FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FireFox is the best...

gh0stface
for memory usage?

Was looking through slashdot.org at work earlier today and happen to run upon this article: http://dotnetperls.com/Content/Browser-Memory.aspx

Pretty interesting reads as it compares well known browsers such as Safari 3.1, FireFox 3, Flock, Opera 9.5 and IE 8 Beta 1.

Here's a little excerpt from the article:
Quote:
Conclusion

These profiles are meant to provide a picture of what the memory behavior of popular browsers is over a period of time, not to provide absolute benchmark times. Firefox 3.0 shows memory usage that is significantly lower than Firefox 2, which also does very well. Here is a summary of my results.
aningbo
got not much time but whether its memory or not, i prefer firefox over any browsers... firefox rules from top to bottom.

nothing compares with it.
leontius
As technology moves forward, memory issue becomes less and less important. Theoretically, Firefox will still need more memory than other browsers because it is not coded in C but some other higher-level languages (which require a lot of memory for data structures). Firefox is understandably slower than other because of that, but I heard that there is a project to include a JIT in Firefox to make it (and Javascript scripts) faster.

(JIT is a component that can turn slow code from higher-level languages into direct machine language)
Psycho_X52
Memory usage over usability ....
I find Firefox slow, and I'm not talking about pageload. When I browse many sites at once (which I usually do) I do it quicker and easier with Opera (9.27...9.5 begins to behave like Firefox). Even though Firefox 3 uses less memory, I'll stick to Opera for Windows and Firefox (2.0) for Linux.
Sphaerenkern
I used Camino for quite long because I don't like the interface of Safari (looks quite ugly - and it's the standard browser for Mac!). Camino is a Mozilla project and uses the Gecko Engine, but the native Cocoa-Framework of Mac OS.
As Opera 9.5 and Firefox 3 came out, I tested both of them. This thread is 'bout Firefox, so I just write my opinion about that Wink
Firefox 3 is very, VERY user-friendly in my opinion. I didn't install any plugins, not even Adblock, and didn't change anything on the theme - and I like it.
Now to the RAM usage. While Safari eats much, much RAM on the Mac, it also gives it free when other software needs it - on a Mac. It's very, very fast. But hey, it also crashes from time to time and it takes some time till the RAM is given free, so it's still a memory problem.
Firefox 3 uses 100-120 MB RAM after a few tabs. That's much for a browser, and that's at least double as much as Camino uses - while Camino is faster because it's running natively. Don't tell me that Firefox 3 for Mac uses Cocoa - better read that instead.
But hey - I have 1 GB RAM and I don't use that much RAM usually. If I run some Linux-Distribution virtually, I shut down my browser anyway because I want every bit of RAM. So with Firefox, I still have 100 MB RAM free usually.
And that's the 100 MB that would be away if I used Thunderbird instead of Apple Mail. And that's, btw, why I sticked with Apple Mail at the end...
jwellsy
I prefer Opera.
It seems to run much faster for me.
tony
I like Firefox; I use it frequently, but I also understand that it has its faults. One of these is bulkiness. The JIT thing sounds cool; I'd never heard of that before. That sounds like a pretty cool thing.
GavinJaynes
Firefox is by far the best browser - the addons alone make it that much of a better browsing experience.
dude_xyx
FireFox 3 is not at its best yet. Also still most of useful plugins are not compatible.
Studio Madcrow
Memory usage optimization is MUCH less important than it used to be, but its still nice to see Firefox improving its memory usage.
Flakky
Firefox 3 got more memory fixes and has a lot of tricks to increase memory. What you should try is to open 20 websites, all in a tab, open your taskmgr.exe and see the RAM usage by Firefox, then minimize the Firefox window and you see the RAM getting lower. Or it is enabled by some switch or this function is turned on by default.

I always have problems with my memory when Firefox is open at the same time as I was playing a resource intensive game. I definitely see the improvements.
fay_ela
firefox is the best
tkoh
Firefox is very good browser, the last version (3.0.1) is much more faster than any another Browser released until now, and have a nice look, and a nice function to recover all pages opened when you close firefox, that make him the best until now.. but lets see the new releases of all anothers browsers...
welshsteve
I have been an user of Firefox since it was called Firebird. I am a big fan of it, and the extensions just add to the experience. However, it's memory usage is very high, and it did have major memory leak issues in version 2. Version 3 is slightly better, although on my machine at least it has been prone to crashes. For the first few weeks I used it, it crashed AT LEAST 10 times a day. It's not so bad now. And I think the main fault was the extensions. I have trimmed down the extensions I use to only a handful now and it works much better.

Opera is a great browser as well, with some extensions available. Very clean interface.

If you are a heavy user of social networking sites such as Facebook, MySpace, Flickr etc, then Flock is a good browser for you as well. It's built around the Firefox engine and the interface will be very familiar to Firefox users.

Avoid Safari like the plague. It's not very good at all in my opinion, plus you'll get Apple constantly asking if you want to install iTunes and Quicktime.

IE7 is a massive improvement over IE6, but I still wouldn't recommend it as your main browser.
odonnellb
yeah i love ffox, but the new opera is cleaner to me, and takes up less memory
twin_sound
i prefer opera
rajupp
guys... did anyone try out ORCA browser or FLOCK browser? Both are based on firefox 3, but visually enhanced and slightly modified for better performance and better features. Try them out once.

FLOCK has recently released GLOSS edition of their browser, which looks stunning!!
Jmanamj
I'm a happy Firefox user. I barely use anything else, but sometimes I'm forced to use IE for some special site, and then everything just feels...less. Not to mention the lack of adblockplus, which can be overwhelming if you're used to a nearly ad-free browsing experience.

The addons are definitely a great feature, and can be very useful. I have, in addition to adblock...

Dogears, which lets you shift+click markers onto long pages for later reference,

Easy gestures, which lets you middleclick to a little navigation menu,

Reminder fox, which is self explanatory,

Flagfox, which lets you see what country the website is in,

Piclens, which is an awesome 3D picture wall that works with google, flickr, devianart, etc.,

Stumbleupon, which brings up random popular sites based on your preferences,

and a download status bar that eliminates that annoying popup window and replaces in with a discrete bar at the bottom of the screen.

As you can see, there's tons of room to customize.
welshsteve
rajupp wrote:
guys... did anyone try out ORCA browser or FLOCK browser? Both are based on firefox 3, but visually enhanced and slightly modified for better performance and better features. Try them out once.

FLOCK has recently released GLOSS edition of their browser, which looks stunning!!

I've used Flock. It's very similar to Firefox. It's mainly for use with social networking sites.
ProfessorY91
Opera.

First they laugh at you, then they shun you, and finally they deny your existance, all the while stealing your ideas. Smile
Josso

Anyway, in all honesty yeah it's flexible and fast - one of the best browsers I've used. Interestingly enough I always used to use IE because I took the approach "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Well... when IE7 came out it became broken. I used to get crashes and slowness on my setup so I convered to Firefox.
phpc0d3r
Crazy amount of browsers installed on my computer:
IE5.5, IE6, IE7, IE8 Beta 1, Firefox 3, Flock, Safari, Opera

One I use 99.9% of the time:
Firefox 3

(I should mention that I too have been using it since the Pheonix/Firebird days)
dude_xyx
They have improved bookmark process. It used to crash when you have too many bookmarks in your list in firefox 2.x. Now it works nicely.
Agent ME
I use Linux mostly, and I try to support GPL/open source software, so by that alone I would use Firefox, but it also is a terrific browser. It's much more straightforward to configure than IE7 and seems to be more responsive too. (The biggest thing I noticed when I changed to firefox from IE [maybe they've changed this in IE now] was that if I clicked one link, but then changed my mind and clicked a different link before the next page loaded, it would correctly bring me to the last link I clicked.)

I also love that I can keep Firefox portably on my flashdrive, keeping my passwords, bookmarks, and history with me and not leaving data behind on the computer I've used.
snowynight
I used to use ff. But i don't now. Why? I don't know. NO reason is good reason.
filemonq
firefox 3 is good browser
kansloos
welshsteve wrote:

Opera is a great browser as well, with some extensions available. Very clean interface.

The flash plugin doesn't work smoothly with opera (at least not on my comp). Movies tend to stutter a lot. And I have some difficulties printing certain webpages with opera. Therefore I prefer Firefox
shijiang1130
gh0stface wrote:
for memory usage?

Was looking through slashdot.org at work earlier today and happen to run upon this article: http://dotnetperls.com/Content/Browser-Memory.aspx

Pretty interesting reads as it compares well known browsers such as Safari 3.1, FireFox 3, Flock, Opera 9.5 and IE 8 Beta 1.

Here's a little excerpt from the article:
Quote:
Conclusion

These profiles are meant to provide a picture of what the memory behavior of popular browsers is over a period of time, not to provide absolute benchmark times. Firefox 3.0 shows memory usage that is significantly lower than Firefox 2, which also does very well. Here is a summary of my results.

i use it just for testing, i would to say the previous vesion is better
harismushtaq
I don't know if you really have ever developed components for firefox. My experiance say that firefox is too complex a code and component development is also difficult. It was better if firefox (mozilla) would have simplified the currect complexity of the code structure. Never the less this happens in open source projects but my work has become pretty difficult with this.
realtrue
I think Opera is faster than Firefox, eventhough I installed both browsers, mostly I use Opera. Firefox will be slower if some addons are installed. Opera is also more stable in my opinion. But most of website, Firefox is better than Opera, because Opera sometime can not open the website properly.
cvkien
yeah. firefox always bring me good stuff. never think of change to others. before i start using firefox, i never this satisfy with the browser. for me, firefox better than everything. but there is still improvement.
xtranophilist
Yes, Firefox is the best.
IE comes nowhere near it.
Opera is good though. Its faster than firefox.
But customized and highly tweaked firefox is no lesser faster than Opera.
Addicted to firefox.
There's no internet for me if there's no firefox.