FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Legal or copyright violation?

erlendhg
Hi. I have just played around with the xp gui for a little website project. It is just for fun, and I doubt that I ever will use it for something. But if the case is otherwise, I need some opinions from you.

I need to know if this is regarded a violation of the copyright laws to use xp's design like this, or if it is ok. Personally, I think of it as a tribute to Windows xp, but I won't take any chances anyway Smile

Please have a look at it: http://mylittlespace.net46.net/xp/

(...and by the way, you can drag the window Razz)
{name here}
erlendhg wrote:
Hi. I have just played around with the xp gui for a little website project. It is just for fun, and I doubt that I ever will use it for something. But if the case is otherwise, I need some opinions from you.

I need to know if this is regarded a violation of the copyright laws to use xp's design like this, or if it is ok. Personally, I think of it as a tribute to Windows xp, but I won't take any chances anyway Smile

Please have a look at it: http://mylittlespace.net46.net/xp/

(...and by the way, you can drag the window Razz)

By Microsoft's standards I'd consider it a violation of Intellectual Property no matter what you use it for. This doesn't look like anything that would be covered by fair use, either. So I suggest you use a different design.
cavey
Did you remove your site?
Anyway, I would not use a huge company like Microsofts design. I don't think they would benefit from your "tribute" either. Most likely they will never find out about your site, and wouldn't care anyway. But I would not take the chance.
erlendhg
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I removed the site immediately after the first reply.
And I have been without Internet for a while, so I haven't been able to tell before now.
Thanks anyways Smile