FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fedora Core 9

csoftdev
What do you guys think of fedora core 9 as compared to any earlier releseases of Fedora Core?
I find that it is very slow as compared to earlier releases. Perhaps it is because of KDE 4 as I use mainly kde rather than gnome.
Does anyone else here has the same issue with me?

Very frequent, i find that things load really slowly especially when I use fedora. I am not quite sure what problem it might be so please give me your view.
Flarkis
I used to use Fedora Core as my main distro but with the newest release i have problems getting direct rendering to work so i switched to ubuntu. I think that if oyu are going to be using fedora you should probably only be considering using it for office work.
mehulved
csoftdev wrote:
I find that it is very slow as compared to earlier releases. Perhaps it is because of KDE 4 as I use mainly kde rather than gnome.

If you believe it's just KDE4 that's causing the problems, then isn't KDE 3 in the repos?
mehulved
Flarkis wrote:
I used to use Fedora Core as my main distro but with the newest release i have problems getting direct rendering to work so i switched to ubuntu.
You have got a nvidia card? F9 shipped with Xorg Server 1.5 which was a development version so nvidia(and prolly ATI, too) refused to ship the drivers for unreleased version. So, the drivers came only after the new version was released. So, after getting the latest updates all that is fixed.
LostOverThere
mehulved wrote:
csoftdev wrote:

If you believe it's just KDE4 that's causing the problems, then isn't KDE 3 in the repos?

I thought KDE4 was meant to be 20% faster then KDE3, so if that's so, downgrading shouldn't do anything. However, everyone has different experiences, so, who knows.
mehulved
LostOverThere wrote:
I thought KDE4 was meant to be 20% faster then KDE3, so if that's so, downgrading shouldn't do anything. However, everyone has different experiences, so, who knows.

Yes, but with the release of KDE 4.1 which is around the corner but 4.0.x has some problems with memory consumption, especially the earlier versions. From what I have heard, the last couple of versions of 4.0.x are much better. Let's wait for 4.1 release to know the truth.