FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is it wise to start off ur business right out of college....

qedesigns
.....assuming u have the funds , textbook knowledge and little practical experience
maryamahmed
The answer to this question really depends on what type of business you are planning on starting.

There are tons of companies and businesses started each year by students at all levels, for example, see http://www.sbe.gov.on.ca/ontcan/sbe/en/youth_summerco_en.jsp.

Having said that, no matter what industry you're in, having experience never hurts, and in my opinion, always comes in handy with knowing how to compete with other companies in the same industry. So working for a while can really open a person's eyes in terms of exposure, and in the end, help us to develop better products.

Good luck on your quest!
flyfamilyguy
qedesigns wrote:
.....assuming u have the funds , textbook knowledge and little practical experience

Why not? I think it would be prudent to start slowly. this way, mistakes can be overcome, and learned from without any significant financial damage.
I started building and selling custom artists easels out of my garage online. When I realized profits, and found that this was something that works, I opened a wholesale/retail shop in my local community. I started selling my easels in bulk quantities to University art departments, as well as to the local artsy-fartsy groups in my area. This is not something that I do anymore, but
I say GO-FOR-IT!
razhan
yea.. doing business is not easy if you dont know the 'know how'... i think network marketing is the best solution if you want to jump to business line right after school... you can learn while you build up your business.. even if you fail, you wont fall dramaticily as the low start up... or you can try to do online marketing or business... it is also low cost and you have a lot of averages..
deanhills
qedesigns wrote:

I would say "go for it"! The more you think about it, the more reasons you will find not to start the business yet. It is like buying a car. There will always be people who think the car you want to buy is not a good idea, and others who think it is a great idea. All up to you. If you are passionate about a business, and have the money, throw yourself into it. Thinking too much about it is not going to make it happen Smile
DreamWorld
well...the sooner the better! If you taste the corporate world it is very hard to come to come back...you know you have a steady income, you will get married have children...have much more responsabilities...so THE SOONER THE BETTER!!!
flyfamilyguy
E-commerce is a wonderful thing! I payed for nothing but materials. I had no overhead expenses, because I was willing to do the work myself. (in fact, it was a joy)! Working at home, listening to my music with a beer or two, and making money. It was a great feeling! Will definitely do it again.
jmlworld
Of course you can start, but as the above posters said, it depends the heaviness of the business you start, the business type and the people involved.

However, there is no BIG challenge! You've already seen many entrepreneur youngsters. Very Happy
thetinyclam
Like what other posters said, it depends on the business and the market. I mean if your family has been in the restaurant business for 2 decades and you want to start a small cafe, go for it. But if you're about to enter a competitive market with little experience, you'll probably end up losing lots of money and gaining experience the hard way. If I were you, I'd get a job in the prospective field first and see just how demanding it is, then after a year or so, start going back to school for an MBA, just when you are having work experience, making your MBA program relevant.

I've always wanted to do a software startup with some friends, and unlike most businesses, it does not require any type of funding or complicated business practice, just a few computers and a compiler. Hell, you don't even need a college experience or any job experience if you're good enough.

As such, it definitely depends on the type of business you're going into.
flyfamilyguy
thetinyclam wrote:

I've always wanted to do a software startup with some friends, and unlike most businesses, it does not require any type of funding or complicated business practice, just a few computers and a compiler. Hell, you don't even need a college experience or any job experience if you're good enough.

As such, it definitely depends on the type of business you're going into.

Software would be a blast! Just wish I knew how. Which brings me to the subject; Are there any websites that offer tutorials on software creation?
biljap
Getting some more practical experience in several companies would help you a lot. Wink