FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which are the best free disk and reg cleaners?

woundedhealer
I've been checking out a few programs recently so I've been doing a lot of installing and uninstalling. I've downloaded revo uninstall so as to make sure programs are totally uninstalled. I've checked out some disk cleaners and reg cleaners and I've had loads of problems including losing all of windows help and support files. Ccleaner brought up warnings for windows and dr. watson. Another crashed my laptop.

I could do with advise on free disk and reg cleaners. My laptop is slow. I know part of it is because I've installed quite a few neccessary programs, but I'm sure part of it is because it needs a bit of "housework" done.

d'oh! I nearly forgot to say, I've got windows xp
crdowner
I have used a few registry cleaners but have not been happy with any of them. Many registry cleaners are too aggresive and cause problems rather than solve them. If you find one that you can recommend, let us know.
woundedhealer
crdowner wrote:
I have used a few registry cleaners but have not been happy with any of them. Many registry cleaners are too aggresive and cause problems rather than solve them. If you find one that you can recommend, let us know.

I know what you mean by 'too aggressive'. All the ones I tried had good reviews. Maybe I would have been better off going for the ones with bad reviews. Wink I will certainly let you know If I find one that seems ok.

At least I've found what seems to be a decent unistaller in revo. [url] http://www.revouninstaller.com/[/url] As well as uninstalling a program it searches for other it's other files, including reg keys. These come up in bold print and you have to select these files yourself. Sometimes it comes up with a message that certain files will be deleted when the computer is shutdown.

One other good program i've found is unblocker http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker which unlocks files. you can also rename and delete files and folders with it. You can get rid of those annoying empty folders that windows won't let you delete.
affordablemediasolutions
One of the best i have used is Eusing Free Reg cleaner

Used it for a few years on lots of PC's without any problems

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm
woundedhealer
affordablemediasolutions wrote:
One of the best i have used is Eusing Free Reg cleaner

Used it for a few years on lots of PC's without any problems

I've just downloaded this. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to install it as I've still got loads of things to do tonight - thinking about it, I've got too much to do. My laptop is really slow at the moment. I've uninstalled programs and deleted files I don't need anymore in order to free up some space. Revo's seems to have removed the registry keys connected with the the programs, but I think there will still be more to get rid of.

I'll let you know how I get on with this.
Dakafall
Registry cleaners scare me Crying or Very sad They may say they are reliable but they might mess over your whole system, and I dont want to have to reformat again Evil or Very Mad
TomGrey
Thanks a lot for the unlocker tip, just what I need.

Also looking, slowly, for a good reg cleaner.
hunnyhiteshseth
I think you should get CCleaner. i.e. (Crap Cleaner)

It checks registry for errors, cleans it, wipe out useless temporary files & even give you privacy option to delete 'last opened files' record.
bulek
I use combination of TuneUp Utilities 2008 and CCleaner. They really clean out the mess Wink
woundedhealer
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

It checks registry for errors, cleans it, wipe out useless temporary files & even give you privacy option to delete 'last opened files' record.

As far as my experiences are concerned CCleaner should have stuck to it's former name of crap cleaner. I uninstalled it pretty quickly.

I haven't tried Tuneup utilities yet. I'll bear in mind when I've got time to try a few more things out.

Quote:
Thanks a lot for the unlocker tip, just what I need

One thing I like about Unlocker is it opens automaticaly when you fail to delete a file, so all you have to do is click to delete.
caa-noise
I have used jv16 tool to clean registry in winXP. It really works fine.
ddukki
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:

I just cleaned my computer last night and removed about 30 gigs of temporary files on my laptop. Darn those torrents! xD I've been using it for about six months now and it's really effective in clearing space and removing useless registry entries. It also asks you to backup the registry just in case.
ThePolemistis
I found Registery Healer to be very good back in the day. I tried it several years back, and it was shareware and still is. But I think it does 10 cleans, so you can clean again and again, or if not manually lookup key and delete it from registry.

It was very good and simple to use.
You can download it from here.
bloodrider
I would recommend you to use the TuneUP Utilities 2008, it has the software that you're asking.
If it's the best, I don't know, but I'm satisfied with this product and never had a problem. I think it's worth a try Wink
filesharing
I am using XP2Tune Utilities 2006 + Wise Registry Cleaner [Trial]
dude_xyx
I have used Ccleaner for a while now and it works well. Also not only temp files but it also clearn registry files. Its free too. I think its the best free tool for the job you can find.
tsuvik
CCleaner is the best software for this job. It is not only a potential file cleaner but it is also an effective registry cleaner.
swizzy
CCleaner works best for me... try the RegCleaner bundled with it works best...
Chinmoy
I agree, crap cleaner ccleaner is the best of the freewares. As for otherwise, i use tuneup utilities.
Diablosblizz
For cookie clean out you should use the built in disc cleanup, Disc Cleanup. It's simple enough, takes away unnecessary files and compresses your old files to save space. If your laptop has all these files deleted, yet it's still slow make sure you have adequate RAM and processor speed. If you have all that, then chances are you have viruses and trojans. Try doing some free online scans from Kaspersky or McAfee too see if you are completely clean. Revo Uninstaller is a great program for uninstalling programs, and I recommend it. Also, for registry cleaners make sure that they're not so harsh, as it could badly damage your system.

Good luck with your problems!
Indyan
Best Free Disk Cleaner : ccleaner
Best Registry Cleaner : Tuneup Utilities
Not sure about the best free registry cleaner.
fadirocks
i was impressed with Free Registry Cleaner

so far no system malfunctions just cleaner registry Smile