FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Learning PHP

BlackroseDigitalDesigns
I am about to embark on a contract that will be highly focused on PHP. Can anyone point me in the right direction where a beginner can learn about php. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Faraz
http://www.w3schools.com/php/default.asp Best for beginners.

Also check out the following thread: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-94486.html

larkanain-hacker has posted lots of php learning links there.

If you have any specific questions about PHP, then feel free to ask me. Smile
BlackroseDigitalDesigns
Thanks a lot for the info. I will be sure to check them out as soon as I find a bit more free time. I will most definitely be making contact when I need some help
osuchin
I really want to learn how to use php. Thanks for the links..
chatrack
Biginner in php, can satisfy his knowledge requirement simply by web search.

Search with key words... php tutorials for beginner in Google, your will end up with lots of
tutorial sites with lots of working examples..... i too have started my php study like that.

What is your way of study?
takashiro
I wonder if there's a Chinese version of PHP Tutorial? I can hardly understand such technical words in English.
flyfamilyguy
BlackroseDigitalDesigns wrote:
I am about to embark on a contract that will be highly focused on PHP. Can anyone point me in the right direction where a beginner can learn about php. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You entered into a contract to design a website, and you don't know PHP when the "focus" will be on PHP? How did you get the contract? If I'm right, you are in trouble my friend! w3schools would be a wise start in your quest for a crash course on PHP. Good Luck!
joharin
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the links here to learn PHP....especially to Faraz and flyfamilyguy.

Do I have to really understand HTML and XHTML first before I can learn PHP? It's not that I do not know anything about HTML, it's just that I don't actually memorize all the commands.

Thanks again folks!
gtoroap
Well, joharin.

It's not necessary understand HTML and XHTML but desireable. And about learning PHP, I recommend a book from Dummies series (PHP and MySQL for Dummies). Internet has a lot of documentation, but almost all scripts are commentless and you only will learn one way to solve a problem, you wont learn the right way.

Bye.
JessieF
flyfamilyguy wrote:
BlackroseDigitalDesigns wrote:

Thanks in advance

You entered into a contract to design a website, and you don't know PHP when the "focus" will be on PHP? How did you get the contract? If I'm right, you are in trouble my friend! w3schools would be a wise start in your quest for a crash course on PHP. Good Luck!

Notice, they said they're about to embark on a contract.
flyfamilyguy
joharin wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for all the links here to learn PHP....especially to Faraz and flyfamilyguy.

Do I have to really understand HTML and XHTML first before I can learn PHP? It's not that I do not know anything about HTML, it's just that I don't actually memorize all the commands.

Thanks again folks!

You are VERY welcome 'joharin'.
The answer is YES! (In my opinion) How can you create a website (which requires experience in HTML) that includes PHP scripting when you know nothing about HTML? You see where I'm going?

I strongly suggest that you utilize w3schools
piygoy
Please read some basic books or ebook in the beginning. After that try to program some easy programs with the help of internet. There are many scripot on the net for beginnires to adwance php users.
flyfamilyguy
Why not download some free webpage templates, and layouts. This way, you can play around with the html, and css in order to get a good understanding of how things work.
akocharry
there's a lot of ways for you to learn php!
im not that good in php but i can say that i understand the basics of php.
internet tutorials are available. w3schools offers a wide variety of basic php syntax and example codes.

start from the basic and traditional, "hello world" from that on, step by step procedure shall be followed
for you to creating a php file.
lfg4ever
I would love to learn what php is about. Is there a good website?
flyfamilyguy
lfg4ever wrote:
I would love to learn what php is about. Is there a good website?

W3schools
lfg4ever
thanks, really nice place to start!
flyfamilyguy
lfg4ever wrote:
thanks, really nice place to start!

You are Welcome, My friend!
lfg4ever
I've tried Joomla which apparently uses php but I'm confused. Looks like a good program tho.
snowboardalliance
A pretty good and in-depth tutorial is covered here:
http://hudzilla.org/phpwiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
That's how I learned and I highly recommend it.
skipsplinter
I am folowing some cursuses php and now it goes almost GOOD but someone knows where to find a php mod? like PHP Fusion ?
nivinjoy
I would love to learn PHP..!! Actually a year before i knew nothing about PHP or what it is...!! Then i started concentrating on phpbb forums and mods..Like that i came into contact with these scripts and s...!!

Even now i don't know much in PHP and i had got many help about PHP related matters from many fellow frihosters..!! I look forward in learning and working on PHP soon...!!
xaogo
curious, why are you contracting services that aren't existent? if you don't know php, don't advertise that you do.
robinhanks
if you master c, you would be quick to learn it.
if you don't, you have a long way to go.
wish you what you want would become true
Drogarush
joharin wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks again folks!

A certain understanding of HTML is a quite big advantage.
Also, if you have any C++ experience, you'll quickly notice that PHP is similar to C++ in some ways, thus, C++ experience being an advantage, but not a necessity.
seanpr84
Your gonna need a server to start if your doing server side scripts like CGI stuff. Best place to start for any computer language is the "hello new world" tutorial. I suggest googling hello new world and PHP. If you dont know HTML you should check out tutorials for that too as its usually used with PHP
GavinJaynes
Thanks for the links guys ... need as much help on PHP as possible
Kelcey
Really a basic tutorial on PHP should get you started. From there, just start coding what you wanna code... then as problems arise, google them.
Afaceinthematrix
Study other scripts. That's how I learned it. I studied what other people had already done. Then try to build your own. It's pretty time consuming to learn.
Tadtoad
As i've seen people above say, go to http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

You can understand the basic programming of most site from there. Then get a book, search amazon.com for a solid book. AND STAY CLEAR OF "X FOR DUMMIES", get something more serious but at the same time will explain to you the most basic techniques.
gcaughill
Hello,

joharin wrote:
Hey guys,

Thanks again folks!

Practice, figure out exactly what you need to do and then find examples of what others have done.

Google will be your best friend. 'how do i....' , 'php code examples'....

And you may want to outsource that code. Writing shoddy PHP for whoever you are working for might backfire on you. Getting someone else to do it (and paying them) will probably end up with a better solution. And watch who you hire. Many people know a little PHP, but that does not make them a good programmer.
hamza1122
as well as www.w3schools.com or www.w3schools.org (i forgot), you can also try going to www.tizag.com. That's where i learn all my html, php and css and flash stuff. IT's very good.