FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I start an on-line radio?

ciureanuc
Hey,

I see many radio stations on-line... how hard is to start something like this?
I have experience in electronics, when I was in high-school (1995) I started a school radio (including hardware acquisition and installing) but now... how can I start a radio over the web?
Do I need a server, a routable IP (I don't know if I wrote correct), a domain?

What exactly this job require?

Can you help me?

Tx!
bulek
You can start with shoutcast, it's good for beginners.
http://yp.shoutcast.com/download/
mehulved
+1 for shoutcast. Should help you atleast get started, after that it should be easier for you to catch up further considering you prior experience.
Psycho_X52
Shoutcast is pretty easy to use and you can embed into your website.

Does anyone knows any software free where I could fade microphone-music. Like the real radio, when the speaker turns the music down and starts speaking with musing in the background. I know Winamp has this feature, but if I use my SoundCard Input the quality is low. If I use Winamp source and change it to Soundcard input just to talk it will create a gap of 10-30 seconds, because Winamp delayes just in case of lag.
Diablosblizz
Psycho_X52 wrote:
Does anyone knows any software free where I could fade microphone-music. Like the real radio, when the speaker turns the music down and starts speaking with musing in the background. I know Winamp has this feature, but if I use my SoundCard Input the quality is low. If I use Winamp source and change it to Soundcard input just to talk it will create a gap of 10-30 seconds, because Winamp delayes just in case of lag.

There is a program called Sam Broadcaster that does this. Although, it is not free. It works perfectly with Shoutcast.
Psycho_X52
SAM is indeed a professional broadcasting tool, but I was wondering if there is something free that allowes you to fade mic -> music ; music -> mic .
aningbo
another radio on the way.... good luck and enjoy. some of my friends uses SAM and its "okay"... never got the time to spend on radio on the net lol. good luck
positive_vibes
Almost all "LIVE" internet radio feeds of major FM networks are done with embedded WMP and on-the-fly digital conversion to mp3 and asx playlist files as far as I know. The players they use are encrypted somehow to not allow users access directly to the asx and mp3 files for download. I imagine the software they use is pretty expensive. If would like to mimic a radio station rather than have it "LIVE" (which isn't really as the on-the-fly conversion is lacking on most networks), You can simply upload your mp3 formatted songs, ads, guest spots, and anything else you might want to a host. Then make/upload asx playlists to be run with embedded WMP. To my knowledge that is how the pros do it. However it might be much easier to do as other members have suggested and just go with Shoutcast.
tsuvik
You can try you hand at Mediamaster. Here you can choose which songs you want and upload it to the server. It then streams the whole set of songs without a break in a loop. I use it as the radio everywhere.
URL: http://www.mediamaster.com
swizzy
You could stream VLC by setting it up as a media server..
Craeft
I use Shoutcast for mine and I like it. It's basic enough that the average user can figure it out... but you can get into the code and get down and dirty if you want to.