FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meditation

KatanaSky
I'd like to look into meditating but I'm not sure where to start - do any of you have any suggestions?

From time to time I would read things like how beneficial it is as far as balancing yourself with the every day stresses you encounter every day. Thing is though I don't know anyone personally that meditates. ...and when I mention it to people they just turn around and tell that they don't have time to waste on it.

I'd like to go give it a go but... I'm not sure which is the proper way, how long I should etc...
Bikerman
Try:
http://www.feedback.nildram.co.uk/richardebbs/meditation/meditationindex.htm
deanhills
KatanaSky wrote:
I'd like to look into meditating but I'm not sure where to start - do any of you have any suggestions?

From time to time I would read things like how beneficial it is as far as balancing yourself with the every day stresses you encounter every day. Thing is though I don't know anyone personally that meditates. ...and when I mention it to people they just turn around and tell that they don't have time to waste on it.

I'd like to go give it a go but... I'm not sure which is the proper way, how long I should etc...

I can recommend Vipasanna Meditation, which is a very simple meditation that focusses on your breathing. It is a sure thing, has been around for centuries. They offer courses that you can attend on a full-time basis for free including accommodation (you can decide at the end of it how much you want to contribute), so could be ideal during holidays. They do it as a retreat. They believe that in order to learn meditation you need to focus completely with no distractions and someone else should take care of cooking for you so that you can focus only on the art or meditation.

Below is a link to their Website:

http://www.dhamma.org/

There are different stages in keeping up with the meditation. Once you have done the basic course and completed it, you can return and redo the courses and as you progress you can help others with doing the basic course as well. I.e. you can do it as a one-off, or you can get more involved in the Vipasanna group of your specific area. Good way to make some interesting friends too.

I notice there is a centre in Texas in Kaufman. This is the link to the centre and schedules for 2008 and 2009:

http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schsiri.shtml
viraj
KatanaSky wrote:

Meditation is a art to concentrate on self. When one meditate he/she should be away from all the disturbances internal and external.

It is very easy to get rid of external disturbance by going to a remote place with peaceful atmosphere and no one to disturb you, but the most critical part is to get rid of internal disturbance.

Human mind is a thought factory. Meditation is a known sleep where one makes its mind sleep and thoughtless.

The only way to achieve is by practise. Know one can be a perfect meditator on the very first day, one need to practise it in on regular basis to do better meditation.

Viraj
Guelila
Hm... I personally lie down in a relatively dark room and listen to music with headphones (to block out other noises) when I try to relax.
After a few songs I feel very relaxed and refreshed.
Would this be considered as meditation?
After all, it IS concentrating in one thing, the music.
peaceupnorth
I've practised a number of meditation methods and this one has stayed with me. I've been doing it 3 years and it has completely changed and bettered my life. I have not found any other method more complete and useful as this... and it is mostly practical, without a lot of theory attached, so it doesn't take a philosophical brain to understand it.

It is important to find a competent teacher... someone who has mastered their own method. This type of person can help you overcome difficulties and keep you motivated. Often you may meet teachers who don't really "walk the walk" and are motivated by fame or fortune.

good luck!
mgeek
KatanaSky wrote:

If you are a Christian, try this one http://www.wccm.org/home.asp?pagestyle=home