FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Auto ALT-TAB similarity

Craeft
I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, so forgive me if it isn't.

Anyway, it seems I can play any game, use any program, etc. without issue. However, as I am playing UT2004, many times when I go to fire my weapon after a brief while of not firing, it minimizes the game and takes me to my desktop (or previous program) as though I had ALT-TABBed. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know the cause of it. I consider myself pretty computer saavy, but this one has me stumped. For a while there, I thought it was my firewall/security (Comodo) because a dialogue box would be open in the lower right corner pertaining to the game file. So, I made the game a "trusted application" to Comodo. The game still does it, but the dialogue box is gone.

Specs:
I am running:

Windows XP x64
GeForce 8800 GTX OC
AMD Athlon XP 64 x2
4GB PC6400

Any help would be great. Thanks. Smile
Craeft
Sad Was hoping someone else would have also experienced this gamer's hell. Ah well... back to the guessing.
positive_vibes
The only times I have ever experienced the annoyance of full screen minimization is when another process becomes the active window. If you are not manually changing the active process window via hotkeys, then you may have a rogue program doing it automatically. My suggestion would be hunting for the process that may be causing this, and stopping it whilst you play your game. Perhaps your firewall that had appeared to be causing the problem? I'm guessing it is a process that runs on startup that you installed shortly prior to noticing the problem. I can't think of any type of malfunction in hardware or software that would cause such a problem. I also suggest checking the hotkeys in the game that you play and see if you are not doing it yourself by accident (kinda doubt it but worth a try).
Craeft
positive_vibes wrote:
The only times I have ever experienced the annoyance of full screen minimization is when another process becomes the active window. If you are not manually changing the active process window via hotkeys, then you may have a rogue program doing it automatically. My suggestion would be hunting for the process that may be causing this, and stopping it whilst you play your game. Perhaps your firewall that had appeared to be causing the problem? I'm guessing it is a process that runs on startup that you installed shortly prior to noticing the problem. I can't think of any type of malfunction in hardware or software that would cause such a problem. I also suggest checking the hotkeys in the game that you play and see if you are not doing it yourself by accident (kinda doubt it but worth a try).

That was my initial thought, as well. However, it only happens with that one game and no others. And only happens about roughly 70-80% of the time I click the mouse to fire.
positive_vibes
Craeft wrote:
positive_vibes wrote:

That was my initial thought, as well. However, it only happens with that one game and no others. And only happens about roughly 70-80% of the time I click the mouse to fire.

That is very strange indeed. Have you tried a fresh install of the game yet?
Craeft
positive_vibes wrote:
Craeft wrote:
positive_vibes wrote:

That is very strange indeed. Have you tried a fresh install of the game yet?

Yes. Actually, this was a fresh install. But tried a reinstall when I noticed it happening. The only thing I can think of is that this is a 64-bit system and the game is a little older. But if that were the issue, the game either wouldn't work at all or blue-screen me.