FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i'm tryin to get bigger....

qedesigns
....i'm 24 and i look 17. its annoyin. i just need to add just a little more weight. i'm sick of eatin junk food cos its not workin..lol
Bikerman
qedesigns wrote:
....i'm 24 and i look 17. its annoyin. i just need to add just a little more weight. i'm sick of eatin junk food cos its not workin..lol

LOL...make the best of it. I'm 47 and look 47...it would be nice to look and feel 17 again Smile
deanhills
qedesigns wrote:

I can imagine it must be very annoying. Possibly if you started to work out in a gymnasium it could help. I know a friend who had the same shape you describe at the same age. He felt like a wimp. He then started a serious programme at a gymnasium and started to enjoy it so much that he went the other way. He became muscle man. The ones with all the biceps. Until that started to annoy him as well as it meant very long work-outs and continuous eating of very large meals. He then started to cut back the muscle building and moved to martial arts, although kept the basics of going to gymnasium, he never gave up on that. The intense periods in the gymnasium served him very well for the rest of his life in keeping fit. Made the martial arts easier. He is still working out in the gymnasium now over more than thirty years and looks in perfect shape. If you see him you would never imagine that he could ever have looked as wiry and anaemic at 24 as he had. He showed me his photos. There is no comparison.

Think there was a dude who said that everything your mind can conceive you can achieve. For physical transformation the tools are exercise and good food in combination with one another. And it is never a one-off event. It works as a process. Gradually over time. You just have to conceive it first, the rest is up to you. Try and find a very good quality gymnasium where you are most likely to find top work out people in. As that is what helped my friend too. He found a good role model who could help him with building his physique. He also made a friend for life who motivated and inspired him. His whole life and attitude changed after that.
gh0stface
qedesigns wrote:

Well, if you're trying to add weight, eating junk food is the wrong way to go.

Start hitting the weights at a gym and start eating better. Muscle is a lot more denser then fat. Plus, you'll start feeling better and have a better toned body then a fat riddled body.

If you really want to bulk up, hit the weights hard and increase your caloric intake, but at the same time eat healthy.
Drawingguy
Yeah, as it was said, getting fatter isn't really going to make you more 'mature' or attractive, or whatever you're looking for. But if you really want to change your apperance, and become healthier, you have to ask yourself if you have the discipline that it takes to do so. Because improving your body isn't something that comes with monthly visits to the gym- you need to go there regularly, and by regularly, I mean something close to about three times a week.

But don't try to just eat junk food, in the hopes that you'll 'gain weight,' as you'll often hear bodybuilders hoping to do. What they mean, and what you mean, by weight, are two different things- they try to get muscle, and that comes from eating lean, healthy foods, with high protein counts.
driftingfe3s
Lifting weights is the best way to go. Make sure you eat enough protein as well. It takes a while to gain mass but its worth it.

Currently I try to get to the gym 3 times a week, you should make a routine for youself as well and just stick to it.
odonnellb
go to www.bodybuilding.com i know it sounds intimidating, but they are very resourceful.
start taking protein, and goign to the gym, but most importantly EAT EAT EAT
if you want to gain weight, you have to expand your appetite!!!

b
ddoonie
Eating is your only option. You can work out as much as you want, but if you maintain your same diet, you'll just get 'ripped', and not gain mass... Increase your caloric intake, and work out. Ensure you take in more than you burn.
burntup56
Definitely try to hit the gym. I had a friend who coming out of high school had the same problem, he was skinny as shit and looked like he was 15 but he started working out with me gradually changed his diet and actually grew out his hair and he actually looks his age now haha. Of course this is two and a half years after so it definitely takes time to change your image.
takashiro
Bigger?? You mean fatter? Or Stronger? Hummm.. You should take excercise instead of eating junk food. You will find yourself able to eat more than you did. Very Happy
HamsterMan
Weight itself is not a good way to tell ones health, but eating tons of junkfood is the absolutely worst way to gain weight. The reason why so many overweight people are unhealthy is because of the food they eat, margarine and transfats (Which have been linked to diabetes), salted snacks with god knows what in them and tons of other unnatural additives. And yes, some of these things might actually make you fat as well as unhealthy.

As others said, hit the gym. But don't do it because you think you NEED to be a certain weight to be fit and healthy.
mikakiev
Lift a lot,sleep a lot and eat a lot.That's the way.
Ghost Rider103
Like said before, if you want to gain weight, junk food is actually the wrong way to go by the sound of your matbolism.

Lots and lots of protein will solve this problem, and hitting the weight room would be an excellent idea. Eat lots of clean meats, like chicken, steak. Also sea food is excellent source of protein. Shrimp, tuna, etc. Shrimp is excellent, but it is a lot more expensive. Tuna is good on like sandwhiches and stuff, but it does get old. Cottage cheese, nuts, peanut butter, eggs, etc. are the kind of things you need to be eating.

Hope this helps on what to eat. Stay away from boxed and bagged food. Like TV dinners, chips, etc.

Good luck.
Guelila
Im also trying to gain both body mass and muscles by eating more.
However, the more I eat, I seem to lose weight.
It's really strange and annoying.
And even though I want to increase my food intake, I get full to easily
Confused
winmark
Even i have the same problem and it's so hard to follow a healthy diet plan when you are not used to eating a lot. I have not been able to do so for the past two years Sad
nigam
eat the right kind of foods, get up early and have some exercise and drink vitamins! I think this could help...stop eating junkfoods, they are not healthy.
BigGeek
One of the other posts suggested www.bodybuilding.com, great site!

May I also add for your lifting and muscle gaining endeavors try reading the articles on www.t-nation.com, one of the best body building sites out there!

Real quick, junk food is crap, it will only screw you up, find and watch the show "Super Size Me" it will freak you out. They guy tried to eat nothing but McDonalds for a whole month with doctor supervision. Didn't make it, his freakin' liver started to get toxic Shocked

Basically here is the formula

Between 1 to 2 grams of protien per pound of body weight, for the thinner guys like yourslef go with the 2 gram mark, so if you weigh 120 lbs. that's 240 grams of protein a day. If you think you are eating a lot, think again, I gurantee you are not!

Next you'll want to basically double the number of grams of protein to arrive at your carbohydrate intake. so about 2 to 4 grams of carbs per pound of body weight, and these need to be healthy carbs, fruits, veggies, whole gran breads and cereals.

Next plenty of good fats, try taking between 10 to 30 grams of quality fish oil a day and use olive oil and coconut oil liberally.

NO SOY, stay away from the stuff loaded with phyto estrogens, bad for your testoterone levels!

As far as figuring you calorie intake goes, write down everything you eat each day for a week and see if you gain or loose any weight. If your weight stays the same, you have established your base intake, the intake that will keep your body weight stable. Now add 500 calories to it, take your protein intake and divide it into six portions and eat quality protiens with every meal and eat every 3 to 4 hours through out the day. Include veggies and or fruit with each meal, and some carbs with each as well. Save your sugary carbs and consume them right after your workouts.

As far as workouts go, if you are spending more than an hour each time you lift you are spending too much time doing it. 45 minutes to an hour is all you need. Unless you are well developed and have 17 to 18 inch arms 25 to 26 inch thighs, and a 50 inch or better chest you are wasting your time with isolation exercises like curls and tricep presses, lateral raises and the rest. Stick to barbell basics, deadlifts, squats, bench presses, push ups, dips, pullups, chinups, rows, military presses and the like. They are referred to as compound exercises, the biggest bang for the buck, fire off the most number of muscle fibres with the least amount of movement. If you think you need curls for you biceps, look at gymnists, they have huge biceps and I bet none of them do curls, all pull ups and chin ups. Sticking to the bascis rotating your exercises every two weeks and eating plenty of quality good foods will put muscle and size on you.

Plenty of similar advice to what I've written here on t-nation and bodybuilding.com.

Once you start, and get this sort of lifestyle down, you will never ever regret it. It will be one of the best things that you have ever done for yourself!!
Bikerman
Well, I don't normally endorse 'health' advice given on these forums (since I am wary of offering or accepting advice from anonymous sources).
I would say, however, that the previous posting from BigGeek appears to me to be excellent advice.
Certainly the idea of establishing a base intake is very sound, as is the suggestion for lots of unsaturated fat (fish oils), though I am not sure that 30g would be necessary - I would start with the lower figure (10g). Fish oil is good for several reasons - it has been shown to be good for brain function & reducing heart disease, and helpful with arthritic and rheumatic joint pains.*

* One thing to be aware of is that consuming a large amount of fish-oils daily will reduce the amount of vitamin E in the bloodstream. You may wish to consider a vitamin E supplement or consider eating a reasonable quantity of almonds/asparagus/avocado/olives which all have high vitamin E levels....
mikakiev
You can also use growth hormone like jintropine,if you really wanna get big at any cost and if you dont care about the side effects.
flyfamilyguy
qedesigns wrote:

I was a novice body-builder for 6 years (until I injured my shoulders. That's another story); meaning that I did not compete. I did it to look my best, and be healthy. Everyone is genetically different; what works for one may not work for another, but a basic principle to follow that seems to work for everyone when you are trying to get bigger in a healthy way is Protein, Carbohydrates and weight lifting.
It seems that you have a fast metabolism; that's a good thing! Eat three to four times a day (even more if you can), but NOT JUNK! Get your protein, and carbs whenever possible; carbohydrates are great for energy, so eat a lot of fruits or other carbs before you hit the weights. The protein, and weight lifting will build good body mass; meaning muscle, not fat.

Remember, if you want to stay healthy your size needs to come from muscle mass not fat.
Get off the junk food!!
mikakiev
Humangrowth hormone +boldenone can make people really big.But I WOULD NOT SUGGEST you to do it.Just lift,sleep and eat alot and everything will be OK.Avoid easy carbs like Junk food,get carbs from grains(Wheat,buckwheat) rather than from chocolate and white bread.
furtasacra
qedesigns wrote:

Are you out of your damn mind? Don't try to artificially age yourself, just look how you look and smile sweetly and count your blessings when you get carded at clubs. I had the same problem when I was 24. Now I'm 42 and people think I'm 28.