FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Network Security?

Dakafall
If someone wanted to advance in the field of network security and start being hired by companies to test theirs, where would one start?
Bikerman
Dakafall wrote:
If someone wanted to advance in the field of network security and start being hired by companies to test theirs, where would one start?
Depends on what your current qualifications are. If you have none then you'll need to look at junior network admin jobs. If you have experience then you could look at network management/system management junior roles. If you have experience and training (preferrably Cisco CCIE or CCIA) then you could look for more senior network and system management roles.
There are lots of stories of hackers being employed to test firms security but most of those are folklore - it does happen, but very infrequently and normally only when you have ethically compromised (ie hacked but not damaged) a system which was thought to be secure.

(I speak with experience - one of my roles has been system manager for Corning)...
Dakafall
Thanks for your reply!

Im planning on going all the way through collage with network security. Computers have been my passion for a very long time and what better way to extend my passion then to make them secure Smile
Bikerman
Well you will want to look at courses in IT/Computing that have a strong networking element. Specifically you will want to be looking at network protocols (particularly TCP/IP) and firewall technologies, as well as cryptography.
Dakafall
I am planning on going to a collage near where I live that offers network security as a class, so I am for sure taking that. I will just have to find out what else I want to fill my schedule with.
bigt
Dakafall wrote:

All of the above and especially a product cert. like CCNA. I am looking at the different certs right now. CISSP looks good, but it requires previous experience and you're trying to 'get your foot in the door'. Work on your schooling, do good work, READ READ READ, and someone is going to hire you.