FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kidulthood = real life?

UntitledDocument
Last week was friday the 13th, and as a result, some gang from my town thought "Yeh lets go do people in, that'll make them more superstitious"

2 of my friends got hospitalised that night, one of them came out of surgery today with a face bandage. The other one I'm not as close to but he got bottled in the face 4 times. 7 other people who I don't know got knocked out by this gang that night. One of the people was one of the top cage fighters in britain, I don't think he got to involved in jumping people though, I think he was just there for backup in case they fight back. The main person who helped attack 7 people was a guy called david wright who went to my school and has pulled a knife out on my friends more than once. He got beaten up by his own crew on friday for jumping too many people and not being discreet about it.

Has anyone else got stories like this? I think britain is going downhill, through everyone copying the Gs from rap music and films. I know rap wasn't intended for the purpose of influencing kids, I'm into hip hop myself, but some stupid people take it too seriously. Who agrees?

Talk about things like this that have happened to you or people you know.
standready
That is just SICK!! I hope that gang is caught by the authorities and given hard jail time.
ccube921
This is Democracy, give people freedom they go overboard if anyone (excepting G-d, no duh) gets too much power you go CRAZY. I doubt its from rap, its with all the freedom people forget about cause and effect, pay attention to the effect, you will always live with the effect towering over you or elevating you to great heights. Everything has an effect.
deanhills
It is definitely scary and I am sorry you had to go through that.

I don't think it is only a Britain thing though. Some time ago I was on visit in Zurich and what really threw me is that their shops basically close at 5:00 p.m. with little more to do after than visit restaurants. So I decided to take a few trams at approx 10:00 p.m. to see what Zurich looks like at night. At one of the main hubs in a very respectable neighbourhood, I came across some teenagers who must have been under the influence of something as they were throwing glass bottles against the bus shelter. Gestulating violently with all the sound effects to go with it and screaming and swearing. That was quite an eye opener for me as I would have thought Switzerland would be one of the safest places in the world. I made my way into a trolley as quietly as I could. So probably this is a European phenomenon? Drugs and whatever follows after that. Glass bottles seem to be a weapon of choice?

So far I have not seen any of that in Vancouver, Canada. There is our Eastern District, however have not heard it that bad. Must be serious worries for people in Europe.
Zuex
Well from your title, Kidulthood is based on how kids really are in London, it isn't just made up. That's the key reason for its success, i'm sorry to hear that stuff about your friends, i hope they get better.
ocalhoun
That's one of those times where it would be nice to be armed. Probably not to actually shoot anyone, but to make them say:
"Hey, let's get that guy! *run towards* Oh ****! He's got a gun! *run away*"
Arty
ccube921 wrote:
This is Democracy, give people freedom they go overboard if anyone (excepting G-d, no duh) gets too much power you go CRAZY. I doubt its from rap, its with all the freedom people forget about cause and effect, pay attention to the effect, you will always live with the effect towering over you or elevating you to great heights. Everything has an effect.

Nah, rap is the problem. You're saying Democracy causes all the gang violence and not rap??? Shocked
Liu
Arty wrote:

Nah, rap is the problem. You're saying Democracy causes all the gang violence and not rap??? Shocked

Give me a break, gangs have existed long before rap.
Arty
Yes but back then there aren't young teens in gangs that randomly decide to kill people for fun. But now you hear about this kind of random violence in rap music, no?
wolvmag
My friend Brandon is all gangster. he's like 13.. I'm 15 going on 16 this august. This kid knows half of eminem's songs off by heart. I prefer AC/DC, KISS, Etc.. he says they suck hairy monkey n*ts.
I hear him call people a fag like.. 20 times a day, hell he calls me a fag all the time and he practically stalks these 2 girls. And me *shudder* he even came to my school once..

Were like.. best friends (I stuck up for the kid when he gave a retard a lighter - lit a 300 yr old historical landmark -> the barn down on Wallace Terrace) He stuck up for me. (I was.. sad t say.. a pretty ineffective witness. I was swingin' on the rope swing -.- I gave a big holy s*** a fire! when i noticed and tried to usher Brandon out but he was like "NO no.." when I finally got him out this fat guy on a motorcycle threatened to chase us, and he already called the authorities. -.- this was at like.. 9-10pm at night. Crazy thing was -> the whole city saw it. Smelt it. The fire was that gigantic (And I don't mean plastered all over the news big, I mean Calvin said he could smell the fire 30 blocks away, and saw the coloumn of smoke) So yeah.. being G is dangerous. We were all covered in soot. I went to a "holding cell" until my step-mom came with a new set of clothes. *shudder* I had to change with 2 cops standing there.. eugh... "Were all guys here" they said..... Anyway

Enough random babble. My friend is retarded but I hang out with him because we stick up for eachother, and I can use his computer pretty much whenever I want. (I usually have to fix whatever he did to it. he already dropped a laptop, put a virus on his laptop, but he says his new "Deskop Computer" which is at least 80yrs old still works.

Anyway........ I think I just kinda... started typing and kept on going... sorry..
UntitledDocument
That's an intense story wolvmag.

and to the above: I'm not blaming it on rap, they would probably be influences by other sources if rap wasn't around... and also not all rap is G's pulling knifes out.#

And yes, in europe the weapon of choice is a broken bottle. I've never seen anyone who's been stabbed, shot, or anything like that, (except my cousin who was stabbed in germany) but I have seen more then 10 people who have been bottled, usually in the face, but I've seen on the arm, in the guts, leg, even finger lol.
Afaceinthematrix
I don't think that rap is the problem. Culture doesn't come from music; music comes from culture. People make songs about what people like. People have always liked sex and violence. Why do you think people still read Shakespeare today, hundreds of years after it was written? It's because Shakespeare talks about sex and violence. I've always had a similar view as the person who said that Democracy is the problem. While I don't think that Democracy is the problem, I have always shared his view that many people do not make the right decisions. That's always been my concern with Democracy. There's so many ignorant, immature, and immoral people to trust decision making among the population.
j_f_k
its hard to ay what the cause of all this youth violence is. I agree that its not just a UK think although its currently gib in the UK papers, and I can't see how it can be all rap. Death metal and some extreme punk rock one could argue would be more violence-inducing than rap.

you could just as easily blame violent video games.

Personally I think the problem is the relationship between young people and people perceived to be in 'authority'. When I went to school so many years ago the school bullies would bully other kids pretty badly however if a teacher walked by they would stop immedately and no bully would dare do anything (there were of course soft teachers that no one respected - but even their presence would command a tempered behaviour - the soft teacher could still send you to the headmaster's office !).

Today you get not just bullies but lots of kids not thinking twice about talking back to their teachers and refusing to do what they were told and if bad stuff is going down in a classroom and the teacher walks in the bad stuff continues as if they weren't present!

OTOH this may not be a root cause but a sign of the symptom. I wish I knew the root cause I don't think anyone does - knowing it would help eliminate the problem!
UntitledDocument
j_f_k wrote:
its hard to ay what the cause of all this youth violence is....... etc etc blah blah Very Happy Very Happy lol

I never said it was all rap btw Wink and yes it is current "gib" in our papers. I listen to all types of music so I don't blame it on one type of music because all could be culprits, but rap seems to be the one people say is causing it. I don't agree, but I do believe that there are teens who are influenced by rap, just like there are teens who are influenced by other types of music. Heck someone could even argue that opera provokes hatred in youths :p

But to be fair it's nothing to do with music. It's the teens want to gain respect and be the "top dog" that no-one wants to pick a fight with. And then theres the people who haven't got "what it takes" so just tag along and do radical things to impress the top dogs.
deanhills
Wonder whether some of it could be as simple as being bored with nothing constructive to do. So what's left to do? Teenagers may feel frustrated, also ignored. So maybe this is a way to get attention? Sad story. Especially when people are being hurt and violence has this way of perpetuating itself in that it gets exciting and when you are under the influence, you are not that aware of doing it either, it becomes a case of being disassociated of the act of violence.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether some of it could be as simple as being bored with nothing constructive to do.

Generally when I'm bored I make something constructive to do, which is constructive in itself. So far none of my constructive projects have involved harming anybody, though I have considered it. (With the right motivations, it could be considered constructive.) But I digress...

Perhaps the reason they can't come up with anything constructive to do is because their minds have been dulled with years of mindless cartoons followed by by mindless TV shows and accompanied the whole time by music that is mostly obscene lyrics superimposed near-randomly upon bad melody, bad harmony, and a very good beat, then repeated mindlessly.

(Wow, what a long sentence!)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Perhaps the reason they can't come up with anything constructive to do is because their minds have been dulled with years of mindless cartoons followed by by mindless TV shows and accompanied the whole time by music that is mostly obscene lyrics superimposed near-randomly upon bad melody, bad harmony, and a very good beat, then repeated mindlessly.

Good point. The TV shows ares mindless and some of it so much junk and artless violence. What about computer games though, as the games are having a powerful influence as well, as that is almost like interacting with violence. Almost like simulation?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Good point. The TV shows ares mindless and some of it so much junk and artless violence. What about computer games though, as the games are having a powerful influence as well, as that is almost like interacting with violence. Almost like simulation?

The only thing that violence in entertainment does is desensitize. It just subdues their natural tendency not to do such things by repeatedly simulating doing so with no bad consequences. Like showing an arachnophobic pictures of spiders without any bad consequences to make them less timid when they encounter a real spider.

What I was talking about was a lack of imagination, creativity and motivation. A lack of intelligence too, if you want to go as far as to say that. They are too used to relying on others' creativity and their own has atrophied. To make it worse, the others' creativity is so lacking itself that it fails to give them any good ideas when they rely on it!