FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Castro: U.S. hasn't responded to Katrina offer

Che
This article was originally taken from cnn.com
Quote:
--------------------------
HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro told more than 1,500 doctors Sunday night that American officials had made "absolutely no response" to his offer to send them to the U.S. Gulf Coast to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Castro, a longtime adversary of the United States, initially offered to send 1,100 doctors and at least 26 tons of supplies and equipment, but the Communist leader announced Sunday during a televised speech that he had increased the number of physicians to 1,586. Each doctor would carry about 27 pounds of medicine.

"You could all be there right now lending your services, but 48 hours have passed since we made this offer, and we have received absolutely no response," Castro said at Havana's Palace of the Revolution.

"We continue to wait patiently for a response. In the meantime, all of you will be taking intensive courses in immunology and also something that I should be doing -- an intensive brush-up course in English."

Besides Cuba, several other countries and international agencies have offered money and supplies to the hurricane victims. (Full story)

In the past, Cuba has refused U.S. offers of aid, the most recent following Hurricane Dennis. That storm killed more than 10 people in the Caribbean island nation in July.

At that time, Castro said he would not accept help from Washington because of the U.S. trade embargo against his country. The United States has no diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Castro has named the Cuban rescue team the Henry Reeve Brigade in honor of an American who fought with Cuba's rebel forces during the Cuban War of Independence against Spain that began in 1895.

The doctors who have been mobilized went to South Asia after the December tsunami and have worked in other disasters.
gonzo
Did you miss this one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+copy+paste+for+more+effective+spamming&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
tidruG
Che, the next time you quote in this forum, please use the Quote tags to paste your article, and also, after the articel is done, please post your own opinions and provide a link to the source of the article outside of the quotes. Thank you.

@gonzo, this I suppose may be his first new topic in the World News forum... I don't approve of posting without the quotes, but perhaps a little leniency considering it could be his first post in the DWN forum? Your views on the topic would also be welcomed.

As for the article, if it is true, it makes me wonder why Bush has declined an offer to get some more doctors, when clearly more doctors are needed? Sure, the US has a lot of money... but it needs doctors right now, methinks.
gonzo
tidruG wrote:
perhaps a little leniency considering it could be his first post in the DWN forum? Your views on the topic would also be welcomed.
wow am I being culled for an upcoming moderator slot?

Quote:
needs doctors right now, methinks.
I'd much rather have an American trained doctor operate on me than one who "earned" his license in a third world country. Who would you rather have operate on your mom?
tidruG
gonzo wrote:

Not that I know of... don't get excited Razz

gonzo wrote:

Quote:
needs doctors right now, methinks.
I'd much rather have an American trained doctor operate on me than one who "earned" his license in a third world country. Who would you rather have operate on your mom?

I would trust a trained doctor...You can't say that all doctors that walk out of Developed countries' medical institutes are all geniuses. And some of the doctors could have helped with the basic stuff, even if you didn't want them to do any operations or stuff like that... For a fact, I trust Indian (which you probably claim to be third-world) doctors more than American ones... especially since someone I know who's settled in the US and has been living there for the past 3 decades makes his annual trip to India only to get all his medical tests done here.

PS: Once again, I'm reminded of a post by a Junior Admin on this site about how Americans generally dismiss most other countries as third world countries and don't respect the views of "foreigners" as being equal to theirs.... hmm.... Confused
gonzo
tidruG wrote:
gonzo wrote:

No worries I forgot to italisize 'wow'. Rolling Eyes

tidruG wrote:
You can't say that all doctors that walk out of Developed countries' medical institutes are all geniuses.
it's a good thing I didn't then, huh? Wink

Quote:
And some of the doctors could have helped with the basic stuff,
so can people off the street or EMTs.

Quote:
how Americans generally dismiss most other countries as third world countries
No, I was being dismissive OF third world countries medical "education" system, and NOT tagging all non-American countries as third-world. I also like distinctions. Smile

Quote:
as being equal to theirs.... hmm.... Confused

NOT all opinions are equal. Many are flat out wrong.

Cool
tidruG
gonzo wrote:
tidruG wrote:
You can't say that all doctors that walk out of Developed countries' medical institutes are all geniuses.
it's a good thing I didn't then, huh? Wink

Basically, isn't that what you meant in a very broad sense?
gonzo wrote:
I'd much rather have an American trained doctor operate on me than one who "earned" his license in a third world country.

Any American doctor? Even the one that barely scraped through or got pass marks for sleeping with the lecturer? (Oh now, don't tell me it doesn't happen)

gonzo wrote:
Quote:
And some of the doctors could have helped with the basic stuff,
so can people off the street or EMTs.
EMTs are fine... but you'd like the hot-dog seller from across the street to administer first aid to your mom? Someone who doesn't know the difference between band-aid and cotton-wool? That's interesting

gonzo wrote:
Quote:

Cool

Yes, perhaps... however, every person has a right to decide which opinion they think is right and which one is wrong. And as long as you're not forcing your opinions on anyone else, I don't see anything wrong with that, do you? However, most/all of your recent posts have been trashing other people or their opinions... it's getting a little annoying.
gonzo
tidruG wrote:
Any American doctor? Even the one that barely scraped through or got pass marks for sleeping with the lecturer? (Oh now, don't tell me it doesn't happen)

Cool! You have access to that information? I'd always thought it'd be great to require doctors to post their respective GPAs, but wow you have the inside track.

Quote:
gonzo wrote:
Quote:

Cool

Yes, perhaps...

What do you mean 'perhaps'? An assertion cannot both be true and not-true at the same time and in the same respect.

Quote:
every person has a right to decide which opinion they think is right and which one is wrong.
Sure each person is capable of evaluating the truth or falsity of a statement. However the simple act of choice ought not be confused with justification. Choosing to believe 'X=y' does not EFFECT 'X=y' a true statement.

Quote:
And as long as you're not forcing your opinions on anyone else
If by that you mean I cannot will someone else's will then you are correct.

Quote:
However, most/all of your recent posts have been trashing other people or their opinions... it's getting a little annoying.

So I should silently give assent? Or not challenge the validity of other's opinions? If my ideology requires me to have zero tolerance for evil, are you not "forcing" your opinion on me by suggesting I not challenge wrong opinion? How ought one resolve such conflicts of ideology? (given the prior law of Non Contradiction)

Liberalism sometimes pushes my buttons. Maybe now I'm a bit hostile. So I'll just embrace the peace offering of Bondings Smile and call it a night and pray that tomorrow is cheerier.
tidruG
gonzo wrote:
So I should silently give assent? Or not challenge the validity of other's opinions? If my ideology requires me to have zero tolerance for evil, are you not "forcing" your opinion on me by suggesting I not challenge wrong opinion? How ought one resolve such conflicts of ideology? (given the prior law of Non Contradiction)

No, the whole point of a forum is to discuss and argue... however, it's meant to be done in a proper manner. We don't have to go around blasting others' opinions for the sake of argument, and calling them names.

I definitely do not mind you arguing, but please be a little less rude when you do it...
Che
tidruG wrote:
Che, the next time you quote in this forum, please use the Quote tags to paste your article, and also, after the articel is done, please post your own opinions and provide a link to the source of the article outside of the quotes. Thank you.

Sorry about that tidruG, it won’t happen again, now I'd love to get on the topic right away. I feel that I've missed a lot.

Now gonzo... your post about third country doctors brought a smile to my face... Let me tell you from my personal experience. I was raised in Cuba where any kind of medical treatment is gratuitous, as well as higher level education and my father who now lives here in the US is a doctor graduate from Cuba. I must say that I never had a complain from a Cuban doctors, because more than doctors, they were artists who perused their job because they loved it.
Although, Cuba is considered a 3th world country, I must say that its doctors are internationally recognized. I don't think that economy is necessarily tied to the level of education of a nation. Cuba has also assisted other countries by sending doctors as well when needed. Now, outside of trying to uselessly trying to prove the quality behind Cuban doctors, is the united states currently in the state of choosing what help to take? Come on, there is still people being rescued, thousands of ills; why wouldn’t you take the assistance of a country who is asking nothing than just save lives.

It’s not a time to attach human thoughts to international issues but rather than that, it’s a time to save lives.
Che
If the medical quality of Cuban doctors is still a concern, you may read a seminar overview that took place in Harvard University regarding Cuban Public Health, thus their doctors.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~drclas/regions/cubatxt/Events/health.html
RosenCruz
I cant understand why US rejects this offer...their citizens are dying,suffering and Mr President watches this miseary...thats really awful..
soilgrain
I think if the US show that they need help from Cuba by accepting this offer, they may be seen as "weak" by other nations. Bush is scared of being "seen" as weak, because he doesnt want anyone to find out he really is weak.
Bashur
soilgrain wrote:
I think if the US show that they need help from Cuba by accepting this offer, they may be seen as "weak" by other nations. Bush is scared of being "seen" as weak, because he doesnt want anyone to find out he really is weak.

Ahem, low blow, and I take extream offense to that. Please note that it is your opinion.

Anyways, I wouldn't trust 'em. This could be a ploy to finaly get onto U.S. soil without conflict. It's obvious that many would love to use a tragity to there advantage over there foes...last I checked, we were a foe.
n0obie4life
tidruG wrote:
gonzo wrote:

ssssh!! we should not bring our secret discussion out!
Che
Bashur wrote:
Anyways, I wouldn't trust 'em. This could be a ploy to finaly get onto U.S. soil without conflict. It's obvious that many would love to use a tragity to there advantage over there foes...last I checked, we were a foe.

Hmm, well I don't know if you are informed, but thousands of cubans get in US soil without conflict every year... Further more, wouldn't you like a couple hundreds of doctors added to your American society? Maybe yes, maybe not...
As previously said, is it really a time to pick which assistance to use, or to rather than worrying for international political or population matters, Save Lives!
hofer
gonzo wrote:
Who would you rather have operate on your mom

Anyone, Cuban doctors are as good as american doctors, maybe better, and the Public Health system of Cuba is definitely better than US system.

*I'm not Cuban
RosenCruz
that really was a terrible disaster and not only US all the nations of the world could stay weak..so the best thing 2 do is accepting all possible help offers..
NG
dudes Confused