FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Canada on downloading

misterXY
There is a huge debate on this topic, but in Canada the Tories want to pass the bill C-61
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/06/12/tech-copyright.html

I'm personally against this bill but some aren't.
ccube921
Its a sensible bill to protect creators but it will screw up the country, if only it were passed before the whole copyright infringement thing started.
Haelyn
Hmmm. Well it sounds good on line one, and then you read down and realise they are giving no rights whatsoever, because all the electronic files will be copy-protected, and you are fined 20k for breach of copy-protection if you try to make said legal copy.
LumberJack
Exactly, they are pretty much giving you a bunch of redundant rights, except, if there is DRM, well those rights are not really useful...
pll
Hey! Nice to see something in canada!
Well, I'm against this law project as I download tons of movies but...

I've read last year in the news-paper that Montreal was the first North American city where people was getting those movies.
As for example, they record the movie DIRECTLY from the theater with an hidden camera and they send it on the web once the movie is ended. And believe it or not, the article was saying that a film which was recorded from a theater at 11:00 AM (at montreal) was on the New-York city streets at 16 PM.

And the movie developpers can lose a lot of money with it.
That's why I would agree with this law project.....
misterXY
pll wrote:

I've read last year in the news-paper that Montreal was the first North American city where people was getting those movies.
As for example, they record the movie DIRECTLY from the theater with an hidden camera and they send it on the web once the movie is ended. And believe it or not, the article was saying that a film which was recorded from a theater at 11:00 AM (at montreal) was on the New-York city streets at 16 PM.

But now even software engineers are concerned about this bill! How can you protect your A/V without trying to hack it....etc... because this bill will make it illegal

[a software engineer rep from NAIT.ca ]
This is very stupid bill. And l hope it doesn't go through.

BTW. Saint John is older then quebec city Smile
Saint John the first city of N. America.
eday2010
While the bill makes legal sense, parts of it are not practical. The bill should contain something that states that copyright holders allow the purchaser to make the one copy per device by not implementing DRM. This is also impractical, of course.

The best thing would be if other companies followed Disney's lead. You can buy a version of the Wall-E DVD that contains a digital file of the movie that you can copy to your mp3 player, computer, or whatever.

This bill is mostly lip service. If you crack the DRM on the newest Britney Spears CD so you can have a copy on your mp3 player, no one will care or even know. The police won't break down your door and search your room or mp3 player to see if you made a copy of the songs. It's when you share your copies with millions of others on the Internet that people will care. For as long as there have been audio cassettes, people have been copying their music for themselves and what have you. Everyone knew about it. No one went to jail.
RubySlasher
You wouldn't steal a car

You wouldn't download a Canada
Dean_The_Great
I understand that a bill of this nature is inevitable and probably good, but this version of it is ridiculous and would result in catastrophic law suits and such that would totally ruin a lot of people, not to mention some industries. Plus, I am not confidant that my rights as creator would be properly protected in all circumstances.

Like the idea, write a better bill.
officernarc
pll wrote:

i'm definitely not convinced that downloading is as economically dangerous as everyone is making it out to be. 2008 was apparently a record year for hollywood with an over 9 billion dollar profit. i don't have the actual figure, unfortunately and i can't prove this, but...it's out there.

anyway, if hollywood is so worried about their profits, maybe they should make movies that people actually want to see instead of inundating us with more garbage.
LumberJack
I am sure their figures are bloated, they are most likely assuming each download would have translated into a sale.

This law was such a badly written law. Copyright protection Yes, but not at the cost of consumer rights.
misterXY
officernarc wrote:
pll wrote:

i'm definitely not convinced that downloading is as economically dangerous as everyone is making it out to be. 2008 was apparently a record year for hollywood with an over 9 billion dollar profit. i don't have the actual figure, unfortunately and i can't prove this, but...it's out there.

anyway, if hollywood is so worried about their profits, maybe they should make movies that people actually want to see instead of inundating us with more garbage.

And it's probably hidden, too make themselves too look like they lost billions upon billions, but most of it is garbage and remade.
Also, does anyone know the current status of the bill? Confused
kody
It seems to have disappeared from the media's radar. That doesn't bode well... Might allow them to sneak it thru!
tony
ccube921 wrote:
Its a sensible bill to protect creators but it will screw up the country, if only it were passed before the whole copyright infringement thing started.

Yeah; I have to agree with ccube. Although, that may even be too optimistic; i think it may have also failed if it were older too...