in navigation) is totally sweet, and I think you ALL should watch it!! Makes me feel good about life!
IceCreamTruck
OK, so now there is a new tab system on the website, yeah!

I'm currently working on the navigation because the chat/forums stylesheets seem to break it appart even though I have lowered my styles to page level. Pretty soon I'm going to try attaching the styles to each element where possible, and if that doesn't work then I'm going to look for another forum skin that does not have this effect on my tab navigation. If that doesn't work then I'm going to write my own skin for phpbb3 and publish it. Smile at least it will be some good linkbacks.

So far so good though. I thought I would have more issues than this, and I'm getting closer to the money now, so keep your fingers crossed.

Come check out xMPACT.com and see what I've done with the place! It's come a long way, and I'm hoping to get the help here that I got on AstroTwister.com. You guys are great! I plan on making some changes over there that users have suggested, and now I'm hoping to get some good solid imput on xMPACT.com, my project hub, my NEWEST CREATION!! It's ALIVE!!! Smile (I need a frankinstein emoticon) Shocked shock...that'll do.
nivinjoy
Hey mann the design is nice and i liked it a lot...!! Good work...Keep it up mann...!!!
b4r4t
Well ... then from beginning:

First of all sorry if I will be to cruel - It's not the way I want to be then don't take it to Yourself Smile


Design ... maybe clean... but ... not to clean? I don't like those colour boxes on main site ... those looks ... well ... poorly ... to colorfull ... doesn't match ...
Whole design looks like it was made in year 2000 ...
You have to read about xHTML and CSS.
Source code ... tables, HTML formating ... not in this times! Now webmasters do it in diffrent semantic way.
Menu on top and on bottom ... I don't like such conception ... on bottom make normal footer links.

Plus for crossbrowser compatibility ... works OK on FF, IE and Opera Smile

Try to watch nice projects for example on deviantart.com. Learn something. Now this designs looks only like MFA (Made For AdSense)

Next inspiration page may be:
http://www.digart.pl/przegladaj/47/designs/strony_www.html

It's a Polish language site, wher polish designers place their projects. You don't have to speak in polish - You just have to know that in bottom right corner there is a button "Nastepna strona" which means "Next page" Smile For content You may use http://www.google.com/translate_t but translators aren't perfect Smile
IceCreamTruck
nivinjoy wrote:
Hey mann the design is nice and i liked it a lot...!! Good work...Keep it up mann...!!!


Wow, thanks so much for making my day a little better! Great encouragement.

It's really a work in progress, and I've worked on images some just to give it a not so bland look, but functionality is really what I am going for and I've got a lot of work to do still.

So it will look even prettier in the near future, but I'm happy to have most everything on the site working, and working across many different browsers.

THANKS AGAIN!
IceCreamTruck
b4r4t wrote:
Well ... then from beginning:

First of all sorry if I will be to cruel - It's not the way I want to be then don't take it to Yourself Smile



OK, shoot...I'm ready! lol. Seriously I don't think giving advice is a bad thing. For starters it's only your opinion, and not fact, so you can say anything you want.

b4r4t wrote:

Design ... maybe clean... but ... not to clean? I don't like those colour boxes on main site ... those looks ... well ... poorly ... to colorfull ... doesn't match ...


Fair comments. I don't really like the color boxes either. I will make them better as time goes on, but here's the trick to them...you can put any background you want in them and change their size very easily. My goal here was customizable boxes for use where ever I want. Did you read my code? You will see that I have written these boxes well, and they are super easy to use.

b4r4t wrote:

Whole design looks like it was made in year 2000 ...
You have to read about xHTML and CSS.
Source code ... tables, HTML formating ... not in this times! Now webmasters do it in diffrent semantic way.
Menu on top and on bottom ... I don't like such conception ... on bottom make normal footer links.


I'm going for the "google" look for my site, and I do feel like some of your comments where a little below the belt here. As always on the web there is a fight for developers to get things live, and learn new techniques at the same time. In this case it's time to stop trying to upgrade and get the job done. I don't have all my SEO, or xHTML compliance yet but it's coming soon enough. I just ripped out this site in a matter of days...there's only so much I can do at one time.

Did you even read the code?

BTW, I'm shooting for compatibility, not latest greatest website. I want EVERYONE to be able to see my website and this includes people with readers (the blind), this includes people with pre2000 browsers, this includes people with cell phones/PDAs, and non-javascript browsers (yes, they are out there). My audience is a little wider than you are used to thinking...and yes that does mean I can't use some modern techniques because it would litterally mean that some people wouldn't be able to see my website, and that's not good.

b4r4t wrote:

Plus for crossbrowser compatibility ... works OK on FF, IE and Opera Smile


It looks horrible in IE when you goto xmpact.com/chat. I'm still working on this part of the tab system. If you look closely you will see a change in the tab system when you go to this page.

Not surprising all the other browsers...opera, ff, netscape did just fine with the code. Getting IE to look similar was a pain in the butt, and it still looks horrible there.

Try this and you will see why I did what I did to my site...open opera and then click the "authormode" button and get rid of the styles. I can picture someone on a cell phone seeing my site this way, and it makes me happy. It's also designed with breakdown in mind, so it is actually very modern in functionality.

b4r4t wrote:

Try to watch nice projects for example on deviantart.com. Learn something. Now this designs looks only like MFA (Made For AdSense)


simple site...used more green than I did...doesn't look like google...and I don't really care for this site. I'll have to come back and look at the code.

b4r4t wrote:

Next inspiration page may be:
http://www.digart.pl/przegladaj/47/designs/strony_www.html


This is an awesome site. Graphics have drop shaddows just like me, but apparently this person has given more time to the images on their site. My site will hopefully look this nice and put together one day...but you gotta give me a break. I just came miles and miles and miles with my site. Baby steps, dude...baby steps.

BTW, I am Polish, but I dont' speak the language.

b4r4t wrote:

It's a Polish language site, wher polish designers place their projects. You don't have to speak in polish - You just have to know that in bottom right corner there is a button "Nastepna strona" which means "Next page" Smile For content You may use http://www.google.com/translate_t but translators aren't perfect Smile


Thanks for the advice. I will check into this site a little more and examine the code.

You were really nice to give some good examples for me to look at and I thank you for that.

BTW, just so you know the tab system on my site is an upgrade that I have been wanting to make for a long time. Why? Because it's actually a bulleted list like this


  1. Home
  2. Media
  3. Chat
  4. CooSites
  5. ...


Except that I use CSS to lay it out along the top of the page and to colorize it a little so that it looks more like a tab system. Why do this? Because when a persons browser breaks the CSS or can't see it then it spills out in a form that even a cell phone can read. it's called "break-down" functionality.

I've still got a lot of things like this on my mind, so I will continue to add them where possible.

Thanks again dude!
kerryworkman
I am deffinately not up to speed on my coding, and what goes on behind the scenes on most web pages so I don't have any comment on that part, although it sounds like you know what you are talking about. I will comment however on the overall design. First off I like how easy you made it to navigate ( no chance of getting hopelessly lost anywhere on your site). I also like the simplicity of your design, I think toooo many web designers go way too far with the graphics and forget about content. It is also easy to read and find what you are looking for.

Now for the negatives, which I did not find many of. First, the colored boxes on page one, I have to agree with the other comment, I don't like them either, they take away from the page rather than adding to it. Mabye if you made them simpler gradients (1 color) or just solid colors that are all in the same color family, or at least compliment each other I think it would work alot better. The other main thing is just in the fact that it is unfinished. I know it is still in progress, but I can't stand it when a website has a section that is under construction or comming soon. In my opinion. I would rather see a webpage with little or no links then one that has alot of pages in progress.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well with the website, and hopefully this helps a little.
b4r4t
Well there is a lot of work in front of You.
If You want to make it cell phone/pda readable You have to get rid of tablebased design. You have to remove things like:


Code:
<BODY TOPMARGIN=11 LEFTMARGIN=0 BGCOLOR=#444444 ALIGN=MIDDLE>


or

Code:
<TD WIDTH=15 BACKGROUND="http://xMPACT.com/img/FFFFFF_sr.gif"><FONT CLASS=InvisibleFont>&nbsp;</FONT>


No formating in HTML document. All presentation part should be in CSS document. In HTML there is only structure.
Look at CSSZenGarden - there is one, clean HTML file with no formating at all, and then 1000s of CSS styles giving this HTML document many different looks Smile
It's the only proper way to have the site readable in PC, PDA, CellPhone, ScreenReaders Smile
You have to split presentation from code Smile
IceCreamTruck
b4r4t wrote:
Well there is a lot of work in front of You.
If You want to make it cell phone/pda readable You have to get rid of tablebased design. You have to remove things like:


Code:
<BODY TOPMARGIN=11 LEFTMARGIN=0 BGCOLOR=#444444 ALIGN=MIDDLE>


or

Code:
<TD WIDTH=15 BACKGROUND="http://xMPACT.com/img/FFFFFF_sr.gif"><FONT CLASS=InvisibleFont>&nbsp;</FONT>


No formating in HTML document. All presentation part should be in CSS document. In HTML there is only structure.
Look at CSSZenGarden - there is one, clean HTML file with no formating at all, and then 1000s of CSS styles giving this HTML document many different looks Smile
It's the only proper way to have the site readable in PC, PDA, CellPhone, ScreenReaders Smile
You have to split presentation from code Smile


Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. I will look into it more. As I have been reading the point is to be viewable on a 150px wide screen without horizontal scrolling. Tough: yes. Impossible: no.

I've done it before, and I think the major way I'm going to get this done is by redirecting users on these types of systems to a preformatted page built to be 150px wide.
positive_vibes
Not to shabby for a novice coming from a novice. I would have to agree with b4r4t about the bottom menu, a normal footer would be best. You explained that your styles are being messed up by your board so I wont critique them, other than saying they are too bland with the default browser links. Your site does not appear to have a target audience of any sort, seems more like just a personal page for fun. You will get people to visit, but very few returns. Having an over all theme directed toward a target audience will assure more traffic, leading to more hits on your google ads. Maybe some more user interaction would help. Allowing members to add cooJokes or cooSoft, and voice their opinion of the ones already there in comments would get more people to register. Just friendly suggestions though. Keep up the good work and don't let the dead ends and frustrations of web design get you down.
IceCreamTruck
positive_vibes wrote:
Not to shabby for a novice coming from a novice. I would have to agree with b4r4t about the bottom menu, a normal footer would be best. You explained that your styles are being messed up by your board so I wont critique them, other than saying they are too bland with the default browser links. Your site does not appear to have a target audience of any sort, seems more like just a personal page for fun. You will get people to visit, but very few returns. Having an over all theme directed toward a target audience will assure more traffic, leading to more hits on your google ads. Maybe some more user interaction would help. Allowing members to add cooJokes or cooSoft, and voice their opinion of the ones already there in comments would get more people to register. Just friendly suggestions though. Keep up the good work and don't let the dead ends and frustrations of web design get you down.


You are right on track. I wish I could hire you to help me because you've basically outlined my todo list.

1. Change the tabs on bottom to a normal link list that poeple are used to seeing: unfinished.

2. Work with the tab system to colorize it (went for funcionality first), so it's more artzy

3. Add existing content to coosites, coojokes, and coosoft and plan for the future of these sections (layout, navigation, pagination). Make it so users can add coosites, coojokes, coosoft so these pages grow by my efforts and other's efforts.

4. Work on projects that bring people to my site. My website (xMPACT.com) is a project hub for myself and hopefully others. Eventually it will be for anyone who needs to distribute software to the public. It's a long road and I'm working on adding the content now. Projects Include: building my fiance's clown website (laugh all you want, she makes GREAT money), building more widgets like AstroTwister for the Yahoo widget engine in order to pull people to xMPACT.com.

5. Keep writing tutorials, collecting cool things online, and actually remembering to put them on my website. lol!


Thanks alot for the confirmation that I am on the right track!! Don't appologize for your oppinion. Just let it be what it is, and you'll find that like now most people will agree with you.

Thanks, positive_vibes!
IceCreamTruck
You guys are awesome but ... you are't voting at the top of this thread!!

Please, help give me a "at a glance" view of how I am doing...just a thought!

Is making it so you can change your vote a phpbb3 thing? Dang it all!!! Lmao, I'm going to have to create a new thread or something, and see if that's an option on phpbb_frihost.

I guess I'm already used to the phpbb3 olympus forums, yeah! but sadly it means that you cannot change your vote here! Sad No worries, I know you all love my site!! And it's only going to get better!
Ghost Rider103
The layout is ok, though the graphics arn't very good.

This website would have been perfectly fine about 5 years ago. Now the graphics are much more advanced than just one color square with text on it. If you got way better graphics, including your logo, then it would be perfect.

I can help you out with the graphics if you want. You can check out my website, www.knrdesigns.com But feel free to just PM me if you want, I can send you some examples of what I can do (I made the entire website as well), since my website isn't fully done yet.

Not bad though.
IceCreamTruck
What my site needs is a good looking page below the search bar. Everything above it is staying that way, but everything below the search bar and inside the box is fair game.

Although I am not going to be quick about changing the navigation right now...I just got done messing with it...I am not opposed to hearing good ideas about what to do with my website design.

I'd like to see what you do with xMPACT! (logo). Maybe give it a whirl and see what you come up with. I like outside the box. Play with it...and if not then that's fine. I think my xmpact logo has some really cool points, and some not so cool, but it's high on the rememberablity scale, so I'm happy with it.

My main focus is the body of the page itself. I have been tossing a couple designs around, and a few different Ideas. I'd show them to you, but I want to see what you come up with on your own.

If you'd like the same kind of help, then I am willing to lend a hand. BTW, that website you showed me is KNR Designs or something is a pretty cool looking site although I like small and tight instead of huge and large buttons or graphics. Small is better to me, but that site looks nice.

Only thing I'd change there right off the bat is the font color on the home page. It's not very high contrast to the background. Changing the color isn't needed, but lightening it up a little would help it be more readable. Just a thought. Maroon background makes that font harder to concentrate on.

BTW, I think I've decided to use Divx.com as an example of how to be. I am not going to steal any code or graphics because I can create it all on my own, but I like they way they do things at Divx.com and I'm going to learn from their awesome example of a modern site.
I like some things about Donatos.com as well, and plan on incorporating some donatos flavor to my friends website! Once again, I steal nothing. It's hard to explain...my muse is browsing the web for websites that catch my eye, and thinking about how I could make it better.

The CSS tab system wasn't my idea, but I just got finished writing the whole thing. You'd be surprised how different it looks in each browser until you have a good finished copy. My copy looks crappy in IE (what most people use) but it works well and it looks awesome in Opera, Netscape, and FireFox and works just as well, so I went for not so good looking but works well. It transforms too!! if you don't have a modern browser then it's just a bulleted list of links, and I find backwards compatibility to be VERY important.
IceCreamTruck
BOOM BABY!!!

I am loving it!!! I just updated the home page, and I think I've got some good stuff to keep, but as always I need you guys to tell me what you think!!! TEAR IT UP!!! LMAO! Smile Laughing Dancing

Please, if you have seen the site before now, then I really need you to come back cause I am finally really proud of my site and think that you guys diserve better than what I have been giving you.

That time is over!! HAHA!

Check it: xMPACT.com

PS. yes, you can talk to me about trading links!! Smile
IceCreamTruck
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
The layout is ok, though the graphics arn't very good.

This website would have been perfectly fine about 5 years ago. Now the graphics are much more advanced than just one color square with text on it. If you got way better graphics, including your logo, then it would be perfect.

I can help you out with the graphics if you want. You can check out my website, www.knrdesigns.com But feel free to just PM me if you want, I can send you some examples of what I can do (I made the entire website as well), since my website isn't fully done yet.

Not bad though.


What do you think about the graphics now? A step in the right direction? I think so!
IceCreamTruck
positive_vibes wrote:
Not to shabby for a novice coming from a novice. I would have to agree with b4r4t about the bottom menu, a normal footer would be best. You explained that your styles are being messed up by your board so I wont critique them, other than saying they are too bland with the default browser links. Your site does not appear to have a target audience of any sort, seems more like just a personal page for fun. You will get people to visit, but very few returns. Having an over all theme directed toward a target audience will assure more traffic, leading to more hits on your google ads. Maybe some more user interaction would help. Allowing members to add cooJokes or cooSoft, and voice their opinion of the ones already there in comments would get more people to register. Just friendly suggestions though. Keep up the good work and don't let the dead ends and frustrations of web design get you down.


Now that I've made some changes for the better on the home page I am going to start working on adding user ability to add CooJokes, CooSites, CooSoft and Tutorials but I am going to interface all of that into the phpbb3 login system along with a points system that allows people to post more and more CooSites, and CooSoft. CooJokes and Tutorials are going to be free for users to add to, but they must register in my forums first.
IceCreamTruck
b4r4t wrote:
First of all sorry if I will be to cruel...


Has anything changed for you? I really need you guys to come back and tell me how I am doing. I've made many of these changes because you guys asked for it, so I want to know what you think!!
Ghost Rider103
Nothing has changed drastically. The logo still isn't very appealing, and neither is the navigation bar.

The graphics itself just don't look like they were professionally made.

A step in the right direction? Sure, just not a very big one.
IceCreamTruck
b4r4t wrote:
[Navigation Tab] Menu on top and on bottom ... I don't like such conception ... on bottom make normal footer links.


What do you think of my footer links now?

b4r4t wrote:

Try to watch nice projects for example on deviantart.com. Learn something. Now this designs looks only like MFA (Made For AdSense)


I think I'm doing a good job of hiding the fact that there are ads on the page now, but I wasn't before. You were right...they stuck out too much because the page didn't have anything on it. Now I think they are at the right level with other content on the page.

b4r4t wrote:

Next inspiration page may be:
http://www.digart.pl/przegladaj/47/designs/strony_www.html


You were right about this site being pretty cool on a design level, but I hate the ad at the top!! that's the most important space on the page, and it's an ad...me no likey. Smile

I am absorbing design ideas from that site...I'll keep you posted if I notice anything specific to that site that I like, but I have taken a lot from DivX.com (legal...I have not stolen anything) and the awesome design there. Can you see it? I made my welcome screen just as welcoming as theirs, or tried. Smile
IceCreamTruck
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Nothing has changed drastically. The logo still isn't very appealing, and neither is the navigation bar.

The graphics itself just don't look like they were professionally made.

A step in the right direction? Sure, just not a very big one.


Fair enough, and I value your opinion. It's good motivation to try and get you as excited about it as I am. The awesome part is that my programming is tight. I will be able to make more and more changes faster and faster over the next few weeks because I have totally pimped out my header, footer, and navigations so that one little change here, and another there affects every page on the site...even the php forums! Boom baby!

The important thing is that I like it, and I finally have a home online where I can put my stuff up for you guys to enjoy. It's just a dream of mine to have it really blow up into something special, and it's happening. You guys get to see it being built!!

Trust me...designing the website is only the first part. The CooSoft section is going to be where it's at. I have been doing some cool stuff in opengl, and now I'm moving into database driven interactive solar system with client connections. Website, sure...but it's only the hub! the iceberg is bigger than it looks. Throw a couple new Yahoo Widgets into the mix and I'll have a 100k user community in about 1 year. That's if I ever get around to building them. I have a few ideas.

Thanks for coming back and taking a look! Smile
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Webmaster and Internet -> Advertise Your Website

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.