FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Board Games?

cafefrog
So I clicks on the games forum and expected an nostagic look back at great board/card games. Instead almost all the posts were about the latest wii, ps3, or xbox game.

Although I own a few game systems, what about when the first duck hunt game for nintendeo game out in the 80's, when monopoly was a great way to spend an rainy saturday afternoon, and when yatezee was thrilling.

People need to un-glue themselves from the screen and get some face time.......
KatanaSky
aww.... I miss duckhunt!!!

I love Monopoly but I can never find people that would like to play.

Never got into Yatzee though.

Let's see... what other boardgames... um... Chess, Sorry!, Battleship (wait, that's not considered a board game is it?), Clue (LOVE clue), hm.. I'm sure there are many others.
fredy
I play chess, it is may favorite board game, another is Risk and monopoly
haydxn
we just bought a new monopoly set - it's the girls' "boutique edition", and it's all pink and has a cute makeup-box style box to go in Smile

We love board games, our favourites are Pictionary, Scrabble, Rummikub and monopoly i guess. We have quite a few
pretty-dreamz
Oh I love playing word association. It's the best game.
spinout
We still play marvel superhheros board game!

my other favorite is stratego.
BlackroseDigitalDesigns
I whole heartedly agree here. Maybe not with the games, but with the concept. There are so many great ADULT board games out there. Now, when I say adult I dont mean the games are rated for adults. While those are out there, thats not what I'm looking at. Some great games meant for adults or even mature teenagers.

Chez Geek (the entire series) A card game that makes a great RPG.

Milk/Beer Money Card game where you use cards to literally fight your apponent

Axis & Allies a WWII based board game

Risk, I mean come one, who doesn't love risk.

Settlers of Cataan, a war board game with multiple expansions.

The list goes on and on. I would pick ANY of these over HALO 3 or Assassins Creed, or whatever else is coming out to blow our minds out.
spinout
we have a boardgane called 'fox-game' translated. 2 foxes vs a bunch of cheeps! whats it called in your country?
_AVG_
According to me, Board Games are "bored" games ... its the time of virtual gaming, not physically setting up games and tediously putting them away after you've finished. Yes, the fun of rolling dice is not there but now every board game has a computer version as well.
Tutor
BlackroseDigitalDesigns wrote:
Axis & Allies a WWII based board game

I recommend Axis & Allies WWII. It's just simply the greatest board game I have ever played but I must warn you. Usually one full turn can take about an hour or more. It has great variety of randomness and tactics.

All friends of tactics, check it out.
guissmo
I like to play board games too, but just like many others, I can't find people who are willing to play with me. So, I tend to use the virtual versions but it just can't replace the thrill of pwning real-life human beings as opposed to easily predictable AIs.
McDucque
I play a lot of big complicated board games that take hours to complete like Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium, or the DOOM-based game.

Twilight Imperium takes 9 hours plus for a 6-player game... but hell, its fun.
kilotun
i like to play monopoly for board games, and maby others that i cant remember the name's to.
MtgRuler
Twilight Imperium, one of the best games Ive played. If you have the time
I also enjoy most war games that take awhile (Risk, Axis and Allies, etc)

But what about miniture games? Theres a ton of good games there, if your willing to spend the money on getting a good army. I just go to a local gaming convention, and play with other people's minis that they have arranged for some epic battle. Flames of War (WWII minis game) is pretty fun.
eday2010
I like Scrabble, Monopoly, and Trivial Pursuit, especially the 80s and 90s versions. It's nice to do something that doesn't involve technology. Unlike some people here, I am not a slave to computers or the Internet. Some card games are also fun, like Joker Rummy and an Italian card game called Scoppa.

I'd rather play real board games than computerized ones.
Spartan
You guys are old...
Board games are now played ON the PC!!! Razz lol.. Seriously..
My favorites are Monopoly (I played that a lot, for some time), Clue, Scrabble, chess, checkers, and a few more. Smile
Tutor
No PC or console can challenge boardgames. There's nothing better than rolling that dice in your own hand and talking to your buddies in person, have a little snack and laugh your ass out.
SpellcasterDX
I still play some board games like Connect Four and Battleship. I like monopoly too, but nobody ever wants to play cause it takes so long to finish.
MtgRuler
Tutor wrote:
No PC or console can challenge boardgames. There's nothing better than rolling that dice in your own hand and talking to your buddies in person, have a little snack and laugh your ass out.

Lol, Munchkin is awesome for that(although techicnally a card game) They have the Cheat card. Its basically a game of D&D gone wrong.

Spartan wrote:
You guys are old...

Not all of us. unless teenagers are old
blk3
If you like board games you should try Ultimate Board Games Collection for the PSP. It has lots of different kinds of board games all in one pack.
SpellcasterDX
blk3 wrote:
If you like board games you should try Ultimate Board Games Collection for the PSP. It has lots of different kinds of board games all in one pack.

That's more of a videogame then a board game.
revani
I've got to learn how to play Go. I play chess, but I'm not too good at it.
fpwebs
Well, maybe you should glue yourself to a dictionary and learn how to spell. Are you sure you aren't glued to the video games yourself? Also why are you so interested in the duck game, you were just complaining that people should unglue themselves from the t.v. Hypocritical is what it is. Are you sure that the Nintendo came out in the '80s? I thought it was in the '90s. Not that it's really too important. Well I agree, people really do need to find better things to do than play video games all day, but every once in a while it's really not that bad. Nevertheless it would be amazing if they can invent a video game that helps out the human race rather than producing unsatisfying "fat" results (for the lackofa better word)
eday2010
fpwebs wrote:
Are you sure that the Nintendo came out in the '80s? I thought it was in the '90s.

Dunt Hunt came out in the mid 1980s.

fpwebs wrote:
Nevertheless it would be amazing if they can invent a video game that helps out the human race rather than producing unsatisfying "fat" results (for the lackofa better word)

They did. It's called the Nintendo Wii.
chartcentral
Board games: I love Scrabble! Smile
When I was a kid, I also had a chance to play Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly, Ludo, Steeplechase (a horse race board game). If it also falls into this category, then I have to include chess, Chinese checkers and what we call locally as dama. Very Happy
BigBangFan
Monopoly is the all-time greatest board game. I'm also partial to Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit, chess and backgammon.
lethaltriad
Only a few board games i've ever played. Monopoly being one of the my favourites and then were is also Chess, Checkers, Battleship and Guese Who. Does Jenga count as one? lol

Nowadays though I play more card games than even video games.
Nutteloos
MtgRuler wrote:
Lol, Munchkin is awesome for that(although techicnally a card game) They have the Cheat card. Its basically a game of D&D gone wrong.

Munchkin is quite awesome indeed. Recommended for anyone who has ever played a computer RPG or perhaps even tabletop D&D. You'll laugh your ass off, guaranteed.

McDucque wrote:
I play a lot of big complicated board games that take hours to complete like Arkham Horror, Twilight Imperium, or the DOOM-based game.

Ooh, I remember Arkham Horror - that game was quite good, I played a 6-player game of that a few months ago, it took the whole afternoon and most of the evening because half the players had never seen it before, but we had quite a blast.
chi0
I love board games! My friends and I try to get together and play a game at least once a week. Very Happy
If we have a lot of time, we'll usually play Risk. But we've been buying more games lately. Our favourite for short sessions is Taboo, and our newest addition to the family is Balderdash! Haven't played it yet, but we're all very excited. Razz
Nutteloos
The 'new' Risk game (2210 AD it's called, I think) is quite amazing, too. It changes so many of the points that made Risk annoying, and it gives the ability to do some quick games, too. So much more depth... I played it for the first time a while back, and I was quite impressed.
MtgRuler
Nutteloos wrote:
The 'new' Risk game (2210 AD it's called, I think) is quite amazing, too. It changes so many of the points that made Risk annoying, and it gives the ability to do some quick games, too. So much more depth... I played it for the first time a while back, and I was quite impressed.

2210 is alot better, but there still is a good amount of fun for just a total conquest game instead of the 5 turn thing. For those who havent played, in addition to the Earth, you can also take over the moon and the oceans.