FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

boss stealin my ideas

qedesigns
hi, i work in a fairly architectural firm i have to go thru a "smaller boss" to get to the "main boss" to submit my design proposals cos protocols are strictly adhered to. i discovered that my small boss screens my ideas for a project and then they resurface in his proposals of other projects-nicely modified and i have to admit lookin very very nice. now i have to think twice as hard to design and i still havent found a way to get to d big boss without going thru me. plus he keeps me occupied wit assignments so that i dont get assigned to someone else!!!

so... any advice?
Bikerman
This is a common problem. Essentially you have two choices - put up with it or do something about it.
There is a view that your (small) boss is doing nothing wrong. You work under him and it is his responsibility to liase/interface with HIS boss. I would say he is being a bit dishonest if he does not acknowledge your contribution, but that would depend on the ethos within the organisation.
My advice would be to live with it. Your (small) boss must know your value if he uses your proposals. Your (big) boss may not care or know about your contribution but, equally, he may not care - he trusts your (small) boss to get the job done. You will normally, however, find that senior managers are not idiots and I would be surprised if your (big) boss does not already have a handle on things.
qedesigns
i hear wht u r sayin. its just really discouragin. i almost dont want to give 100%. maybe i can call in sick and show up at d last minute wit me new "improved" ideas Wink that way he wont have time to screen them n i can present them.
Bikerman
qedesigns wrote:
i hear wht u r sayin. its just really discouragin. i almost dont want to give 100%. maybe i can call in sick and show up at d last minute wit me new "improved" ideas Wink that way he wont have time to screen them n i can present them.
No, that is the worst thing you can do - cutting off your nose to spite your face. My prediction is that your (big) boss would support your (small) boss all the way. I would, if I was in that position. Of course I would reform my opinion of the person and would possibly bollock him/her in private later.
One of the things that you have to learn about operating in a hierarchy is that the best boss is one who supports you in public and bollocks you in private. A second thing to remember is that nobody is irreplacable.
The best thing you can do is do your job well - give it 100% - and give it time. If the situation does not change in a year or more then you should think about moving. Bullshit managers (if your small boss is in fact such a one) eventually get found out and moved/replaced. Honesty and integrity is always the best policy and it will nearly always be noticed.
qedesigns
Dammit!!!...lol. i really hope things get better though. i have this oppuortunity to actually watch my 2d designs manifest into reality and he's just takin all the glory. he recently completed a very interestin project and i think he's still enjoyin the status. thanks though
webpagist81884
Is ur "smaller boss" Indian, lol, cause my I had Indian boss in the past that would always take my credit. Well in anyways, ur best to confront him or just find another way. Personal experience here.