FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

worm factory

aswapathy
Has anyone ever used a Worm Factory like the one advertised on http://carls-permaculture.com and if so, how fast do the worms double in population?
ashen
I never used it, but my uncle was a worm farmer, he use manual and traditional ways. But it works too.
Wolf1918
I've never used this type of worm farm but I did have a small worm farm once. The worms did OK but they didn't really multiply because their container wasn't large enough. You need to make sure you have a container large enough to allow for the population to increase and for the worms to have enough room to tunnel around, eat, and what ever else worms do.

Chad
shkhanal
Are you talking about worms that produces organic fertilizers? I stumbled here thinking about worms.
Arty
shkhanal wrote:
Are you talking about worms that produces organic fertilizers? I stumbled here thinking about worms.

Yeah, I think they are. =O
Drawingguy
I've had a friend who grew redworms, I don't know about earthworms or whatever. But the redworms are really easy to cultivate, and you can get so many, so quickly. Basically, you just need one of those medium sized recycling bins, a starter population, some medium, and you go from there. It's surprisingly easy to maintain- every time you have some sort of fruit/vegetable scrap, all you need to do is just toss it in the bin, and keep it covered.

It doesn't produce any foul odor, or anything, and all you need to really do is turn the dirt over every now and then, to prevent compacting, I guess. The dirt they produce is amazing fertilizer-wise, and in my case, the worms that are 'born' make for great fish food.
missdixy
Wow I never even knew those things existed. I mean it makes sense and all but yeahhh interesting how I learn new things everyday haha
coolclay
I've never used that one but I've made my own in the past, and they worked ok but not great. They ate a lot of scraps. We had trouble keeping them fed!
Zombie
If you're just doing this for fishing or something similar, you should till a portion of your yard, and fertilize it, then just dig up clumps of it to reveal big nightcrawlers whenever you need them.
bonestorm74
Not sure, my Dad has used some stuff like this, I might have to check into it with him and get back to you.
ankitdatashn
No never heard that there is a worm factory!, producing worms, that is surely weird!, haha!!

but I know this is important for over planet...
apple
farming worms! oh my!
I have never heard about this, tho it should not shock me...it did.
fx-trading-education
Do you intend to grow worms as a business?
I guess it is not for your personal use
molif
worm factory..?? u mean the literally worms tt are breed in the soil..??

goodness.. i still dont see the purpose or the business idea of rearing worms..
raine dragon
I've never tried it, but logically, I would imagine they would do better or worse based on the conditions just like any sort of 'pet' might.
Thumpercats
I have never actually heard of those before.

Well onetime, it was on Dirty Deeds with Mike Rowe once! lol.
fdforumhk
Is there someting like that
sorry, i have never heard about it, and not even tried to grow worms
isn't it feels terrible?