FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anti-Virus/Firewall

snowboardalliance
So I have a new laptop with McAfee (free 15 months). Anyway, comparing this to all the FREE alternatives, should I switch? I've used Avast and Zone Alarm (free versions) on my desktop, but I only feel compelled to switch to something like that if I hear they are better. So what is the best free replacement if any?

BTW, I'm on vista with a pretty powerful notebook, but hate to waste resources on AV and Firewalls if I don't need to.

EDIT: please not that I have made a reply and I am using AVG and Comodo. Only post if you have something relevant to say as this is otherwise a very old topic. Thank you
MeddlingMonk
I'm not really sure how McAfee compares to ZoneAlarm, as I haven't used McAfee before. I've always used ZoneAlarm Free Edition and found it to be a reasonable firewall that doesn't consume too many resources. I also use AVG Antivirus, which uses few system resources, and haven't had a problem yet. I would suggest, if you find McAfee sufficient, to wait until it expires before replacing it. Then I'd go with ZoneAlarm and AVG (or Avira Antivir, if you're willing to let it use more system resources and put up with the advertising).
hunnyhiteshseth
Well I would suggest you switch. Although other free alternatives may not be better than mcafee in catching viruses but they are not worse either.
I think McAfee really slows down your computer & depending on your RAM it may make your computer run slower than what a virus would have done!
You can try McAfee for a month, then make a switch to Avast or AVG & see the difference in performance yourself.
bulek
I'd recommend you Avast over McAfee and AVG as it has a little bit better detection rate and is more stable as well. However, you should rather spend few dollars for better protection and buy Avira, NOD32 or Kaspersky.
snowboardalliance
Well I think I'll switch to Comodo and AVG soon. I'm trying it on my old desktop now and there are no real issues.
Wuppie
McAfee worked for me, now I use avast and that's really good too. Avast is free forever I think so I'll keep op using it.
Diablosblizz
Snowboard, I've posted this many of times on other forums. Only you can make a secure anti virus and firewall combination. It would also depend on what you are looking for in your computer. As long as you know what you are doing with your computer, how to secure and know what you're downloading you should be fine. A basic anti virus (such as AVG or Avast! - note that AVG has had some problems lately from what I have read) could benefit in just a bit of extra security. I've used no anti virus protection for months on my desktop cause I've been very careful on what to download on the web.

Like I said before, only you can make a secure system. Good luck.
sonam
Quote:
I've been very careful on what to download on the web.

Me too, but two days ago I was visit one site. In background without my permision start download. My antivirus stop downloading but too late and I got one nice peace of virus ntload.dll. I was try to kill this virus but after restart of computer it will come back, again and again. Then I change antivirus, and my pc was totally crash. I cannot start windows... Mad

Ok, now I have solve all problems but this is not nice experience. Like Diablosblizz wrote:
Quote:
Only you can make a secure anti virus and firewall combination.

and sometimes is good to try few combination too see what is the best for you.

Sonam
Diablosblizz
Hmm, I've never heard your situation before. That must have been troublesome. Congrats on defeating those nasty bugs. And yes of course you can't just have a anti-virus. Spyware, Trojans, Rook-Kits, and Malware. You name it and theres already something out. Of course having a list of programs then you can have more protection than you did before. Although, you can never be 100% secure, unless your computer is not hooked up to the internet.
realtrue
I have bad experience in zone alarm. My internet connection is blocked eventhough I did not change the setting. I know this is very good firewall but maybe it should be improved. My internet connection is normal by simply uninstall zone alarm.
snowboardalliance
realtrue wrote:
I have bad experience in zone alarm. My internet connection is blocked eventhough I did not change the setting. I know this is very good firewall but maybe it should be improved. My internet connection is normal by simply uninstall zone alarm.

Comodo seems to be working great though.
Diablosblizz
realtrue wrote:

Not sure how, but you can disable your internet browser from being blocked by Zone Alarms firewall.
marciomarques
I'd recommend you Avast and AVG as it has a little bit better detection. I'm use it on my laptop now and there are no real issues
Rolling Eyes
reiika101
I've been using Avast and ZoneAlarm for about a year until I switched to a new computer. Anyway, my experience with the two was awesome, and I must say that Avast is really good at finding things. Same could be for McAffee but it won't be as good as Avast with all their false detections. Just stick to Avast, Zone Alarm and two spyware programs - pick one from either a list here and here.
malcolmpreen
realtrue wrote:

As I suspect you have learnt now, this was caused by a micro$oft update... updating ZoneAlarm fixed the problem (although you had to lower the security setting to medium - or uninstall the micro$oft update to re-enable your internet before downloading and installing the ZA update)

Malcolm
swaraj
If u r using McAfee enterprise, don't even think about switching to another anti virus software. Just keep it frequently updated. If u r using security center from Mcafee, You better change to something else quickly. I would choose Avast instead of security center.
bulek
McAfee really isn't so effective antivirus program. Check out results of test on http://www.av-comparatives.org/
achowles
I've gone through quite a few free and premium virus scanners and the best combination I've found is Zonealarm firewall and Avast Anti-virus. They're both free and they both prove more stable, functional and generally less annoying than the alternatives.
airh3ad
Im using avg 8 free edition its good its protect my pc anytime and easy to used, always update your anti virus .
hofodomo01
I've used AVG free edition for a long time. It's fine in terms of general security (i.e. there's a virus--it puts it in the virus vault). But I've always had issues with the AVG auto update system. Every once in a while, it doesn't update properly, and says that parts and files that are required for update are missing =/

So I'm using PC Tools Antivirus in the meantime (all free programs, don't have the money to pay); not sure how well it works exactly, but...
everfine99
I used many anti-viruses, here is list of some good ones
Ratings
(1) AVG ----------Good------------but sometime files corrupt----------------****************
(2) Symantec-----Good-----------but resource consuming and not free----*************
(3) NOD32--------Good------------not good compare to AVG----------------************
(4) Avast----------Better-----------currently using----------------------------******************
osuchin
for me, im ok with comodo and avg,
leosthenerd
I use PC tools internet security suite, spybot S&D, and ad-aware SE.

Though my preferences are with McAfee, i find these work good too. Norton sucks.
Skye001
Anti virus Suite
Bitdefender = fast and very secure... best thing is about it, its not too in your face and works discreetly in the back.

Firewall
Bitdefender = very basic application layer firewall
Sygate = probably the best firewall in the world I say, shows everything you wanted to know about how many connections an application has open and the remote ip, also how much packets have been broadcasted and recieved.

Sygate was bought by Norton and ceased but you can still download it, i think.
chartcentral
If you're okay with having a pop-up come up once a day advertising the paid version, then you'd do great with Avira AntiVir Free Edition. I'm using this anti-virus since I've kind of looked for a better alternative from Grisoft AVG, and this one does the job quite well. Smile
vineeth
For speed, it is AVG Free and for protection it is Avast Home. But nowadays, having just any antivirus or firewall won't help much. I would advice you to use an all in one system security suite that contains antivirus, frewall, internet filters, system monitor and daily updates.

BitDefender Total Securiy 2008 is a good one. If you need free ones, try Avast Home or AVG free along with Windows Defender and default windows firewall.
xcloudy
I prefer Nod32, it runs fast and anti virus perfect.
reiika101
I suggest that you either switch to other anti-virus programs like Kaspersky and Eset Nod32 which are both paid. Otherwise, download Avast and ZoneAlarm.
jdelfire
just something to add for security protection. many of you is not familiar with this program that is very handy in terms of removing malwares. happy surfing Smile

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe
crabfish
I recommend Defender Pro for anyone looking for a powerful and complete security solution. It is very inexpensive compatred to the big-players in the market and it has protected my computers successfully for the past year or so. It also allows you to install on more than one computer. (think: g
reat family/house solution)

I also recommend it for advanced users who want to have more control over their computer security.

It is made by Kaspersky and you can get it here...

http://defender-pro.com/
ducmanh86
why don't you use NOD32 Antivirus or Smart security(include Firewall and Antivirus) of ESET? It is rapid, complete and powerful.
bhaskarbmca
I recomend Avast Home and Zone Alarm, this is the most useful couple comes free ... and I am using it for last 3 years without any complain.
1www
Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 ,That sounds very good
bulek
If we are speaking about the best Antivirus and price is not a high priority, then Avira AntiVir Premium is definitely the best choice. Check out this link http://av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report19.pdf and convince yourself.