FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Game's Dev Blog

IllusionSoftware
I'm proud to announce the official Utopia Development Blog!

In that blog I'll show you how I progress while making our first game, Utopia.

The link is:

http://utopiadevblog.wordpress.com/

Visit the blog and see that I'm up to. The blog only launched today so please don't expect a lot right now.

Thanks,
Blue Fox Entertainment
UntitledDocument
Good luck, I am training to become a Game Tester (check my frihost blog out) so if you like, I would love to test your game and offer my opinions, and obviously help find bugs.

How many people are in your team?
IllusionSoftware
Sure I could use your help for testing. I'll let you know more when the game is close to its "demo" state Smile

Currently I'm the only one on the team.
UntitledDocument
Mmmk.

All developers have to start somewhere Very Happy
Zuex
Will this game be freeware? I can't see it selling.
Great job though! Developing games isn't easy!
IllusionSoftware
I want to pitch it to Microsoft so they can put it on XBLA. Who knows what will happen.

Why don't you see it selling?
UntitledDocument
IllusionSoftware wrote:
I want to pitch it to Microsoft so they can put it on XBLA. Who knows what will happen.

In it's current state it wouldn't sell and with the video on your blog I doubt it would make it onto XBLA. You have to understand that there are hundreds of developers pitching things to microsoft all the time so your game has to stand out.

I think we need some background of the game. Whats the story, who's the character, what can he/she/it do etc.
IllusionSoftware
UntitledDocument wrote:
IllusionSoftware wrote:

In it's current state it wouldn't sell and with the video on your blog I doubt it would make it onto XBLA. You have to understand that there are hundreds of developers pitching things to microsoft all the time so your game has to stand out.

I think we need some background of the game. Whats the story, who's the character, what can he/she/it do etc.

Of course it won't sell in it's current state, because I'm just prototyping many ideas around. If your talking graphic wise again they are just place holders for the prototypes. The jumping height, is not fixed and is a lot more realistic.

I do understand that a lot of people pitch games to MS. It's worth a try though Wink.

For more story of the game, have seen the About page on the blog. If so and you disagree that is has too little information, then please let me know what I can add to make it better Smile

Thanks for the comments guys.

Currently I'm implementing a new HUD system inside the game with a mini-map, health bar, mana/energy bar, picture box, and weapon box. It's coming out great.

I'll have a new video posted very soon.

Keep checking the blog for updates!
UntitledDocument
Okay I will be awaiting your next video good luck Smile
IllusionSoftware
I have added a new screenshot. Go check it out its a WIP on the HUD
UntitledDocument
Looks better.

I think you definately need more people in your team though. I could help you with designing (level designing, concept designing, story ideas etc), I'm not an expert but I could do with some experience for when I join a game company.

What programming language are you using?
Flarkis
What is the premise of this game
IllusionSoftware
Flarkis wrote:
What is the premise of this game

What do you mean?
Flarkis
The plot, the concept, the idea behind the game
IllusionSoftware
Flarkis wrote:
The plot, the concept, the idea behind the game

Oh its all in the About Utopia page on the blog Smile
UntitledDocument
Just so you know, I've been researching the games industry for about 2 weeks now and it's a lot harder then it seems to break in. Starting your own team is okay but without any prior experience it can be disastorous. I suggest you sign up to the forum IGDA - International Games Developers Association (http://www.igda.org) This will give you an insight, and you will learn to understand what the industry is like. Also you can ask for tips.
IllusionSoftware
UntitledDocument wrote:
Just so you know, I've been researching the games industry for about 2 weeks now and it's a lot harder then it seems to break in. Starting your own team is okay but without any prior experience it can be disastorous. I suggest you sign up to the forum IGDA - International Games Developers Association (http://www.igda.org) This will give you an insight, and you will learn to understand what the industry is like. Also you can ask for tips.

Your right it is hard. That's what most developers start out as an indie like me. A lot of developers such as Pop Cap Games. Other "big" game developers such as Valve were previously an independent game developer. Currently Bungie (The guys who made Halo) are an LLC.

Thanks for giving me the tip on signing up at the IDGA forums. I've visited there a couple of times but really didn't understand what they had to offer. Maybe I'll dig around a little more.
IllusionSoftware
Just released the first screenshot of the level editor were using to create the levels for Utopia.

http://utopiadevblog.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/level-editor-screenshot/

Comment here or there and tell me how it looks Smile
IllusionSoftware
Just made a new video of the level editor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrA3YEpwqVQ

Sorry but Youtube makes the quality crap.
simonwest80
Well if you really are interested in getting into games, i will let you know from experience unless you are very lucky you will not get into your desired position straight away such as design, production, programmer etc. You will need to start at the bottom - junior tester, and dont think it is fun, its fun for the 1st couple of days then after that you hate the game you are playing Wink

My other piece if advice is dont waste your time in studying things like "Computer and Video Game Design" at some of the universities that offer these types of course, just speak to people about junior/trainee positions. My 1st in Computer and Video Games Design to be honest has been as useful as a chocolate teapot and basically just put me in debt with a degree outside the industry most people laugh at (you need to relise most people dont understand how games are made and what skills you need)

If you are in the UK two companies who have always been helpful to me are:

Aardvark Swift = www.aswift.com/ or www.aardvarkswift.co.uk

and

Datascope = www.datascope.co.uk
Kelcey
Hmm... says the blog is deleted now.