FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free games

WhistleTurning
Does anyone know of a good website to download decent free games. I don't want part games, you know the ones, they have bits missing that don't allow you to access parts of the software like saving (this is the most anoying one in shootup ups and were the character gets splated). Also demo's to me are a waste of time.

I don't mind if they have become shareware because they have passed there shelf life as a comercial proposition as long as they dont have graphics like the old Atari and BBC machines (Brits understand what I mean)

I would prefer something that makes you think and is not mindless-adventure with puzzles etc
Ghengis
You might like to visit www.the-underdogs.info. Home of the Underdogs is my favorite place to look for older games that are now considered "abandonware". They have a "best of" list to help you find games you might not have been exposed to back in the 90s but that are definitely worth you time.
Faraz
Something that makes you think eh? Well, if you like wrestling, then you can play EWR. In EWR you play as a wrestling promotor and compete against other companies for ratings, etc. It's a very old game, but very addicitive.

http://www.ewbattleground.com/
UntitledDocument
If you want a free online multiplayer FPS then download F.E.A.R. Combat

If you want a massively multiplayer online rpg then download something like DOMO (Dream of mirror online)

If you want any online multiplayer then look for MMOs

I don't think there are any decent games that aren't MMOs tbh.
wombatrpgs
Well... If you like RPGs, I can recommend a site I know of:
http://www.wombatrpgs.frih.net/phpBB2/downloads.php?cat=2
</blatant advertisement>

Now that that's out of the way, actually, if you're looking for something slightly better than the above, and can appreciate roguelikes, try ADOM. It's postcardware, so... Highly addictive, and quite a mean game.
http://www.adom.de
WhistleTurning
Had a look at the suggested sites, Underdogs would not download, kept giving errors and was veeeery slow. The others just were not suitable. I did ask for games that ran OK, ADOM seems very buggy and the Advert site was to me a set of very simple games.

Untitleddoc-where do you download these from?????
jon_k
on xfire.com there is a list of free games for downloading along with the messenger which is nice to chat with people from other games while in a game
UntitledDocument
WhistleTurning wrote:
Had a look at the suggested sites, Underdogs would not download, kept giving errors and was veeeery slow. The others just were not suitable. I did ask for games that ran OK, ADOM seems very buggy and the Advert site was to me a set of very simple games.

Oh sorry lol:

F.E.A.R. Combat - Make sure when you put in your birthdate, it is older then 18.

Dream of mirror online - Watch the trailor (media) before you judge it.

If you want a game which is the same style as DOMO but different mood (like instead of pigs and cats theres zombies and bats lol) then search for MMORPG on google there should be a list of available games. There are hundreds.
Flarkis
http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/

Beyond fun. Free game, great game play, and available for most operating systems.
UntitledDocument
Flarkis wrote:

Beyond fun. Free game, great game play, and available for most operating systems.

Looks cool it is an online multiplayer right?
Ghengis
WhistleTurning wrote:

I think you need a Google lesson. Searching for "FEAR combat download" brought up a few thousands relevant hits. Underdogs is a slow download, but that's because a) the games are much smaller than "modern" games, and b) it's entirely ad- and donation-supported. They have a small budget, so they can't host much. The games are worth the wait, though.

If you're the kind of guy who thinks a game sucks just because the graphics aren't shiny enough, though, I can't help you.
Flarkis
UntitledDocument wrote:
Flarkis wrote:

Looks cool it is an online multiplayer right?

Mostly online...there is a single player mode but in my opinion it is not very good, it is basically multiplayer with computers.
Agent ME
A fun game I liked with a strong singleplayer experience is Strife. It's an older game based on the Doom engine (the original doom), but actually has a good storyline and rpg elements (and good voice-acting, especially for its time).
It isn't exactly free, but I believe the company that made it fell apart and no one sells it any more, so it'd be abondonware. It can be downloaded from home of the underdogs which was linked to in a different post. In order to play it on a more recent system, download the gzdoom source port, and copy the game's data files "strife1.wad" and "voices.wad" into gzdoom's folder. Start up gzdoom, set up your controls, and you're good to go.
UntitledDocument
The only problem with the games I recommended is that there is no offline single player mode. Although in DOMO the story is quite deep (the deepest I've seen in any MMORPG) and there are cut scenes, story missions etc. it's not all just lvling up. Oh and there are always quests available which is another good thing.

Just realised theres already a stick on this subject:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-9812.html
wombatrpgs
WhistleTurning wrote:

Oh, wait, sorry forgot to explain the "advert site." I meant the RPGs in the downloads section that was linked to, not the Arcade games... Yeah, the arcade ones are pretty bad. As far as ADOM... It's not buggy, it just doesn't have any graphics at all. It's ASCII-based. You either like or don't. Sorry I can't help.
Ghengis
So I thought of another suggestion -- if you have a lot (I mean a LOT) of time to kill, you might look at Gametap. They have a free account, and a paid system. On the free account, a couple dozen games are free, with the selection changing (I think) weekly. For a pretty small fee (60 bucks a year -- that's one new 360/PS3 game) you get unlimited access to about a thousand games, most of which are actually decent, or at least something you've heard of. They have some new-ish content too, like the Sam and Max episodes. I'd sign up for myself if I had any time to play PC games.

Man, how cool would it be if they had this for PS3 or 360? I'd be all over that...
WhistleTurning
Thanks again fellas. I have found this site myself which is a nominal paysite, something like a couple of pounds for a day of 5 for a month, might try it when I get back off hols

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/adventure/
salemaj
There are a lot of places for free games, try www.free-online-games.com, but I would STRONGLY recommend going to www.kongregate.com, it's as they say, the web 2.0 of online gaming, the games are extremely fun and the user graphical interface is clean and tidy, unlike other websites.
WhistleTurning
I am trying top avoid online games, and prefer single player stuff. Rolling Eyes
wombatrpgs
That's a good point actually... Is there any online, decent, single-player game? And I don't mean some stupid flash gamelet from those dozens of online gaming sites...
jon_k
trackmania is good if you like racing games and there is an online
Agent ME
wombatrpgs wrote:
Is there any online, decent, single-player game?

What do you mean by an online single-player game?
simsekfatih
thank you
wombatrpgs
Agent ME wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Usually, online games are either MMORPG-types which involve massive numbers of players, smaller duel-based games with basically one-on-one interaction, or short flash games. Nothing against Flash, just I've never seen a full game done on it. Most are simple games based on one concept that could entertain for maybe half an hour. Is there any full-length, single-player, web-based game?
Wuppie
wombatrpgs wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

Usually, online games are either MMORPG-types which involve massive numbers of players, smaller duel-based games with basically one-on-one interaction, or short flash games. Nothing against Flash, just I've never seen a full game done on it. Most are simple games based on one concept that could entertain for maybe half an hour. Is there any full-length, single-player, web-based game?

That is actually a good question. I have never seen such a game. Maybe it doesn't exist.
Ghengis
The BBC has the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy souped up in a Flash version -- it's a text adventure like Zork, but they've added some graphical elements. It's pretty cool, but you probably wouldn't like it if you didn't read the books.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/game_nolan.shtml

Virtual Apple is *amazing*. My first computer was an Apple ][ compatible, and I remember playing a lot of the games there. It might not be what you had in mind, but if you're of a certain age, it will give you a chance to really relive some great times. I'm also aware of online emulators for old DOS games like Prince of Persia 1/2 and Doom; there's an online Quake, though I don't know if you can play it single player. There are also Java (online) NES emulators, though I haven't used them myself so I don't know if they're any good, plus they'd technically be illegal since the ROMs are still being sold under e.g. the Virtual Console on the Wii.

I already mentioned it, but Gametap lets you play games you download (are you specifically looking for it to be in a browser?) for free as well. I think you'll find that generally, a "robust" single player experience just makes more sense as a client-side game.
Faraz
For all sorts of rpg games: www.gamingw.net
Agent ME
Wuppie wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:
Agent ME wrote:
wombatrpgs wrote:

That is actually a good question. I have never seen such a game. Maybe it doesn't exist.

So you're looking for a full length flash game? That's an odd criteria and I doubt there are very many. The Portal Flash game is pretty fun.
haydxn
this one is fun, though very different:

http://play.typeracer.com/
jon_k
nope not to fun for me Razz
WhistleTurning
Embarassed Come on Guys can we get back to the origional (perhaps now modified) point of this thread i.e. finding me somewhere that I can download games for free,(or small fee Embarassed ) NOT dependant on the net in order to play them. Laughing
Ghengis
S2 games makes Savage available for free, to drum up business for Savage 2.

http://www.s2games.com/savage/index.php?page=savageindex

You can also download Savage 2 for free, and play with a crippled account until you upgrade or something. I don't know, I've only played the first one. It's online-only, so you might not like that caveat.

Did you ever try Underdogs again? I can make some specific suggestions, if you like.
WhistleTurning
Yep Ghengis I DONT want any web based games, as I like to play off line while my other half uses the web-too mean Embarassed to get wireless so we can both be on????
Ghengis
WhistleTurning wrote:
Yep Ghengis I DONT want any web based games, as I like to play off line while my other half uses the web-too mean Embarassed to get wireless so we can both be on????

Seriously, you can get a wireless router and USB adapter for practically free (literally free, sometimes, after rebate) -- why not join the rest of the civilized word?
OldReliable
A good baseball one is Cal Rikens Real Baseball. Its free and multiplayer game. They have tournaments and teams. Take your character and go from level 0 to 99. But its not an "all in one day" kind of game. I really like it, but there is some restrictions.
WhistleTurning
Will folk stop hijacking this thread by placing in web based games. I only want people to reply for off line games based on a PC
wombatrpgs
I've heard good things about Cave Story, though I can't say I've ever tried it. Meets the criteria though.

http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/
Ghengis
I heard Cave Story was going to be pulled (as in no longer free) because the author is trying to find a publisher (for Wii, maybe?). That would be a bit sad, but good for him if somebody will pay him for it.
wombatrpgs
Then all the more reason to download it now... I might save a copy just in case.