FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Main Hobby! (Guitar)

29t88
My Main Hobby Is Guitar... I've Played Since I was 9 And I Play Almost Every Day!!!
Guitar Is Just The Thing Of My Life!
I Could Never Live Without A Guitar Or Computer They R The Fun And Funny Things In My Life!
jwellsy
What kind of guitar?
Idoru
I also play some acoustic, and once had a great fan. A little kitten we had enjoyed it very much and could sit and listen,
watching with his big blue eyes, hour after hour. We found it quite cool with such a musical animal, and I felt encouraged
to keep going. We often did this little routine, but somehow it lost it's power when we found out that the kitten was... compleatly deaf Shocked lol
Insanity
It was probably mesmerized by your playing of the guitar anyways.
Sphaerenkern
I play the guitar for more than a year now, but I get annoyed... a mixture of "I can't write great songs" and "playing on your own is boring". Sad
jwellsy
If anyone likes Eva Cassidy there is a new guitar tab book of some of her arrangements.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwTdqPkluY&feature=related

The tab book is at her site.
http://www.evacassidy.com/gifts/guitarbk.htm
gtoroap
I would like learn to play guitar... but always I delay it. Maybe someday..
driftingfe3s
I learned to play the guitar a few years ago. I don't play very much these days but I should start up agian so that I can get better.
bonestorm74
I've been playing on and off for ten years now, and it is certainly a great way to relax and unwind. Nice to spend your time on learning a new skill also, instead of sitting in front of the tv, which amounts to wasted time in most cases.

You've just got to be careful you don't turn it up so loud your neighbours can't hear their own tv! Smile
MRaftery
I've been playing for about 9 years and couldn't be without it. It's strange but the intial feeling of "I wish I could play like that" never really goes away as the more you learn the more you realise there is to learn.

By the way, I'm thinking about buying a G&L Tribute S500. Does anyone own one?
Satori
I love to play guitar! I've had an electric for about 10 years that maybe got played for 2 of those 10 years...haha. But I got an acoustic electric about 3 years ago and have been playing nearly every day for about the past 2 years. I LOVE my acoustic. It's all I play, and I've gotten to the point where I really enjoy to play for others now. I'll play for anyone who'll listen really Smile It's a lot of fun, and a great way for me to relax.
McDucque
I've always wanted to learn how to play. I just don't have the knack for it, but I know the ability is there. I'm a very quick and adept learner with pretty dexterous fingers, yet when I pick up a guitar I can't really make it happen.

My dad was self-taught and in my eyes he plays very well, I don't have the same ability.

Maybe I need real lessons, or I'm just trying to learn from the wrong source?

Anyone have any good resources for learning?
jwellsy
Youtube has some great free video lessons.
Also check out http://www.threechordguitar.com/vids.htm

You have a much better chance of being successful if you start out on a decent guitar.
TomGrey
Thanks for the site ref for free guitar learning, it looks good.

But first time tuning is quite tough -- I know the sounds aren't quite the same, but not always sure which one really is higher or lower. Is that strange.

I'm just getting started, again, after starting a few times before.
taskendo
Learn guitar only for 3 months so far!!! I'm enjoying it.
dbershevits
I've only started learning Guitar this june, but its fun and if all goes well i'll buy a electric guitar for christmas.l
TomGrey
Is there a way to have my microphone pick up the guitar sound and tell me frequency -- which can help me tune it?
Ghost Rider103
I have never tried to play a guitar really.

I used to always want to give it a try, I guess I just never really found the time to try it out though. Seems like it takes a long time to get really good at it, but once you get good at it I think it is well worth it.
dbershevits
@TomGrey. I haven't heard of that being done before, so at a guess the answer is no..but maybe Guitar Center has a mic like that..Try going there and asking them. It is their job.
Satori
TomGrey wrote:
Is there a way to have my microphone pick up the guitar sound and tell me frequency -- which can help me tune it?

It's called a guitar tuner...you can buy them for as cheap as $15-20
jwellsy
Tom, try
http://www.aptuner.com/cgi-bin/aptuner/apmain.html

It's a free guitar tuner for your pc.
Idoru
The 'real' guitarr is more or less on the shelf, but the young one of the house got me playing again -
guitarr-hero. Laughing

Endless hours of meassured duels with the very small toy-guitarr. If someone told me ten years ago that I would
be totally consumed by playing a toy-guitarr with five buttons I would have laughed. Tell me now and I'm
fascinated. lol

Don't know if this game does any good for real playing, but it sure is fun. Very Happy
wellerchap
as I get to mid-life (42 now Crying or Very sad ) I've begun to develop a tick-list of things I'd like to do....guitar lessons are one of them, and to be proficient enough to make a nice sound. No desire to be in a band, just find it very relaxing...I've always had a vision of myself sat cross-legged under a tree in the middle of nowhere, strumming along to myself on a hot day!
gcaughill
29t88 wrote:
My Main Hobby Is Guitar... I've Played Since I was 9 And I Play Almost Every Day!!!
I Could Never Live Without A Guitar Or Computer They R The Fun And Funny Things In My Life!

Sounds like an interesting hobby. I tried to learn but was lazy. Hope to pick it up soon again though.

Guitar Hero is way too popular these days, is that anything like playing real guitar?
Satori
gcaughill wrote:
29t88 wrote:

Sounds like an interesting hobby. I tried to learn but was lazy. Hope to pick it up soon again though.

Guitar Hero is way too popular these days, is that anything like playing real guitar?

Personally, I think Guitar Hero is almost nothing like playing a real guitar. Out of all those games, the only one that even comes remotely close to simulating something real is the drum kit on Rock Band. But even that is sorely lacking compared to the real thing. I would much rather play my real guitar than Guitar Hero. I would also much rather play my real drum set than Rock Band. Those games just give people who don't play an instrument the illusion that they're good at playing guitar or drums, when in reality they aren't. I have a friend who's seriously considering getting a real drum kit because he likes playing the drums in Rock Band. I don't know if he'll actually get a real kit, but if he does, he may end up sorely disappointed. It's likely he'll realize how much harder it is to play the real thing and how much time and effort in the form of countless hours of practice it takes to acquire any sort of decent skill. I'm not sure he's got the patience to do it. That's why Rock Band and Guitar Hero are so popular. They offer seemingly wonderful results with much less time and effort. To me, they're just boring compared to the real thing.

To each his own I guess
jcvincent75
I started to play guitar since I was eight. and eventually, became a big fan of bass guitars. I became a bass player for three bands before I decided to quit and focus on my studies back in college.

I also play harmonica (though not that very good) and drums. I started to play drums back when I was nine and I started to study harmonica when I was 17.

Cheers!
Nathan_Turner
I agree with Satori. Guitar Hero is nothing like the real thing. The only thing guitar hero might help you with is finger movements. It wont help with your harmony. I dont think I know any song that uses 5 consecutive notes for a whole song
Dean_The_Great
TomGrey wrote:

You can get tuners that will show you the relative pitch to the note you want to tune to. It's mostly based on the A 440. But you can get ones with lots of options you can tweak. There may be on that can display the frequency for you.
dbershevits
Thanks Dean, i didn't know how to do that!
Rico
http://images.wwbw.com/products/full/Fender/155818.jpg

Decent in novel eye-popping finish, Fender Strat guitars have a huge seem and sense, by means of a contoured alder corpse, bolt-on maple neckline with rosewood fingerboard and late '60s headstock, three solitary loop pickups and normal tremolo scheme, the Affinity has the era vibe. Cool
brokenadvice
Idoru wrote:
I also play some acoustic, and once had a great fan. A little kitten we had enjoyed it very much and could sit and listen,
watching with his big blue eyes, hour after hour. We found it quite cool with such a musical animal, and I felt encouraged
to keep going. We often did this little routine, but somehow it lost it's power when we found out that the kitten was... compleatly deaf Shocked lol

He was probably feeling the minute vibrations with his whiskers.
tass_
The guitar.. yes, it's something I'm very fond of. Though, I'm really a bass guitar player, but I'm borrowing an acoustic guitar from a good friend of mine. I think I've been playing for about half a year now, mostly chords,

Recently I've been trying my luck learning scales and jazz guitar, http://justinguitar.com is really helpful : )
richard
I think the guitar is a very good musical instrument! Very Happy
adrianagg58
My favorites hobbies are Music, languages and tourism. I like to play the piano and sing. I studied more than 7 languages already and I have been traveling all around the world. Laughing
rogue_skydragon
I'm a huge fan of Les Paul Guitars! I've been playing guitar myself since I was 15, and my dream guitar would have to a Wine Red Les Paul...which I heard has been discontinued Sad
paul_indo
When I was young I played in a coup[le of bands but I haven't played much for a few years.

I'm not a great player but I enjoy it.
uchejohn
EACH TIME I ISOLATE MYSELF FROM PEOPLE MY MIND SWITCHES INTO ANOTHER FORMAT SUCH THAT I SEE MYSELF BEING LAUNCHED AUTOMATICALLY INTO A DREAM WORLD WHERE I TEND TO SEE VIRTALLY EVERYTHING I LOVE AND DESIRE. THIS PHENOMENON HAS SO GROWN SUCH THAT I OFTEN OBSERVE IT FROM TIME TO TIME. I NOW REGULARLY REVIEW MY FUTURE AND IN FACT REGULARLY UPDATE AND UPGRADE MY PLAN FOR TOMORROW. SO I THINK THAT MY MAIN HOBBY IS DAY DREAMING.
tomisme
Absolutely! Try recording it and playing back. It could help to improve your skill. Wink