FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Very interesting photos aired from WWII

wellerchap
Anyone with an interest in WWII (inc D-Day) click here for a great slideshow, with commentary, of significant aerial photos.
I recommend!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7457795.stm
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Anyone with an interest in WWII (inc D-Day) click here for a great slideshow, with commentary, of significant aerial photos.
I recommend!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7457795.stm

I had a look at it is pretty amazing. I wonder how many of these photos are archived, still to be extracted. Almost inconceivable at that time that we would be watching all those photos on the Internet.

Some more photos available at this URL:

http://www.archives.gov/research/ww2/photos/images/thumbnails/index.html
c'tair
Great photos, really great. It's quite moving how none of the people then expected these photos to one day be digitalized and presented to thousands upon thousands of people yet unborn.
Coclus
very informative
ptfrances
Very interesting picture and explanation. Yhe quality of some of these picture is amazing.
Cuncha
Wow! That is tremendous. I love anything to do with WW2. And these photos are a great find.
Farqual
That's amazing !
wellerchap
ptfrances wrote:
Yhe quality of some of these picture is amazing.

Obviously, even back then, the Government/military will have had access to all the best gear.....makes you wonder just what capabilities (tech-wise) they have today, that we don't know about.
Sejanus
WOW, thats really interessting stuff. Thank you very much!
rhocutt
cool (i love ww2 history)
nomadicadventure
Just recently I was going through my grandfathers photos with my family and we found tons and tons of pictures from Hawaii during WWII. Many of the photos were things that people had tried to send out to family in letters, apparently he was in charge of collecting all of them and never got rid of them. There are some really amazing wartime pictures in there that I feel like should be shared. If anyone knows of an institution, museum etc.. that would appreciate these please let me know. I'm sure its what my grandfather would have wanted.
wellerchap
nomadicadventure wrote:
Just recently I was going through my grandfathers photos with my family and we found tons and tons of pictures from Hawaii during WWII. Many of the photos were things that people had tried to send out to family in letters, apparently he was in charge of collecting all of them and never got rid of them. There are some really amazing wartime pictures in there that I feel like should be shared. If anyone knows of an institution, museum etc.. that would appreciate these please let me know. I'm sure its what my grandfather would have wanted.

Wow, that sounds fascinating......have you looked up American War Museums online?
Failing that, why not scan a few in and share them with us on here, or even construct your own website showing them, and maybe history on your Grandfather?
I for one would love to see those.
You're righ in wanting to get them aired....but make sure (if they indeed are legally yours, and not deemed army/government property) you retain possession of them.
Magicman
These are amazing photographs from a very historic time. It is astounding what kind of technology the government has over the general public in a way that these photos could be of such high quality.
eneroth3
good pictures.
I'm intresting in WW II.
MtgRuler
Wow, that was really good.
I especially liked the part about how the concentration camps, from the arial perspective, only looked like POW camps, or a labor camp.