FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Time Era for Entertainment

Afaceinthematrix
The other day I was talking with my friend and we both agreed that entertainment sucks today compared to what it used to be. Everything played on the radio is complete crap. Artists like "Soulja Boy" and songs like "Sexy Back" are horrible. There's absolutely no thought in the lyrics. Shows they put on the television aren't nearly as good as they used to be. The best game console of all time was the Super Nintendo. That's just our opinion; many people love what comes out in the media nowadays. So... what do you like? What time period do you think was the best for entertainment? In other words, during what years did some of your favorite movies/games/songs/bands/etc. come out?
standready
I have to agree with you about the crap today. Everything is made on the cheap but alot of people still watch/listen to the crap. Execs love the cost and keep cranking the crap out. Gone are the days of quality.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
The other day I was talking with my friend and we both agreed that entertainment sucks today compared to what it used to be. Everything played on the radio is complete crap. Artists like "Soulja Boy" and songs like "Sexy Back" are horrible. There's absolutely no thought in the lyrics. Shows they put on the television aren't nearly as good as they used to be. The best game console of all time was the Super Nintendo. That's just our opinion; many people love what comes out in the media nowadays. So... what do you like? What time period do you think was the best for entertainment? In other words, during what years did some of your favorite movies/games/songs/bands/etc. come out?

Excellent discussion point. Agreed totally about the music. Almost as though it has died, and we are now listening to lyrics and sounds from the grave.

Same problem with the movies that we get to see these days. Feels as though they are coming out of a low-cost production line with very little imagination or depth. Plastic movies that are either a continuance of previous themes, such as Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Rambo, Rocky, or just plain junk. Violence for the sake of violence movies with no style in them. No more interesting detective thrillers, think the closest in something new and creative in detective movies has been Tom Selleck's Jesse Stone movies. I would love to see another movie like Crimson Tide. Or The Scarlett and the Black with Christopher Plummer and Gregory Peck made in the eighties. I have not seen a good war movie in a very long time. Perhaps "Karol" is the closest I have seen of a good movie, and perhaps a lot of money from the Vatican went into the making of the movie. Think there is a complete revival needed. Or perhaps one has to be patient as maybe this is like the stock market. Everything moves in cycles and presently we have a very down cycle.
ccube921
Sorry bout that I didnt notice that wat I said had been posted alredy yeep dont ban me
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Excellent discussion point. Agreed totally about the music. Almost as though it has died, and we are now listening to lyrics and sounds from the grave.

Same problem with the movies that we get to see these days. Feels as though they are coming out of a low-cost production line with very little imagination or depth. Plastic movies that are either a continuance of previous themes, such as Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Rambo, Rocky, or just plain junk. Violence for the sake of violence movies with no style in them. No more interesting detective thrillers, think the closest in something new and creative in detective movies has been Tom Selleck's Jesse Stone movies. I would love to see another movie like Crimson Tide. Or The Scarlett and the Black with Christopher Plummer and Gregory Peck made in the eighties. I have not seen a good war movie in a very long time. Perhaps "Karol" is the closest I have seen of a good movie, and perhaps a lot of money from the Vatican went into the making of the movie. Think there is a complete revival needed. Or perhaps one has to be patient as maybe this is like the stock market. Everything moves in cycles and presently we have a very down cycle.

So then I take it that you like the 80's? That's your favorite era for entertainment? The 80's did have the release of Star Wars VI: The Return of the Jedi. And I agree with what you said about pointless action. The new Star Wars movies were about 100x better in action, but they weren't nearly as good in acting and dialogue as the old ones. The 80's was also the best time for metal, with the emergence of bands like Metallica.

I personally like the late 90's to early 2000's most for entertainment. Between those years, there was a nice balance between the good action and story. The Matrix (1999) is a perfect example of that. The 90's also had a lot of other good things in it. Super Nintendo was released. Rap music was at its best with albums like Infinite and The Marshall Mathers LP (I'm not a huge rap fan, but that was the one time where I liked it). The late 90's/early 2000's also saw the WWF Attitude Era and the legendary Monday Night Wars (which almost any wrestling fan will tell you is the greatest time in wrestling history - now wrestling is horrible beyond belief).

Hopefully you're right... hopefully this is just a down period and things will get better!
Liu
You know what's funny? Back in the 80's I'm sure most people were complaining about their current music and how old music was way better.

I personally like Sexy Back -- it's a sick beat, and good music for the club. It's no wonder the album received that many sells and awards. Soulja Boy had a good run but just became so played out.

You enjoy Wrestling as entertainment? I personally believe it's some of the worst garbage ever. But hey, to each their own.

In terms of cartoons, my favorite would have to be the 90s. Movies? 90's and 2000's have produced some solid hits. Books? I'd have to say early 1900's. Video games? Right now, they just seem to be getting better and better. Music? I personally listen to music from the classical time period, to jazz, rock, rap, hip-hop, etc -- I can't say I have a favorite.
ocalhoun
That depends entirely on what type of entertainment you're talking about.

For music: 30AD to 1920AD
For movies: 2000 to present (except for a few classics)
For television: Sometime in the future? The past and present are hopeless.
For games: 1998 to present. (Though that's not as clear cut as the rest; there were good games before '98 and lots of bad ones throughout.)
Afaceinthematrix
Liu wrote:
You know what's funny? Back in the 80's I'm sure most people were complaining about their current music and how old music was way better.

There will always be some people who dislike contemporary entertainment but I've never seen it in this current situation where so many people dislike current entertainment.
Quote:

I personally like Sexy Back -- it's a sick beat, and good music for the club. It's no wonder the album received that many sells and awards. Soulja Boy had a good run but just became so played out.

The beat isn't the point. Those lyrics are so unbelievably horrible. They have absolutely no thought to them. Every song is the same: they talk about sex and try to find as many candies (laffy taffy, tootsie rolls) as they can to describe chicks with).
Quote:

You enjoy Wrestling as entertainment? I personally believe it's some of the worst garbage ever. But hey, to each their own.

Ahh, whatever. Since you're not a fan of wrestling, you wouldn't know about the trends but take my word for it, wrestling was about 1000x better during the "Attitude Era" (98-01). Storylines were good. The matches were good. The promos were epic. The excitement was unbelievable.

ocalhoun wrote:
That depends entirely on what type of entertainment you're talking about.

For music: 30AD to 1920AD
For movies: 2000 to present (except for a few classics)
For television: Sometime in the future? The past and present are hopeless.
For games: 1998 to present. (Though that's not as clear cut as the rest; there were good games before '98 and lots of bad ones throughout.)

I like music from the same time period. But what do you have against current shows that have been made for the television?
Liu
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

There will always be some people who dislike contemporary entertainment but I've never seen it in this current situation where so many people dislike current entertainment.

Were you old enough in the 70s and 80s to make a comparison? If so many people dislike current entertainment, then there'd definitely be a shift. The general public is what made music what it is today. Sex sells, it's as simple as that.

Quote:

The beat isn't the point. Those lyrics are so unbelievably horrible. They have absolutely no thought to them. Every song is the same: they talk about sex and try to find as many candies (laffy taffy, tootsie rolls) as they can to describe chicks with).

The beat is everything. It's music. On top of that, lyrics take a back seat in club music. You're listening to the beat first when you're dancing, lyrics second. But "since you're not a fan you wouldn't know about the trends but take my word for it."
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

I like music from the same time period. But what do you have against current shows that have been made for the television?

Well, I suppose there are a few good shows around. The history and discovery channels sometimes have good stuff, and the news is decent when they actually have something worthwhile to report.
Most of the other stuff falls into one or more of these categories though,
1 Melodramatic
2 Plotless
3 Repetitive
4 Unbelievable
5 Reality TV
6 Dull

For example, a soap opera is 1, 3, 4 and sometimes 6. A TV judge show is 1, 2, 3, 5, and often 6.
Those two are really bad, which is why they fall into so many of the categories.
Afaceinthematrix
Liu wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:

Were you old enough in the 70s and 80s to make a comparison? If so many people dislike current entertainment, then there'd definitely be a shift. The general public is what made music what it is today. Sex sells, it's as simple as that.

Quote:

The beat is everything. It's music. On top of that, lyrics take a back seat in club music. You're listening to the beat first when you're dancing, lyrics second. But "since you're not a fan you wouldn't know about the trends but take my word for it."

No I'm not old enough to make the comparison on my own but I've talked to many people who are old enough. And I am a fan of rap music and club music, just not contemporary.
Gonzalo
I believe the early 90s was the best period of time considering products and entertainment. A whole lot of NEW (new in massive market) technologies were brought to the surface. The new concepts of video games, tv series and more all pollished out and made more complete from the late 80īs.

From 1989 to 1993/94 I was happy even watching cartoons, imagination was the common language in products and regular commercialization. After that society just repeated itself and we entered in an era of recicling things.

I mean, pc technology and many things are still going forward, but the concept of "oh, pc innovations" itīs not new. To make people more interested in things, you have to create completely new evolving concepts, not just work old ones up to the boreness.

The big problem is that media IS stable from 1995 ahead in ecconomical therms. So the strategies to make money out of it are not changing and not whiling to change. They sell the same thing repeatedly becouse it works. There is almost no place for taking risks creating new things. And a whole lot of breed was rised, child who were born from 1995/6 up to the date, with that concept on their minds. They donīt ask themselves why something is good, they like it only becouse it is up to date new and resembles things they know from before. Itīs a stability control that wonīt change if something drastically doesnīt happen in the future.
erlendhg
I have some mixed feeling about this. On the one side, I agree, that entertainment has become somewhat "cheaper" and that there is much more non-quality products out there. Especially I hate the way Norwegian "Barne-TV" (the children's TV show on the main TV channel) has developed. When I was little it was really great - now it is dominated by silly people overacting every move.

On the other hand, everything develops, so does the quality side of it Smile
friuser
I don't think it's that entertainment is cheaper or sucks today. The fact is after you watch a few hundred movies or tv shows like I have... everything is either repetive or done before. For example, I was watching kung fu panda which is a pretty good movie but all I could think after the ending is... what a ripoff of silent flute/circle of iron. I really can't say I've seen or read anything original in the last five years. It's probably longer cause I was a huge comic fan 10 years ago and it always comes down to a few basic plots.

It's like watching a M. Night shyamalan movie. It's brutally slow but 10 minutes in and you kinda already figure out the ending.
PatTheGreat42
RIGHT NOW!
Thumpercats
I have to agree with you on this matter. There seems little new stuff that comes out that is actually worth listening too. Heck, even the movies these days seem to be going in the wrong direction. A great example would be the Love Goru..
hlavco
Music: 1970s
Movies: 1990s-2000s
Video Games: Anytime from the NES to modern day. There have been plenty of great games spread out over all the consoles, but I haven't played anything earlier than NES so I can't give a valid opinion on those.
TV: 1990s
Soulfire
I don't really listen to (new) music so much for the lyrics as I do the enticing beats. I like electronica quite a bit now (Daft Punk = amazing!!)

But my favorite era in music, definately the 80s.. We did the musical "Back to the 80s" for my high school and it got me interested.
tony
I am going to go with 2000s for new music; there is so much new stuff out there that is good... you just have to look hard to find it.

yeah, i will keep that answer. i also have a lot of respect for older things too.